RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:09 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
825 Posts
Massive,

X-4 arrived today, need batteries and bumpers. Agile little sucker. I cringe everytime I land on the hardwood floors. Those motor wires are way too close to the floor. Now the only thing I need this week is a camera and V959 with batteries and spares.

PS

I sent my #2 daughter a mini-pet of her own so she won't have to weedle flight time from her boyfriend.
I'm always amazed at the speed of your shipping.

Ben
gentle ben is online now Find More Posts by gentle ben
Last edited by gentle ben; Jan 15, 2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:18 PM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,462 Posts
Ready..................set........................ ..........GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/...-video-and-fpv

Ben I can fulfill half your wishes this week. The other half will have to wait a week or two (hopefully not more).
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:29 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
"Sorry to hear about your misfortune Variant. Were you able to repair the V202 using th method I suggested for pulling the new wires through or did you try it another way?"

I ended up just cutting and soldering near the base of the motor. Kind of messy plus I can't get the LED to burn on that arm anymore. But it runs fine now. And it turns out there is an unused socket to run an extra LED from. I'm going to order a little mess of LEDs off Amazon for various projects anyhow.

My X4 is another matter. I was very impressed how well it flew in every way. There was no weak part in its programming. But I hit the wall once and it landed on its top. It sounded like an egg hitting the ground and popped two motors on the same side. I think what it needs, besides the capri straws and rubber feet, is a small thin piece of wire glued to its to its top, almost like an antenna. Having the motors as your highest point is a bad design. In other words, the X4 needs a rollbar.

What I'm going to do, instead of repairing the Hubsan, is order (fom you) the WLtoys V939/V202 centerpiece, some booms, new motors, and V202 feet. And put the X4 fc on it. I might shorten the booms to give it the same dimensions.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:55 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
825 Posts
Got it ...now for the rest
gentle ben is online now Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:14 AM
United States, GA, Mt Airy
Joined Dec 2001
878 Posts
Now I have to decide: Door A, Door B, orrrrr Door D
UniversalRC is online now Find More Posts by UniversalRC
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:51 AM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Thanks for the side by side cam videos on Massive RC's site, that's a really good way to see exactly what's going on. So if I understand these cams correctly, they need a class 10 SD card for best video right?
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:13 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
Thanks for the side by side cam videos on Massive RC's site, that's a really good way to see exactly what's going on. So if I understand these cams correctly, they need a class 10 SD card for best video right?
The general consensus I've seen is class 4 is fine. Firmware updates supposedly fix some class 10 card incompatibility, they're not necessary. I'm still trying to catch up myself.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:29 AM
pondside
Sutton, Ma.
Joined Aug 2010
149 Posts
For info on the cam, go here;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...56994&page=810
start at post # 1 thru # 5, then jump to here;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&pp=100&page=4

They update the firm ware every few months, so check back often.

BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
The general consensus I've seen is class 4 is fine. Firmware updates supposedly fix some class 10 card incompatibility, they're not necessary. I'm still trying to catch up myself.
pondside is offline Find More Posts by pondside
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,462 Posts
First video, the quality of the video on these is simply amazing:

WL Toys V202 quad with 808 keycam #16 V2 onboard cam (2 min 32 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:16 PM
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Video looks about as good as any I've seen on the gopo carrying quads. The V202 seemed to struggle carrying it though. Was it the wind and weight combo?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:45 PM
Long Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2006
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
What I'm going to do, instead of repairing the Hubsan, is order (fom you) the WLtoys V939/V202 centerpiece, some booms, new motors, and V202 feet. And put the X4 fc on it. I might shorten the booms to give it the same dimensions.
Do it, i'm glad i did. If done correctly come's out a couple grams lighter than the original x4, which we all know makes a big difference at this scale. So much more zippier and snappier with the lightened frame!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...80&postcount=3
specgie is offline Find More Posts by specgie
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:53 PM
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by specgie View Post
Do it, i'm glad i did. If done correctly come's out a couple grams lighter than the original x4, which we all know makes a big difference at this scale. So much more zippier and snappier with the lightened frame!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...80&postcount=3
I plan on it. And making a custom motor protecting canopy as well. From what time I've used of it so far, the X4 has the best fc. And the most comfortable game controller.....I mean transmitter.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:55 PM
Belle Chasse Southern, Louisiana, United States
Joined Apr 2002
748 Posts
Hey MO,

When do you think you'll be getting the rubber pieces for the x4 feet in?

Randy
Flyingfool is offline Find More Posts by Flyingfool
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:07 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
Video looks about as good as any I've seen on the gopo carrying quads. The V202 seemed to struggle carrying it though. Was it the wind and weight combo?
It was a combination of both. When I took it up above the house the wind was calm. When I flew the older 808 crapcam I flew without canopy, housing or internal battery. This time I had the housing half with the power\record buttons, a 90 mAh battery (2 grams) and a stock canopy.

If I strip it down to just the board and use a power passthrough connector like before it could handle some decent wind. The problem with the passthrough connecor is that eventually voltage will sag enough to where the cam shuts off.

This is also he first time I've run the cam underslung vs on top, which makes a big difference in stability. The ability to rotate video 180 degree in the cam config file is a godsend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfool View Post
Hey MO,

When do you think you'll be getting the rubber pieces for the x4 feet in?

Randy
They were shipped out yesterday FF, really thinking of bundling a set with our Hubsans.
RCG Plus Member