HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:07 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,334 Posts
Massive RC, Massive Fun...

My Son and I had a blast! On initial startup the MP got into this little oscillation and for some reason it caught us so off guard that we couldn't stop laughing for 5 mins. He did really well going on from his Syma. I am very proud. For doing it in the living room the first time, as oppose to outdoor, i think we did pretty well. Very well controlled. No major crashes other than occasional bump to a wall. pretty accurate. I cannot believe how long those batteries last. Just 3 batteries kept us busy for like an hour (but granted with as much time on the ground than in the air). Still, I'll take any day 1 hr of quality time with my Son. He actually said he will put down his computer and come with me to the field on Saturday which make me very happy. I have an 808 Cam ready for it...

The MP is not happy right now tough. on take off it starts running on the ground either fwd or backwards as oppose to hover. For example:
- MP starts going fwd on takeoff, counteracting with a few clicks of opposite trim backwards doesn't take affect until the next click is too much and it starts to run in the opposite direction.
- And vice versa when its running on the ground backwards and fwd trim is either not affective or one more click will just make it run fwd.

Need to research it, unless you gents know? a Gyro problem perhaps? Hopefully we didn't toast it on the first night...

Good stuff, we had a blast!
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
My Son and I had a blast! On initial startup the MP got into this little oscillation and for some reason it caught us so off guard that we couldn't stop laughing for 5 mins. He did really well going on from his Syma. I am very proud. For doing it in the living room the first time, as oppose to outdoor, i think we did pretty well. Very well controlled. No major crashes other than occasional bump to a wall. pretty accurate. I cannot believe how long those batteries last. Just 3 batteries kept us busy for like an hour (but granted with as much time on the ground than in the air). Still, I'll take any day 1 hr of quality time with my Son. He actually said he will put down his computer and come with me to the field on Saturday which make me very happy. I have an 808 Cam ready for it...

The MP is not happy right now tough. on take off it starts running on the ground either fwd or backwards as oppose to hover. For example:
- MP starts going fwd on takeoff, counteracting with a few clicks of opposite trim backwards doesn't take affect until the next click is too much and it starts to run in the opposite direction.
- And vice versa when its running on the ground backwards and fwd trim is either not affective or one more click will just make it run fwd.

Need to research it, unless you gents know? a Gyro problem perhaps? Hopefully we didn't toast it on the first night...

Check your blades. One could be pushed down too far on the motor and binding. They tend too slip down after hard crashes, I've noticed.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:15 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,203 Posts
Quote:

Try not to hover too close to the ground, ground effect will make it go one way or another. Mkae sure all props are secure, the MP props come off very easily.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:17 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
893 Posts
Would something like this work for the MP chargers? All of my computers USB ports are 2.0.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e5bd/
gentle ben is online now Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:47 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
Check your blades. One could be pushed down too far on the motor and binding. They tend too slip down after hard crashes, I've noticed.
No binding. I held it close to me and all motors seems to be running at the same speed as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Make sure all props are secure, the MP props come off very easily.
I tried to pull them and out and they would not badge. Do you just pull them out to take them off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle ben View Post
Would something like this work for the MP chargers? All of my computers USB ports are 2.0.
Why not use the same li-po charger presumably we all already have? I wonder what I am missing

Feel good being a noob at something again...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
You just pull 'em straight out as best you can. They can be easy to come off sometimes and other times they have a deathgrip. You might want to change all your blades and put the spare set on. See if that changes any reaction. These micros are kinda hard on props. I would order many spare sets. There's a post somewhere on balancing them also....that may improve some performance.

By the way, you are binding while the MP is on a level surface aren't you? Also check for any loose wiring. The soldering on the micros can be a bit fragile. A bad connection might interfere with a motor? Also, are any booms loose?
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:07 AM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,702 Posts
Quote:
I'll try a different USB Port. I used a front port which doesn't give as much amp as the back ones and its not a USB 3.0 one either. I am trying now one of the back USB 3.0 ports.

- Any reason why not to use a Thunder AC6 like charger? I can set it to 1S 300mah... I am assuming you cannot charge the stock batteries at more than 1C....

- Do they sell such charge cables? If not, anyone got a link to where I can get such female adapter? Not sure what they are called. I am assuming they sell those as oppose to have to botcher a USB charge cable (but that is ok too) and then I'll solder my own.

I didn't realize the nanos were for the MP or else I would have gotten those. I originally put them in my cart, read their description again and looked at the pic of the adapter, and somehow concluded they are not for the MP.
James/Massive, I think you may want to state in the nanos description explicitly that they are for the MP as well. Embarrassing, but somehow I didn't get that, so others may get confused as well.

No binding. I held it close to me and all motors seems to be running at the same speed as far as I can tell.

I tried to pull them and out and they would not badge. Do you just pull them out to take them off?

Why not use the same li-po charger presumably we all already have? I wonder what I am missing

Feel good being a noob at something again...

Hey Arnav, here's the micro battery charging thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...i+charg+thread

If you want some Nanotechs sent with the stock spare battery we owe you, let me know and I'll throw them in the same pacakge and refund you the shipping charge on the Nanotechs. I'll hold off dropping off the packages until later to give you a chance to respond.

Glad you're having a blast.

The stock props are probably glued on as they don't come off easy, they take quite a bit of force. Once you've removed the props once, then they come off easier. If your props aren't bent don't remove them. Push the motors upwards (thumb on the rubber bumper) and you'll gain about 1mm of play you need. If there's still not enough play then you can slowly use a pinching motion with your thumb and index finger to pull the prop up off the shaft. If the prop comes off completely, then you can push it back on and try again. Also check for stray hairs wound up on the prop shaft.

The stock USB chargers will charge to about ~4.2-4.3V, which is slightly overcharged (4.2V for 1S is normal). As long as you're not storing them for weeks in this state, you should be OK. using an aftermarket charger where you can monitor your peak charge will extend the life of your lipos and are worth the investment if you have a fleet to maintain, but it's not necessary for just your one quad.

If you want, time how long it takes for a fully discharged battery to charge (where the light on the USB charger goes out). Then the next time you charge, just charge it for 10-15 minutes less and you should get around the 90% mark, which will prolong the life of the batteries and reduce your waiting times as well:

http://www.4-max.co.uk/pdf/What%20th...Po%20cells.pdf

Whether you use the stock charger or buy an aftermarket, you should never charge them when you're not around. I charge mine in small clay pot just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Try not to hover too close to the ground, ground effect will make it go one way or another. Mkae sure all props are secure, the MP props come off very easily.
Just to expand on what Stonecutter said:
When doing the shimmy shimmy
mini pet shimmy (2 min 7 sec)

If you want to learn the directions using the shimmy method, that's OK, but if you want to take off into the air, don't mess around, blip the throttle to about 40% and get the MP high enough in the air so that it's not being affected by ground air wash.

Quote:

That would work, but really any USB charger that puts out a decent 5V should work. You don't want to use a non-powered USB hub that's run off your computer. Alot of newer computers have a USB port that are specifically designed for charging USB accessories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
You just pull 'em straight out as best you can. They can be easy to come off sometimes and other times they have a deathgrip. You might want to change all your blades and put the spare set on. See if that changes any reaction. These micros are kinda hard on props. I would order many spare sets. There's a post somewhere on balancing them also....that may improve some performance.

By the way, you are binding while the MP is on a level surface aren't you? Also check for any loose wiring. The soldering on the micros can be a bit fragile. A bad connection might interfere with a motor? Also, are any booms loose?
The booms shouldn't be loose, we check the screws on the booms on all of them now as part of our pre-check. The motor power plugs are pretty good on the MP (unlike WL Toys plugs which tend to be loose). It is really important to bind on a flat surface and the battery bulge shouldn't be inserted into the battery holder, the bulge should be external. The battery can shift on a crash, so make sure you check its position after a crash.

