HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:49 PM
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Apr 2012
110 Posts
I am in a holding pattern on the fuselage until the motor are back in stick from Hobby Lobby (eRCBL46). Once that arrives I will complete the fuselage build, but in the mean time I purchased a landing gear for an eFlite 25e cub that will work perfect on this model with very little mods, most a couple pieces of wood on the inside to support and install the blind nuts. The LG will also require painting to cub yellow and some monokote. I will post pictures upon arrival. Almost forgot I will have to machine a couple of axles to use the Dubro 338TLC 3-3/8" cub wheels.
mustangherb is offline Find More Posts by mustangherb
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:52 AM
mailman
United States, TX, La Marque
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
FYI. If you use the pattern in the instructions for cutting out the monocoat, undrestand that the overall dimensions of a roll of monocoat is smaller than the dimensions given for the pattern. you need to adjust the amount of overhang and placement of parts to maxinize your roll of monocoat.
uspsjuan is offline Find More Posts by uspsjuan
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
110 Posts
I have already discovered this problem, but I still greatly appreciate the input to this build post. I am out of town right now, but I will post more pictures once I get back home.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:22 AM
mailman
United States, TX, La Marque
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
ok, cool. tried every which way to make 2 rolls work. looks like a 3rd roll will be nessary
uspsjuan is offline Find More Posts by uspsjuan
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
110 Posts
Update for 12/5/2012

I finished building the wing and trail fit it onto the fuselage. Everything seems to fit quite nicely. I had purchased two rolls of Top Flite monokote Cub yellow to cover the plane. The plans have a layout for using two rolls to cover the entire plane, but you will have to buy a 3rd roll. It seems that the monokote rolls are not as long as the plans state that the rolls are, so you will need 3 rolls. This was my first time ever covering anything on a model, so be easy with the critiques. One wing tip went fine, but the other required a few choice words. I have installed the aileron servos and the center mounted flap servo, but I still have to make up the control rods. Well that is it for today, but I will post more soon.
Name: IMG_1666.jpg
Views: 166
Size: 155.9 KB
Description: The wing just prior to covering Name: IMG_1687.jpg
Views: 202
Size: 134.2 KB
Description: The wing after covering with Top Flite Monokote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
110 Posts
Still waiting on motor & esc to be available from Hobby Lobby

Well guys I have not gotten a lot done lately, as Christmas shopping and family business has taken priority. I have purchased the batteries, a LG for an E-Flite Super Cub 25e (perfect fit by the way) and I have worked on a few odds & ends. I have included some pics below.
Name: IMG_1689.jpg
Views: 236
Size: 260.3 KB
Description: E-Flite Super Cub 25e landing gear redone in cub yellow. Name: IMG_1691.jpg
Views: 165
Size: 172.2 KB
Description: An inside view of the reinforcement glue inside the fuse. Name: IMG_1693.jpg
Views: 154
Size: 143.8 KB
Description: The notch was cut out for the battery hatch stop.
Name: IMG_1690.jpg
Views: 146
Size: 134.4 KB
Description: Bottom view of the fuse for bolting the LG Name: IMG_1688.jpg
Views: 140
Size: 180.6 KB
Description: Picture of the fuselage parts making up the battery hatch.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:47 PM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
747 Posts
The e-flight gear looks good in yellow. I wonder if the AUW of the Goldberg Cub will be lighter than the e-flight super cub. The e-flight cub is a bit of a porker (mine's at 6lb 13oz). Would love to hear about how your cub flies when it's done. :-)

pootman
pootman is offline Find More Posts by pootman
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:44 AM
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined Mar 2009
121 Posts
Nice job on the changes you have made. I really like that landing gear.
I built my Goldberg Cub in the winter of 2007 so that landing gear wasn't available. I haven't had any problem with my gear splaying because it's spent most of it's life on floats.
I kept the full length strip ailerons with the torque rods. What I did do was open the servo mounting hole big enough for two servos sitting side by side. I have one servo for each aileron and set them up as flapperons. That kept the servos inside the fuselage with the hope of them staying away from any spray off the floats.
You have yours looking really good so far. I'll keep watching as your build continues.
Almost forgot. The flapperons never get used. Played with them for a while then just forgot about them. The plane takes off and slows nicely on floats without using flapperons.
It flies with the Saito .72 up front. Back in 2007, the bigger brushless electrics were still way too much money and the Saito was sitting on the shelf waiting for a plane.
Here is my CG Cub in the pits at the Skymasters Float Fly in Michigan.
Dave
Detroit Dave is offline Find More Posts by Detroit Dave
Last edited by Detroit Dave; Dec 10, 2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:53 AM
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
looks great! I've got two CG anniversary kits I'm building this winter, one electric and one gasser (FS). I'm following your build so keep up the good work!
47pilotsteve is offline Find More Posts by 47pilotsteve
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:10 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,481 Posts
We built one with an OS45 and never flew it, converted it to electric.
Rimfire 60, 5s 5000mah. With a lot of scale stuff it came out at 8lbs.

Stick in a few pics, if that is ok? Let me know if it's a problem??

Before:

After:

Finished.

Panel:

Battery box:

Cockpit:

BTW, if you haven't already done something about it, this cowl
is the same and has both sides of the motor.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJ906

Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Last edited by Kimber; Dec 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
110 Posts
I will let you know, but I am still stalled waiting on the motor.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Apr 2012
110 Posts
I absolutely love the pictures that you posted of your cub. This is my very first build and I have not had all my ideas work out perfectly. I choose to have the wing servos come straight out and that has proved to be in the way of the wing struts. I always appreciate input, as I have only started in this hobby back in April.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
110 Posts
Wow, I thought that when I went thru the kit that the other dummy motor was missing from the kit.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:36 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,481 Posts
Our servos mount to the cover, just out side the strut mounts. Just
the arm sticks out, the wing is put up now so I can't get a picture.

Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
110 Posts
Servo location error and battery hatch

Here is a view of my aileron servo placement error and some more photos of the battery hatch with the latch temporarily installed.

Name: IMG_1702.jpg
Views: 129
Size: 86.6 KB
Description: green tape with black dots show location of strut mount holes. They are outboard of the servo.Name: IMG_1703.jpg
Views: 136
Size: 96.0 KB
Description: Another picture of the wing showing both the flap and aileron servo.
Name: IMG_1704.jpg
Views: 123
Size: 128.0 KB
Description: Battery hatch shown in forward lower fuselage panel.Name: IMG_1705.jpg
Views: 122
Size: 129.0 KB
Description: Inside view of battery hatch in lower fuselage panel.
Last edited by mustangherb; Dec 18, 2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: fix photo placement