HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:51 AM
Chess club geek with wings
Brainerd, MN
Joined Aug 2008
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzeppu View Post
Big congrats on a successful maiden flight!
+1!

You described the plane as a floater and I've herd others describe it in exactly the same way.

I have 2, 3000 mAh 6s batteries I would like to use for this plane....my motor is going to be HobbyKings NTM 42-58. (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0kv_1300w.html)

If I fly one at a time I'm afraid my flight times will be limited - I'm guessing to around 4 - 5 mns. depending on how heavy I am on the throttle.

How do you think the plane will handle the extra weight if I fly both at the same time?
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:36 PM
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Apr 2012
108 Posts
Flight times

I am running an eRC BL46 from Hobby Lobby and using SkyBlue 5S 4400mAh 40C batteries. My maiden flight was about 6 minutes and the starting voltage per cell was 4.16 and the end voltage per cell was 3.93. So with that said, 10 to 12 minute flight times should the norm. As for being a floater, I have flaps on this plane, but I did not yet have down elevator mixed in with the flaps. If Saturday is nice I plan on working on some fine tune flights. For the maiden I made a few practice approaches before my actual first landing and even though it floats it really makes for a very scale like landing. As far as the motor I would probably run the following [URL=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19027__Turnigy_G46_Brushless_Outrunner_550kv_46_ Glow_.html[/URL] with a 5S battery similar to the one I am running. My AUW with my motor/battery combo is exactly 8lbs. I hope this helps.
mustangherb is online now Find More Posts by mustangherb
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:43 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangherb View Post
I am running an eRC BL46 from Hobby Lobby and using SkyBlue 5S 4400mAh 40C batteries. My maiden flight was about 6 minutes and the starting voltage per cell was 4.16 and the end voltage per cell was 3.93. So with that said, 10 to 12 minute flight times should the norm. As for being a floater, I have flaps on this plane, but I did not yet have down elevator mixed in with the flaps. If Saturday is nice I plan on working on some fine tune flights. For the maiden I made a few practice approaches before my actual first landing and even though it floats it really makes for a very scale like landing. As far as the motor I would probably run the following [URL=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19027__Turnigy_G46_Brushless_Outrunner_550kv_46_ Glow_.html[/URL] with a 5S battery similar to the one I am running. My AUW with my motor/battery combo is exactly 8lbs. I hope this helps.

Exactly the same as ours with a 5s 5000
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:15 AM
Brainerd, MN
Joined Aug 2008
1,047 Posts
Thanks for the reply Herb & Kimber.

The G46 and the 5000 mAh 4s batteries weigh about the same as my NTM motor and a 6s 3000 mAh battery so I know I'm in the ballpark as far as those weights.

I have a feeling I may need/want the extra power - I'm putting 4.5" Du-Bro tires on mine with 2 aileron servos and one flap servo and it will also have nav lights with a separate battery so my Cub will be a little porky....

I'll be sacrificing run time for the necessary power to do STOL takeoffs/landings
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:20 AM
Joined Apr 2012
108 Posts
If you check my previous post here you will see that I choose to go with the landing gear from an E-Flite Super Cub 25e with 3-1/4" Du-Bro cub tires (LG & Tires work great by the way) that are a perfect fit. You will also see that I am running the exact same setup with my servos and I also have flaps. As far a nav lights go I have never ran them, so I'm not sure about the extra electrical demands. But I am sure you will love the plane and good luck.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:26 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,140 Posts
I run my nav lights from a separate battery, but I was not aware that Cubs had lights.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:53 AM
Brainerd, MN
Joined Aug 2008
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangherb View Post
If you check my previous post here you will see that I choose to go with the landing gear from an E-Flite Super Cub 25e with 3-1/4" Du-Bro cub tires (LG & Tires work great by the way) that are a perfect fit. You will also see that I am running the exact same setup with my servos and I also have flaps. As far a nav lights go I have never ran them, so I'm not sure about the extra electrical demands. But I am sure you will love the plane and good luck.
Thanks again for the info - I was going to go with the Eflite gear as you did but they are out of stock right now; I'm going to make a custom set from 5/32 wire to fit the axles of my DuBro balloon tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I run my nav lights from a separate battery, but I was not aware that Cubs had lights.
I'm changing mine from a Cub into a Super Cub Bush plane.
My nav lights run on a separate battery - two CR123 batteries soldered together for 6v. It makes for a small, light pack that should last quite a while.
Trent
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:25 AM
Joined Apr 2012
108 Posts
Please post pictures of your progress, as I always like picking up new ideas and seeing what other builders are doing!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:16 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,993 Posts
My GB cub is down for repairs, so looking through this thread is giving me a lot of ideas on how to update it and improve it. I'm glad tower still stocks plastic parts for them, my cowl is shattered and then some. I'm leaving the intact covering on the left side of it and doing the right half (which had been damaged) in transparent. Should be interesting
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:50 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,115 Posts
Having just discovered this thread, permit me to add my tuppence.

I finished my Goldberg Cub 20 years ago. Put in three flights in 2005. With Saito .65 power, it weighed in at 7.5 lb. It could have been lighter, had I not added scale details, like birch dowel stringers on top and both sides. I beefed up the landing gear and made it look a little more scale-like. In that spirit, I changed the strip-style ailerons to scale size. Covering is a yellow fabric (I forget the brand) that needed a lot of paint to look right, and it still bugs me. I replaced the supplied plastic cowl with a glass item.

CG came out about right, as I recall, so there was little drama on the first flight re pitchiness. However, I wasn't using a transmitter with dual rates or expo, so my control inputs were not what they should have been. Even so, I was able to put up three flights before calling it a day. I haven't had a chance to fly it since, because our club lost its flying field.

I have had a hankering to convert the Cub to electric, but I wanted to swing a 12 X 6 prop at 10,500 RPM, like the Saito .65 can. In my previous searches I found plenty of motors up to the job, but none seemed suited to a 12 X 6. But the eRC 46 brushless swinging a 13" prop might just be my ticket. So thanks for the info.

End Note: Why did I bother futzing with the Goldberg Cub? Why didn't I go for the Sig Cub? The thought occurred to me about halfway through the build, so I was committed.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:32 PM
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined Mar 2009
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
My GB cub is down for repairs, so looking through this thread is giving me a lot of ideas on how to update it and improve it. I'm glad tower still stocks plastic parts for them, my cowl is shattered and then some. I'm leaving the intact covering on the left side of it and doing the right half (which had been damaged) in transparent. Should be interesting
If you want to go to a fiberglass cowl, Fiberglass Specialties carries the cowl and the windshield for the Goldberg Cub. I put a glass cowl on mine a few years ago when it stalled out of a loop and into spin. It was too lot to pull out of the spin with the extra weight of the floats. Broke the floats and the cowl.

Dave
Detroit Dave is offline Find More Posts by Detroit Dave
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:44 PM
Plane Basher
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Joined Oct 2005
175 Posts
Mustang herb- The motor box you used was from max ford USA,...what size was it. Also, how did you secure it to the firewall. I'm asking, because I'm build the same kit

Sam
slammer1 is offline Find More Posts by slammer1
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:57 PM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
506 Posts
Hello Everyone!

I just won this kit at a local swap meet! It is the Goldberg Kit, and on the cover it states that the parts are laser cut. It also states that a beginner can build it. I also have a $200 store credit that I can use to equip it.

I have never built a plane before, although I did some repairs to a crashed and engineless Hangar 9 Xtra Easy that my daughter picked up for FREE at a garage sale! I successfully converted it to electric and have flown it several times. It comes in at 110 oz. THAT is the extent of my build experience.

So, in your opinions, is it feasable for a novice builder to assemble this plane? I am not as afraid of the build as I am in covering it. I have ZERO experience with Monocote. It would HAVE to be an electric build.

I am torn between selling it and building it!
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
Old Mar 12, 2013, 01:49 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybad View Post
Hello Everyone!

I just won this kit at a local swap meet! It is the Goldberg Kit, and on the cover it states that the parts are laser cut.

So, in your opinions, is it feasible for a novice builder to assemble this plane? I am not as afraid of the build as I am in covering it. I have ZERO experience with Monocote. It would HAVE to be an electric build.

Congrats on the win! If it is laser cut, it is not a Goldberg, Goldberg, but more than likely a Great Pains Goldberg kit (AKA newer one) I can't say for sure as I haven't seen those instructions, but from the instructions in the classic GOldberg kit, I would say it should be no problem for you. I too won one at a club event a few years ago. Still haven't built it, but looked at the plans/instructions a few times. Pretty basic stuff with lots of good info for the newbie. If you get stuck I hear there are plenty of internet resources where you might be able to post a question or three

FWIW, I would go Ultracote over Monocote, or even one of those per-finished fabric finishes.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Mar 12, 2013, 01:51 PM
Brainerd, MN
Joined Aug 2008
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybad View Post

Build it! The skills you will acquire are well worth the time.

If you have problems or questions feel free to post on this thread...lots of knowledgeable people here.