Beginners and daredevils, you can help save your props without buying fancy EPO guards......make them yourself:

Small zip ties:

Larger zip ties:

All four installed:

If you're wondering what that canopy is, I made it from a fruit cup container and used a hole punch for the boom mounting holes.

Fully installed, they add about 1g to the total weight of your Mini Pet and minimally impact flight performance, especially when compared to quads that come with full-perimeter plastic or EPO guards. They're cheap and replaceable. If you want more protection, at the expense of agility, make them into loops:

Use a nail clipper and make 3 cuts to round off the ends of the zip ties. Being poked with the zip tie hurts a lot less than being hit by the blade as well.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; Dec 04, 2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:14 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,002 Posts
I just noticed you guys are right here in town! Awesome!
cyberbillp is online now Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:15 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
The stock props are probably glued on as they don't come off easy, they take quite a bit of force. Once you've removed the props once, then they come off easier.
I don't have a Mini Pet, but an MJX X100, which is the same thing. Even down to the strange whine it makes in videos, and with the same canopy on it, you can't tell.

Props aren't glued on, those props just fit really well. I tested some way back here and the LB and the X100 (MP) props just seem to have a smaller hole, so are tough to get on, then even tougher to get off. If they get loose, then the merest wipe of CA glue with the end of a cocktail stick in the hole and left to dry makes the hole that little bit smaller and they'll be nice and tight again.

BTW, for new fliers, LB props are a lot softer and less prone to snapping on impact, even though the lift is slightly less.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbillp View Post
I just noticed you guys are right here in town! Awesome!
Small world eh? Hey Bill, you're right around the corner, you want me to drop off your order when I drop off the other packages? Save you some shipping? I usually head out around 1:30PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
I don't have a Mini Pet, but an MJX X100, which is the same thing. Even down to the strange whine it makes in videos, and with the same canopy on it, you can't tell.

Props aren't glued on, those props just fit really well. I tested some way back here and the LB and the X100 (MP) props just seem to have a smaller hole, so are tough to get on, then even tougher to get off. If they get loose, then the merest wipe of CA glue with the end of a cocktail stick in the hole and left to dry makes the hole that little bit smaller and they'll be nice and tight again.

BTW, for new fliers, LB props are a lot softer and less prone to snapping on impact, even though the lift is slightly less.
Another thing you all should be careful of is cold weather flying. Everything gets brittle at colder temperatures and lipos don't like it either.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:06 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,100 Posts
Quote:

Yes that will work. I don't have that exact model but I use the ac wall usb chargers all of the time for charging these little batteries. When I don't feel like pulling out my full size charger or I'm just taking a small quad or heli with me on vacation instead I take one of these along.

Also you might already have one laying around the house. Many phones now come with a USB style wall wart. If you do you can just use it.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:40 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,334 Posts
Thanks Massive for the nano offer. I think 4 batteries for now is fine (famous last words...). Your shipping is very reasonable if I want more later...

I spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting the MP this AM (switched blades, took hair out, etc'). I had prepared this long post on how I am still lost as nothing seems to help and everything I tried. I literally was about to press the submit button when I figured I will give it one very final try and what do you know? Flies like a champ. Not sure what happened there then, but I'll take it. I will keep you posted if it changes its mind again. I am looking forward to flying it again with my son later...

BTW, is there a dedicated thread for these? I don't want to hijack this "announcement" thread...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,702 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out Arnav. There are mutliple MP threads, but we're fine with you discussing it here as well, I'll probably update this thread with MP-related material, but I'll try to crosspost as well. The other Mini Pet threads are:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=mini+pet

and the MJX X100 is nearly identical:

RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:12 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,334 Posts
I loved your suggestion and followed suit. Should be perfect and really useful for us beginners.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,702 Posts
Quote:
I loved your suggestion and followed suit. Should be perfect and really useful for us beginners.
Good job! should make your spares last a bit longer. You can pull the 'knots' towards the motor and the loop will give better bounce\resistance in the direction of travel, like this:

RCG Plus Member