HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:08 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
I have a X4 on the way from Banggood. What's the summary to fix the X4's flaws?

1. Calibrate it?
2. Tape booms?
3. Add rubber pads to feet?
4. Add capri straws to protect motors?
5. Optional green/orange props for orientation help?

None of those sound difficult, except for finding the right rubber feet things.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:17 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbillp View Post
Before the X4 love fest gets carried away..... It's got minor problems.
Not that they can't be addressed. But here's what I found so far.

Crashing inverted busts motors (two so far).
Chassis buzzes and vibrates (tape it).
Body cracks (hmmm).
Can't bind with a better radio (true with many mini's).
To small (not an issue indoors, but outside...).

So while it's cute. I'm surprised it's as fragile as it is.
I think the other mini quads are all more resilient.
I don't have any experience with these nano quads, yet. My quads are not direct drive. Is this a common problem with quads with direct drive? It seems that the props are not protected and any impact would directly be transferred to the motor shaft and cap. Versus the other quads with gears, impact on the props have no direct effect on the motors.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:23 PM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,504 Posts
V202, V939, Mini Pet, MJX X100, H36 (and possibly others) all have built-in prop-motor protection, either built into the motor mount or the prop itself.

X4 does not have this built in.
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:26 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,854 Posts
Could you educate me what such a Prop-Motor protection look like or how it functions?
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:56 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Could you educate me what such a Prop-Motor protection look like or how it functions?

The left is the H36, where the motor mount has a plastic cylinder rising out of the mount to limit the prop from impacting the motor.

The middle is the V202\V939 prop that has a cylinder built into and below the prop center that take up the slack between the prop bottom and motor casing

The last is the Mini Pets motor mount that also has a plastic cylinder rising out of the mount to limit the prop from impacting the motor.

Here you can see the difference between the protected motor on the left and the unprotected one on the right on the Hubsan. This picture also shows my effort to reduce vibration by putting hot glue on each side of the motor where it contacts the Hubsan motor mount:

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; Jan 21, 2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:22 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
2,986 Posts
Hmm it comes to only one point down imho:

The X4 is not for beginners!
too small, too fast, too agile, too fragile (at WOT-crashs).

I've got two for two months now fly them 4 batts a day (2 each), absolutely a blast, one frame down due to a mentioned WOT crash in a wall - got a little too brave 20m away
one broken motor end cap before I made the "capri-mod" and two or three bent props.
That's yet. No further damages.... Can't complain about the overall quality.

-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Casal C6P Charger Review
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:26 AM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbillp View Post
Before the X4 love fest gets carried away..... It's got minor problems.
Not that they can't be addressed. But here's what I found so far.

Crashing inverted busts motors (two so far).
Chassis buzzes and vibrates (tape it).
Body cracks (hmmm).
Can't bind with a better radio (true with many mini's).
To small (not an issue indoors, but outside...).

So while it's cute. I'm surprised it's as fragile as it is.
I think the other mini quads are all more resilient.
Hah!

Well Bill,

As someone on the "outside" who's flown all 3, (The X4, V202, and H36) I would like to hear your straight-up honest opinion on which one of the 3 you like the best using only the stock controller. (I don't own the 9XR yet) I don't think Mass would mind because he has, or will have all 3 here shortly.

7 categories using 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place should do the trick (Listed in no particular order....well kinda )

#1 Overall Performance

#2 Bang for your buck

#3 Durability

#4 Parts availability (Including Batts/cost of parts/etc.)

#5 Outdoor flight capabilities (Wind)

#6 Indoor flight capabilities (How stable/ability to get out of trouble quick)

#7 Easiest to fly period. (I may buy one just to let friends fly)

I would have thrown in these but......

Price (Already know)....Visibility (Paint, colored props, etc. can be changed to help. Although the X4 is smaller)........Looks (Subjective, X4 hands down in my opinion)

I'm sure I've forgot a few Q's, but I’m getting tired. Mass, James, and anyone else with experience flying all 3, please chime-in with your personal opinion. You two have earned my trust with your previous reviews and constant willingness to help others.

-Peace
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:51 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,556 Posts
The popping of the motor endcap is the same issue with the tail motor of helis like the mSR. You help prevent it by making sure the prop takes up as much of the shaft as possible.

The X4 has that dome/cap on their props. That prevents the prop from being seated all the way on the motor shaft.

So, I thought it's logical to do one of the following:
You can cut the motor shaft shorter. That way, when prop is on...it's seated almost all the way down, close to the motor.
or
Extend the hole through each prop to allow it to take more of the shaft.
or
Use another miniquad's props. Didn't someone mention the u816 prop being the best?
or
Do the straw mod.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:21 AM
Joined Aug 2011
5,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
The popping of the motor endcap is the same issue with the tail motor of helis like the mSR. You help prevent it by making sure the prop takes up as much of the shaft as possible.

The X4 has that dome/cap on their props. That prevents the prop from being seated all the way on the motor shaft.

So, I thought it's logical to do one of the following:
You can cut the motor shaft shorter. That way, when prop is on...it's seated almost all the way down, close to the motor.
or
Extend the hole through each prop to allow it to take more of the shaft.
or
Use another miniquad's props. Didn't someone mention the u816 prop being the best?
or
Do the straw mod.
Thanks, Massive and Daryoon. I'm learning something that I didn't know before today.

Daryoon, regarding your remedy #2, by extending the hole through the cap, letting the prop sit lower and close to the motor, when the prop got hit, less force is transferred down the shaft. But what if the protruding shaft hit the hard surface? Don't we still have to cut the shaft like #1?

