HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:05 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2007
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCrashTestDummy View Post
Man, that powerlab 6 looks pretty sweet. Which one of their 2 power supplies did/would you use, and for what reason? Doh, I also noticed they're out of stock at the moment.

-Pat
I went with the Power24 to have plenty of power for my Cellpro Powerlab 8. Also, the higher the voltage, the less amps needed so it is more efficient than using the Power12 and provides enough watts for the Powerlab 8 to push it to the max if I ever needed to.
kingiggy262 is online now Find More Posts by kingiggy262
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:44 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
RCCrashTestDummy's Avatar
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Okay, thanks K!

I appreciate the help,

-Pat
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:09 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Ok. I just got my X4 in today/tonight. What do I do? Where's the mode buttons?
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:11 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
873 Posts
Push straight in on the right stick. When the light flashes, you are in expert mode.
cyberbillp is online now Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:17 PM
What Do You Drive?
Pancari's Avatar
United States, PA, Folsom
Joined Jan 2012
699 Posts
You're gonna make a little snow get in the way of flying at 12am Robo??

Shame on you, that's why God made gloves, and the H36 with lights.
Pancari is offline Find More Posts by Pancari
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Judge Drops Drone Pilot Fine
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:49 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Ok here are my quick impressions of the X4:


Negatives:

Came with a Banggood sticker on the bottom I can't get off (I ordered this off BG a few weeks go). Looks like I have to use an exacto knife to remove.

Had hard time getting battery out first time. Bent bottom flap a little.

This thing looks fragile. My hardwood floor is already whispering "soon".

Only came one battery and no spare props. I wonder where I can get some?

Difficult to orientate at a distance. And by distance I mean across my living room.

Needed quite a bit of trim so far.

It's going to need several little mods before I fly it too much. Gotta protect those motors.

Has a high pitched whine even more noticeable than the MP.




Positives:

Flies as well as everyone hyped it. It's got the FFF of my U816, the precise yaw and beginner mode of the MP, and the stability/reflexes of the V202. Has the fastest yaw hands down. Reminds me of the V911.

Looks to be the indoor flying champ. I had no problem weaving it under my furniture just now. It's nano size is the equivalent of flying my V949 in a gym almost.

Looks really nice with its beady blue eyes. Too bad it has a battery cable hanging out of its ass. Can't win 'em all.

The controller is pretty nice. No complaints there.




I haven't tried to flip it yet. I'm not brave enough yet. Overall, as long it doesn't tear up, I'd say its a winner.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Last edited by variantman; Jan 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:18 PM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
Ok here are my quick impressions of the X4:


Negatives:

Came with a Banggood sticker on the bottom I can't get off (I ordered this off BG a few weeks go). Looks like I have to use an exacto knife to remove.

Had hard time getting battery out first time. Bent bottom flap a little.

This thing looks fragile. My hardwood floor is already whispering "soon".

Only came one battery and no spare props. I wonder where I can get some?

Difficult to orientate at a distance. And by distance I mean across my living room.

Needed quite a bit of trim so far.

It's going to need several little mods before I fly it too much. Gotta protect those motors.

Has a high pitched whine even more noticeable than the MP.




Positives:

Flies as well as everyone hyped it. It's got the FFF of my U816, the precise yaw and beginner mode of the MP, and the stability/reflexes of the V202. Has the fastest yaw hands down. Reminds me of the V911.

Looks to be the indoor flying champ. I had no problem weaving it under my furniture just now. It's nano size is the equivalent of flying my V949 in a gym almost.

Looks really nice with its beady blue eyes. Too bad it has a battery cable hanging out of its ass. Can't win 'em all.

The controller is pretty nice. No complaints there.




I haven't tried to flip it yet. I'm not brave enough yet. Overall, as long it doesn't tear up, I'd say its a winner.
I bet MO won't make that mistake. BG has this false impression that they have to plaster their name everywhere to get people to notice, when all they need to do was simply to keep doing what they've been doing. (except the sticker bit of course )
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:38 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I bet MO won't make that mistake. BG has this false impression that they have to plaster their name everywhere to get people to notice, when all they need to do was simply to keep doing what they've been doing. (except the sticker bit of course )
Not only is it ugly and hard to remove, it adds weight.

I got to say though, this thing is impressing me more and more. I was just flying it under a wheeled office chair with just a few inches of clearance. No problem at all. It makes me feel like a jedi. I got to say it outflies everything I have except maybe my V949 with GWS props. The worst thing about the X4 so so far is its sound.

