HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:53 AM
Holland
Joined Apr 2003
145 Posts
Why only single fan and not twin?

are you affraid to take it up to a twin 70 jet?
Hoeby is offline Find More Posts by Hoeby
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:13 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,508 Posts
Afraid? Ha Ha, I laugh in the face of danger!! Actually I would love to build a twin 70 for speed, I just think it would be in a completely different class than a single, and would have too much of an advantage.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:55 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,507 Posts
Two 35mm's equal a 70mm! Theres yer twin 70mm.

How about only past speed winners be the judge, you guys can share all the prizes you want.Y'all scrutinized my stuff and judged me and my skills, its only fair I get to do the same.
Qualifications? Ha! they're where the sun doesn't shine, on my wall! I have wood on the wall dating back to the 80's. I believe I've earned my stripes and gladly volunteer to stand as the Sargent at arms over the contest should I be asked. Unbiased you ask? Heck I'm on the East Coast.....oh and btw I'm after 250mph now days personally.
Tom
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:16 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,508 Posts
We have a qualified and willing thread moderator,cool! Thanks for stepping up Tom. You have my vote
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:29 AM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
We have a qualified and willing thread moderator,cool! Thanks for stepping up Tom. You have my vote
Thanks Apex!!

Regarding single v. multi fans, I personally would enjoy seeing a twin compete but Lee might be right regarding a large advantage they would have.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Last edited by pdawg; Dec 02, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:47 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,508 Posts
Just so that everyone knows about both threads I`m doing a couple of cross link posts. There is a very similar speed contest being batted around in the Scratch Built EDF forum. I`ve suggested in that thread, that we all get together here and included kits and/or arf airframes.

Here`s a link to the other thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=1683537&pp=20
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:54 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
If ApexAero will be doing the moderating, I think it might be a good idea to have him start a new thread dedicated to the speed contest.

That way he can edit the first post with standings and participants without trouble.
I love the discussion that's been happening in this thread, but I think logistically it would be better for the moderator to have the first post in the contest thread.
If there's another/better way to make it work, I'm all for that too.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:07 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
If ApexAero will be doing the moderating, I think it might be a good idea to have him start a new thread dedicated to the speed contest.

That way he can edit the first post with standings and participants without trouble.
I love the discussion that's been happening in this thread, but I think logistically it would be better for the moderator to have the first post in the contest thread.
If there's another/better way to make it work, I'm all for that too.
I think you are right. Are you up for a new thread Apex?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:40 PM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jan 2005
2,289 Posts
Two 35mm's equal a 70mm!

Area of 35mm Fan = 961 Sq mm X 2 fans is 1923 Square mm

Area of 1 - 70mm fan = 3848 Square mm

Two 35mm fans is not equal to 1 70 mm fan.

4 each - 35 mm fans = 3848 square mm and that is equal to one 70 mm fan.

Area of a circle is still A = π r2
Air Head is online now Find More Posts by Air Head
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:49 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
I was gonna let Apex slide on that one, but Air Head is right.
This is inexcusable for the moderator of a speed contest thread.

Wish I could count the number of thing I've said as a flippant comment that got "caught"
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:37 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
I think you are right. Are you up for a new thread Apex?
Heck yea! its easier typing than winding motors ain't it? lol
I'll devote some time to a contest rules setup etc for a 70mm unlimited electric ducted fan jet, my only reservation is that all wishing to participate must chronicle their build and include it to the thread as its built along with the progress of the thread. No personal bashing, and you can call me anything but late for a brew. As far as rating speeds, at first back when I was against diving but now am a proponent of it for flier safety and the pocket book. I recommend the matter of honor to the individual and the wisdom of the experienced to judge the viability of a stated power system of said airframe in the thread during the competition. Passes would be the required left and right passes in the same flight, two flights per session for an 4X averaged speed run, two lefts and two rights in the same flight. And how about a weight restriction of 1lb 10oz per square foot of area max? (thermal soaring is 29.5oz/sqft, F3S is 24.58oz/sqft) I think this would cover any 70mm twins,,,
The dive would be on the lines of the Europeans, or a good 50 to 75 yards level before timing via Doppler, video of wind/voice distortion sound won't be accepted. You/We know better. I know this needs more but I'm burned out and need feedback from you all on the new speed thread I'll open.

Airhead, that was a personal jibe toward Lee on his combat days as twin combat was limited to two .15's for the .30 max rule !
Tom
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ApexAero; Dec 03, 2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: weight regulation clarification
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:58 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Does the Speed Cup require 4 passes to be averaged?

I do understand the reasoning behind it, but I don't feel it's necessary IMO.
2 opposite direction passes, sure. But 4 passes often does require 2 flights, and sometimes that just doesn't happen in one day. Life gets in the way.

There are good doppler passes and there are great doppler passes.
To get a great pass, it's close to the camera and threaded down the pipe with little correction.
Just because the flight happens to have two great passes shouldn't mean it needs to be averaged with two other "not as good" passes.

The great pass means that the plane can do that speed. Fastest pass from the left gets counted, and the fastest pass from the right counts. No need to average it with another pass.

Other input appreciated. It's good to hash this stuff out now so we don't have to make something up in the middle of a decision that affects someone's standing.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:05 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
all wishing to participate must chronicle their build and include it to the thread as its built along with the progress of the thread.
This would mean anyone who's build a plane not specifically for this contest wouldn't be able to enter it.
If someone has a hot setup from the days of yore, I say let 'em run it!
It's Unlimited, so no need to force the plane to be built for this competition.

Quote:
how about a weight restriction of 1lb 10oz per square foot of area max?
Again... it's UNLIMITED!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jan 2005
2,289 Posts
how about a weight restriction of 1lb 10oz per square foot of area max?

Whats the point of the weight restriction?
Air Head is online now Find More Posts by Air Head
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:34 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
My sport flying 130mph planes are at 1lb. 10oz per S.F.
A stock foam Habu is around the same.

Don't think that's going to work...

My 200mph Stryker comes in at 50oz./S.F.

No treat to fly it that heavy, but it takes power to go fast.