Please point me to understand #4, "straw mod".
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:23 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,556 Posts
I was hoping remedy #2 still didn't require drilling all the way through and allow the shaft to protrude. The rounded over end cap of the prop looks finished to me so I'd prefer to keep it that way. One of those things that will be easier answer if I had the items in my hand to look at.

I think cutting the motor shaft is easy enough mod and it'll retain the look of the X4 prop.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Jan 02, 2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:49 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Thanks, Massive and Daryoon. I'm learning something that I didn't know before today.

Daryoon, regarding your remedy #2, by extending the hole through the cap, letting the prop sit lower and close to the motor, when the prop got hit, less force is transferred down the shaft. But what if the protruding shaft hit the hard surface? Don't we still have to cut the shaft like #1?

Please point me to understand #4, "straw mod".
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=14

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:22 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,504 Posts
OK, here are my rankings:

7 categories using 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place should do the trick (Listed in no particular order....well kinda )

#1 Overall Performance

V202, it's smoothness and transition from 0-100% cyclic is the best I've ever flown on stock transmitter. Altitude control is the best I've flown. Banked turning is the best I've flown, equal if not better than the V939. Flips are ridiculously easy to do in rapid succession. Its precise control hands on is amazing. It can do funnels
X4, trying to be fair as mine is just too temperamental and I haven't flown it with the landing gear mod which lowers the COG and increases it's performance greatly according to James. It's robotic precision was really neat until I flew the V202. I feel the 6043\6044 (and Ares Ethos if confirmed has the same programming) are a better alternative to the X4. It can do funnels although I haven't tried myself. Flips are OK, not hard to do, but squirly afterwards.
H36, very very fast but has altitude control problems, much of which can be fixed with different props. It doesn't do banked turns very well. One-button flips that automatically throttle up for you as a function of the RX board.

#2 Bang for your buck

V202
H36, LED eyes not sufficient enough for nighttime flying, Turnigy 9X compatible
X4, LED eyes useless, can't be flown outdoors at distance because it's too small, its a close-quarters quad, may soon be a Traxxas-only item, supply is limited driving prices up. Requires perfect props, that can get expensive

#3 Durability

Keep in mind that is the cost of most repairs, the V202 and X4 rarely crash, and while the H36 is very durable, it's the most crash-prone of the 3 so you need to take this into consideration

H36=V202, pretty much just props, V202 LED holders can be lost if you don't glue them on, but heat shrink to the rescue (thanks Bill).
X4, horrible from motors to props to body needing bandaiding

#4 Parts availability (Including Batts/cost of parts/etc.)

V202, shares everything but RX board\TX with the V939
H36, not too popular yet, but really all you need is props and canopies
X4, may soon be a Traxxas-only item, supply is limited driving prices up, many outlets don't even carry spares

#5 Outdoor flight capabilities (Wind)

V202, wind? what is this wind thing you speak of?
X4, wind? don't worry about the wind, worry about playing hide and seek with me!!
H36, I like wind, I don't like turning, I like to go from point A to point B as fast as possible........help!! I've fallen and can't get up (fixed with different props). The H36 does have a range problem with the stock transmitter. It won't be seen until you get in a large enough field where it will fall out of the sky. Need to be tested with WL Toys transmitter to see if printed circuit board antenna (and 4 vs 6 AA batteries) is th culprit

#6 Indoor flight capabilities (How stable/ability to get out of trouble quick)

Hands-Off X4, precise if unnatural feel
Hands-On V202, overcompensation is moot with this quad, 5 rate settings unrivaled
H36, she really is too fast to fly inside. No other quad I've flown accelerates as fast as the H36.......I'm talking acceleration and not top speed, although the H36 does have a high top speed

#7 Easiest to fly period. (I may buy one just to let friends fly)

This really needs broken up into indoors and outdoors. Indoors the X4 may have the edge, outdoors the V202 stomps the X4

Hands-off X4, I think it's too twitchy for beginners, but this is more personal preference
Hands-on V202, if it weren't for the hands-off issue it would be perfect. The 5 rate setting is really nice. If you can teach beginners to keep their fingers on the sticks and not rely on tapping the sticks and return-to-neutral the V202 feels alot more natural
H36, you'll be breaking dishes and wine glasses

I would have thrown in these but......

Price (Already know)....Visibility (Paint, colored props, etc. can be changed to help. Although the X4 is smaller)........Looks (Subjective, X4 hands down in my opinion)

Mini Pet had the visibily crown. The V202 with the green\orange prop scheme really gives it a run for its money. Mini Pet yellow canopy still wins as best visible canopy color scheme. I think the V202 could match the MP LED lighting if the holders are cut back to expose more of the LED or using heat shrink. Using other props on the X4 isn't always viable as it's really susceptible to vibrations.

Looks and portability are the X4's unrivaled strengths

I'm sure I've forgot a few Q's, but I’m getting tired. Mass, James, and anyone else with experience flying all 3, please chime-in with your personal opinion. You two have earned my trust with your previous reviews and constant willingness to help others.

-Peace
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:12 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
Got my H36 today with the MP props. Love the packing job!!!! Super fast shipping, too. Can't wait to try it out tonight. Thanks guys!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:25 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Got my H36 today with the MP props. Love the packing job!!!! Super fast shipping, too. Can't wait to try it out tonight. Thanks guys!
Thanks Robo, packing is only going to get better with our new quad boxes (no more manually making the quad carboard packing platform), which you could probably re-use to transport the quad.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:20 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,504 Posts
Hey guys, we just ordered 600 sets of these:

We're getting the rubber inserts but we're pushing hard for the silver cups as well.

In addition, we were wrong...................quads aren't the next Elmo, this is:

RCG Plus Member