I love all my quads though and each has its specialty.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:03 PM
Learning more each day....
craigiri's Avatar
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
518 Posts
Well, my X4 is now in the Bay in Rhode Island
:-(

Which brings me to possibly move on to another quad....although I really liked this one!

If any of you wants to buy the following stuff.....

TX with 4 good batteries
one lipo battery (almost new)
USB charger
2 sets new props
a few older decent props (whatever is on my desk).
One brand new body shell

I wil ship it in the USA anywhere priority mail for $29.50 paypal....

PM me if interested....thanks (hopefully this is not out of place on this thread!).
craigiri is online now Find More Posts by craigiri
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:21 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
mikefromgermany's Avatar
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I bet MO won't make that mistake. BG has this false impression that they have to plaster their name everywhere to get people to notice, when all they need to do was simply to keep doing what they've been doing. (except the sticker bit of course )
The hard-to-peel-off-sticker has sth. to do with warranty claims.
you have to make a picture of this sticker on a defective item for a refund etc...
It has been reported that there were some customers who tried to pull a fraud with banggood.
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Casal C6P Charger Review
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:39 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Well my X4 is out. Just spun into a wall and it hit the floor with a thud. Both motors on same side out. Shoulda put those straws on there already. That's four motors in one week.

V202 motor out. Repaired.
MP motor out after trying to a flip inside without canopy. Repaired.
X4 now out two motors.

Anybody got any judo mats I can line up my house with?

Well at least MO sells motors pretty cheap.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:36 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
Makdaddy's Avatar
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,043 Posts
Hey MC, James,
I was wondering if you plan on carrying something larger as far as quads go.
I have a v939 but find it can out of orientation sooner then most. It is great for a smaller area, but prefer to let em zoom .
I prefer something in the size like the V929, 949, 959 range (even larger)..
Do you plan on anything like that in the near future?
Makdaddy is online now Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:04 PM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
The hard-to-peel-off-sticker has sth. to do with warranty claims.
you have to make a picture of this sticker on a defective item for a refund etc...
It has been reported that there were some customers who tried to pull a fraud with banggood.
-mike-
Now things begin to make more sense. It's a territorial marker, like an animal pissing on its tract.
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:05 PM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
Well my X4 is out. Just spun into a wall and it hit the floor with a thud. Both motors on same side out. Shoulda put those straws on there already. That's four motors in one week.

V202 motor out. Repaired.
MP motor out after trying to a flip inside without canopy. Repaired.
X4 now out two motors.

Anybody got any judo mats I can line up my house with?

Well at least MO sells motors pretty cheap.
v, I feel your pain, look on the bright side, you are getting good at repairs.
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:49 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
v, I feel your pain, look on the bright side, you are getting good at repairs.
What I've learned is that quadcopters are cheap. All the accessories and tools, however, add up. And of course you can't have just one....


By the way in all three incidents have one thing in common: The motors/props were sitting up as the highest point on the body (or close to it) when they crashed.

I was flying the V202 without the canopy.
I was flying the MP without a canopy.
The X4 of course is just made that way.

I'm thinking making a sort of wire cage canopy for my V202. Take some 20-24g wire and hammer it for strength. Make two intersecting arches that intersect over the FC. I figure having it about 2" high.

The advantages would be:

It would help protect the motors from a top down crash.
Light weight.
Would let the FC LED be visible for night flying.
Would be aerodynamically efficient.
Would look non-toylike
Still give easy access to the fc for repairs
Grip point for hand launching/catching
Easy and cheap to make
Won't interfere with removing/inserting battery (unlike the MP)
Can be customized in various ways
Would allow ceiling skimming/landing


Something sort of like this:

variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Getting married ? Obama wants your money realtimerecon Life, The Universe, and Politics 29 Jun 24, 2012 03:04 PM
Discussion Higher HEalth Care Taxes If You Are Married Real Ira Life, The Universe, and Politics 18 Jan 10, 2010 10:04 AM
Those of you who are married NewbieX Life, The Universe, and Politics 27 Jul 15, 2003 08:47 PM
Gonna get married: advise/warning wanted!! RookieOne Life, The Universe, and Politics 32 Apr 25, 2002 11:24 AM
Getting Married.....see you all in a few weeks !!! Alan W Life, The Universe, and Politics 25 Jun 11, 2001 04:13 PM