HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:20 AM
mailman
United States, TX, La Marque
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
wow. I must have been completely distracted when i got to that part because I totally skiped it. Guess its a bit late for that now. must be close enough though.It had a really good first flight, even with the elevator linkage issues. Very little rudder input on take-off roll, lifted off with a very gentle clime on its own. I'm happy with the way it flies. Guess i got lucky
uspsjuan is offline Find More Posts by uspsjuan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:06 AM
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Covering and lightening bolts

Well I have spent today working on covering the fuselage, except for the top and drawing up and cutting out the lightening bolts. I found a PDF file online with the actual layout of the lightening bolt along with the placement of the numbers and decals for the real Piper Cub. I simple had to reduce the dimensions according to the scale of the model.
Name: IMG_1773.jpg
Views: 123
Size: 140.5 KB
Description: Picture with freshly applied lightening boltName: IMG_1774.jpg
Views: 136
Size: 141.2 KB
Description: View of cockpit
Name: IMG_1775.jpg
Views: 131
Size: 166.9 KB
Description: Name: IMG_1776.jpg
Views: 159
Size: 237.7 KB
Description: Looking almost ready to fly, but the tail feathers are not permanently attached yet.
cub_stripes
I have order the Sig dummy engines for the 1/5 scale cub to use on this Goldberg model. I will post the progress of the cowl and the rest of the build as they are completed.
mustangherb is online now Find More Posts by mustangherb
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:54 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangherb View Post
... I found a PDF file online with the actual layout of the lightening bolt along with the placement of the numbers and decals for the real Piper Cub...
Care to share?
loNslo is online now Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:27 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
I thought that each lightening bolt was individually masked, and that no two bolts were exactly alike.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:33 AM
mailman
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Fiberglass specialites makes one with the cylinders molded on if you prefer.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:39 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I thought that each lightening bolt was individually masked, and that no two bolts were exactly alike.
That is true. There were specs for the location, but all were
hand done so they varied.

The same was true for planes during the second world war.
A lot were done in the field and artistic opinions varied.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Almost complete

Well the project is almost complete, minus the receiver and prop. The AUW of the model was a little disappointing at 7.8 lbs., as I was shooting for a maximum of 7.5 lbs.. As this was my first kit build I am proud of some things and disappointed in other parts. Overall I have learned a lot during this build and I am sure that I will learn even more on the next build. I have a new radio on order (since November) with receiver from tower hobbies that I will be braking in on this Cub, so I hope to get my maiden flight in sometime in mid to late February. As soon as I finalize all of my settings (engine thrust, COG, etc.) I will post on the build log. Thanks for all the input and help from everyone!
Name: IMG_1778.jpg
Views: 127
Size: 151.3 KB
Description: Overhead shot with N-numbers appliedName: IMG_1779.jpg
Views: 120
Size: 89.0 KB
Description: Tail shot of N-numbers appliedName: IMG_1781.jpg
Views: 131
Size: 178.6 KB
Description: Side shot of nearly completed CG CubName: IMG_1782.jpg
Views: 165
Size: 167.4 KB
Description: With Skyblue 5S-4400 mAh/40C battery full forward, the plane balance out at 3-3/4"
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:45 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Ours came out to just over 8lbs so you are fine.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:59 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,361 Posts
Attaboy!

It really turned out well.
loNslo is online now Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:28 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Congrats,

Really nice work, looks like a gem! I enjoyed following the posts, it's on my list for next winter's build.

Michael
The Violets is offline Find More Posts by The Violets
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the nice comments.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:25 PM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,071 Posts
Beautiful job mustangherb!

Thanks to your thread, IoNslo's thread and Kimber's beautiful photos I just purchased a CG Cub kit that was started years ago but never finished...

Please give us a flight report when you get to fly yours!
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:42 AM
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Flight Report

blunight ,
As soon as I get her into the air for her maiden flight I will be sure to post a report on her performance. If I can get my youngest daughter to record the flight I will post a YouTube video, but she is pregnant so I am not sure I can get her to the field.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:07 AM
mailman
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
flew my on sunday. first flight after reworking elev linkage. had club test pilot do the take off and trim out, then took the sticks. always a thrill to fly a plane you built from a box of wood and sheets. she sure sounded great with the 4 stroke popping away. sure wish i could have sprange for the Saito twin cylinder 4 stroke. now that would look cool with a real cylinder hanging out of each side!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:58 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Nice job Herb. Weight sounds fine, my Sig 1/5th Cub came in at 8lbs and would fly so slowly without stalling that the controls pretty much stopped doing much. So your Cub should be fine flying at that weight.

When you test fly your Cub, take some pre-flight photos - unless you're one of those guys who doesn't believe in pre-flight photos! - and don't worry about video. Just pick a nice calm day with few folk at the field, get yourself into the test flight concentration frame of mind, get it straight in your head what maneuvres you're going to do and then make that short but meaningful first flight.

Mine usually involve getting to 'three mistakes high', checking out steeper bank angles, pitch and yaw control effects. Position into wind and try stalling - one power off, on the glide from level flight, the other from a noticeable climb with a little power. Then fly the landing pattern a couple of times without the descent portion, to establish what your model looks like in the circuit. Then take a deep breath and fly a pattern to land. Don't overshoot unless it all goes a funny shape - then you get back to height and straighten her up for the next try.

Good luck

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck