SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:21 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,879 Posts
When I did mine, I used the inner ailerons as flaps, and built barn door ailerons.

I used a Super Cub cowl made for the Sig 1/6 scale kit, by Fiberglass Specialties.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:23 PM
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Apr 2012
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
Does anyone here have experience converting this J3 to a Super Cub?

I'm trying to decide how long the flaps should be...so far all I've been able to come up with is using the Eflite 25e Cub as an example. It's flaps are 60% of the total available control surface area. (ailerons 15 5/8'", flaps 10 3/8")

On my CG Cub the total available control surface area is 28 1/2"...so using 60% gives me -

Ailerons: 17"
Flaps: 11 1/2"

Anyone with any suggestions? Comments?
For my build on this Build Log I made my flaps 9" long and the Ailerons about 19-1/4" long, but I have not yet made my maiden flight. As soon as I make my first few flights I will post a response of my findings. Also, I found that I was not happy with the CG cowl and I might check into the 1/6 scale super cub cowl.
mustangherb is online now Find More Posts by mustangherb
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:48 AM
mailman
United States, TX, La Marque
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
I didn't like the cowl either. when funds become available i plan on buying the Fiberglass Specialities cowl with the molded in cylinder
uspsjuan is offline Find More Posts by uspsjuan
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:29 AM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangherb View Post
For my build on this Build Log I made my flaps 9" long and the Ailerons about 19-1/4" long, but I have not yet made my maiden flight. As soon as I make my first few flights I will post a response of my findings. Also, I found that I was not happy with the CG cowl and I might check into the 1/6 scale super cub cowl.
That would be fantastic! I have not cut mine yet so I can still make changes. I'm looking for STOL type take offs and landings....

Quote:
Originally Posted by uspsjuan View Post
I didn't like the cowl either. when funds become available i plan on buying the Fiberglass Specialities cowl with the molded in cylinder
I ordered a Super Cub cowl from FS last week - I can post a photo of it when it arrives if anyone is interested.
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:04 PM
Joined Apr 2012
133 Posts
Super Cub cowl from FS

A good picture of the Super cub cowl would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:37 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
http://www.google.com/search?q=piper...w=1360&bih=611

How many do you want???

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:04 PM
Joined Apr 2012
133 Posts
Sorry, I haven't been on here in the past couple of days, but thanks for the link.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:14 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,071 Posts
Quote:
Just received the cowl in the mail...here are some photos. It looks very nice but I'll have to figure a way to blend the sides into the fuse on the sides - the top and bottom fit well. It was $25.00 plus $16.00 shipping.
Trent
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:22 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
No need to blend, that looks about right. Check some pics of super cubs...there is a bit of a space between the fuse and the cowl on the real thing.

sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:25 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,358 Posts
So, how are you going to join those two different shapes?

Ah. A vent bulge which must accommodate the larger engine.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:41 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzeppu View Post
No need to blend, that looks about right. Check some pics of super cubs...there is a bit of a space between the fuse and the cowl on the real thing.
Nice photo - thanks. After viewing it I guess I'll make a small filler block to support the cowl where it's the widest and leave the rest open for cooling.

Anyone have an idea for creating the round gizmo on the front bottom of the cowl?

I'm going to mimic the four fasteners on the bottom side with small drops of carpenters glue.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:47 AM
Joined Apr 2012
133 Posts
Round protrusion on cowl

Go to a craft store like Micheals and they should sell small diameter wooden balls. Just buy the appropriate size and then cut and sand to size, then simple glue into place.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
133 Posts
Maiden Flight

Well I made my first maiden flight today on the completed Cub. The first few seconds of the flight were quite stressful, wow! The plane required trimming on all three control surfaces. The initial take off revealed a plane that was rolling left, diving and turning left, plus it was the first use of my new Futaba 14SG radio. But after I calmed down and trimmed out the plane, the rest of the flight was quite good. I flew for 6 minutes on 5S 4400 Sky Lipo battery and upon landing the lowest cell was at 3.93 volts. I was only able to get in one flight, but I learned a lot about the plane. The low rates I adjusted per the Goldberg recommendations and made an educated guess at the high rates. The high rates will need to be increased and I also need to mix in some down elevator with the flaps. Once I get the plane fine tuned I will post my finial settings here. By the way, this plane really is quite the floater and the E-Flite Super Cub 25e landing gear that I installed worked flawless (highly recommend).
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:23 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Good to hear evrything went well!

Cheers

Michael
The Violets is offline Find More Posts by The Violets
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:36 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Big congrats on a successful maiden flight!
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu