HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:33 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
379 Posts
The FPV setup looks intriguing. If the hardware is solid, you might sell a lot of them. Not to mention the googles. I'm definitely interested in learning more. If the price is reasonable on those a lot of people not into FPV might be interested. BTW, my username is a "classical reference" . Cheers.
speakertoanimals is offline Find More Posts by speakertoanimals
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:53 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
379 Posts
First test flights on my V959, indoors, with camera installed. WOW, everyone said this was stable, and it really is (once I corrected a brain-to-keyboard error). Really does feel ginormous compared to my micro Aries Ethos. Just mostly hovering and moving slowly around a 30x30 room with 12 foot ceilings. With the stock batteries the first flight was 7:50 with the camera off, second was 7:28 with 2 minutes of filming. Video quality was just what everyone has been reporting. Was surprised at a couple of things: first, if you descend quickly it takes a lot of throttle to stop and go back into a hover. Makes sense given the increased mass compared to the micros. Secondly, battery was low enough that a hover couldn't be maintained with a throttle setting just in the low 60s, while I'm used to landing the Ethos at about 85%. I suppose that sorta makes sense since the power to weight ratio for these mini quads is probably not as good as for the micros. I'm going to try to take it to a community center gym that hosts indoor flying next week as well as doing more indoor flights at work.
speakertoanimals is offline Find More Posts by speakertoanimals
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:27 AM
United States, MD, Havre De Grace
Joined Dec 2009
335 Posts
speakertoanimals

Most quads, even though very stable compared to heli's are not what they can be without a "good going over" first. MassiveRC is one of the few that go the extra mile in that regard. My v959 was truly "RTF" out of the box and spared me the troubleshooting. The v959 takes considerable time to do this and the legs/motor mounts were aligned, gears straightened and lubed, prop drive shafts set to proper lash etc. Not just a minimal test to see "if it works".This is even more crucial when it comes to FPV and payloads. I think your flight times, although good will slightly increase as the motors/gears, props "seat" and your lipos "season" a bit. I'm getting at least 8 min on the stock battery and a little over 10-10.5 min with the 600mah 35c turnigy nano-tech's.[without using the payload but still attached]. Happy flying !!
gamjamm is offline Find More Posts by gamjamm
Last edited by gamjamm; Mar 08, 2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:08 AM
Joined Dec 2009
335 Posts
MassiveMania Oh-No !! Not again !!

Well I guess I'll be spending some time on the v202 thread as I have pulled the trigger.....yet again. Ditched the scorpion canopy for a "beetle". A swap choice offered by MassiveRC and they set/trim it up for it also. I have a LB v2[walkera] and needed [wanted] another micro since I have two v949v2's and a v959 mini. You know, even the odds a bit My main decision came after my research seemed to confirm it is one of the best in class [if not the best] in relatively stiff wind. That and it flies like a bat out of similar to the LB. And before you ask....of course I ordered plenty spares !! I intend to be all "geared-up" when spring breaks
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:05 PM
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Dec 2012
180 Posts
First I gotta give a BIG SHOU! OUT to MO. Placed 2 orders on Monday 1 for H36 for a present for my nephew and an order for 3 to me (1 for me and 1 for each of my 2 Sons)and picked it up last night I am amazed and the speed and packaging skills he has. With that said .......MO do the v959 props fit a v949? I have a bunch comming from a slow boat from China but I can't wait. Thanks for all you do around here, any of you folks "thinking" about buying something, with out hesitation I highly recommend to check his place out!

JohnK
John Karlo is offline Find More Posts by John Karlo
Last edited by John Karlo; Mar 08, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:27 PM
Joined Dec 2009
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Karlo View Post
First I gotta give a BIG SHOU! OUT to MO. Placed 2 orders on Monday 1 for H36 for a present for my nephew and an order for 3 to me (1 for me and 1 for each of my 2 Sons)and picked it up last night I am amazed and the speed and packaging skills he has. With that said .......MO do the v959 props fit a v949? I have a bunch comming from a slow boat from China but I can't wait. Thanks for all you do around here, any of you folks "thinking" about buying something, with out hesitation I highly recommend to check his place out!

JohnK
The v959 props are longer than the v949, I have both. From what I can see the holding screw holes are in a different place also. I believe you can drill a hole on the opposite side to retrofit....how it affects flight I don't know. I believe there's clearance between props though.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:33 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,360 Posts
Thanks John. The V959 props can porbably be retrofitted as GJ stated, but the V959 motors are more powerful as well (so I'm told).

It's been quite awhile since I've flown my now cannibalized V929, but the V959 seems like it has much more punch even though it's heavier than the V929. Of course the stock batteries have probably seen upgrades as well.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:56 PM
Joined Feb 2013
71 Posts
I was considering the V959 when i read in this thread the V202 handles windy conditions better than the V959. Is this correct?.
Merc_ is offline Find More Posts by Merc_
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,360 Posts
Just about any micro quad is going to handle wind better than a mini quad, but yes the V202 pretty much scoffs at heavy winds.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:51 PM
Joined Feb 2013
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Just about any micro quad is going to handle wind better than a mini quad, but yes the V202 pretty much scoffs at heavy winds.
OK thanks. If youve seen it can i ask what your opinion is of the WLToys V911 in wind?
Last edited by Merc_; Mar 08, 2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:01 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc_ View Post
OK, If youve seen it can i ask what your opinion is of the WLToys V911 in wind?
V911, check my first blog. I've heavily......heavily modded my V911...........I'm one of the reasons why the Benma Helios has a paddled flybar.

I've flown my V911 in some pretty heavy winds, but it can't come close to performing like the V202 or any other micro quad for that matter in windy conditions.

Stock V911, forget about it, you would be lucky to handle 10 mph winds
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:21 PM
Joined Feb 2013
71 Posts
Thanks. Here in Florida near the coast it gets very windy - as you know.
In my opinion I think lucky if the stock V911 will even handle 5mph winds. I am trying to find something that will 'genuinely' handle wind. I cant work out if the V202 is it.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:24 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,360 Posts
Merc, where on the East Coast do you live?
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:33 PM
Joined Feb 2013
71 Posts
West Coast
Last edited by Merc_; Jun 16, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:37 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,360 Posts
Sorry, shouldn't have assumed you were on the East Coast. It's too bad you're that far away unless you want to make a drive and get a demo of the V202.
Site Sponsor