Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:02 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Landing gear - it's not that far in size from where the E Flite Cub sprung gear may fit. It's around $30 and after watching both my Sig Cubs bouncing around on almost solid wire gear, the next Cub around that size will get the E Flite gear.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post19565390 is in the middle of long thread about the E Flite BARF Cub, touches on using its sprung gear on other models.

Hope that helps

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:44 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangherb View Post
First off I ordered the electric motor box sold by Maxford USA that they use for their L-4 electric conversion. This should work fine for the motor that is in the .40-.60 size electric. Secondly I plan on cutting a rectangular opening at the bottom portion of the firewall (to allow for a portion of the battery to protrude). For battery access I plan to build a hatch into the fuselage front bottom panel. The battery will occupy the space just below where the fuel tank was intended to be. I will enclose pictures when I get to this point. I am leaning toward using a 5S-4000 to 5000 mah battery, as this size should fit the space and hatch size.
Just a side note, I had a world models 1/6th cub. I did the same in the firewall. It flew scale on 3s 500watts, and more comfortable on 4s 750 watts. You should be able to run a nice scale prop on 5s.
srt8madness is online now Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:08 AM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Good luck with the build; itís a nice looking plane, that Iíve had my eye on for a couple of months. Glad to follow along.

Michael
The Violets is offline Find More Posts by The Violets
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:11 PM
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Apr 2012
108 Posts
Day four or five

Well the new motor box arrived today from Maxford USA, but I soon discovered that I would have to modify it to accommodate the proper size motor. This box is for a smaller motor, but is not a bad design.
I decided to proceed with the fuselage build, but I held off on gluing any formers forward of former 'D'. Everything was glued with CA and all the inside was reinforce with Super Phatic glue from Deluxe Materials. I really need to settle on the motor I will run and place my order. I will hold off on the forward part of the fuse until then. I want going to get the eRC BL46 from Hobby Lobby, but they are out of stock. I think this motor will work perfect with a 4S-4000-5000mAh battery and maybe a 14 x 9 prop, but feel free to chime in with an opinion. Well that is enough for tonight.

Name: IMG_1649.jpg
Views: 108
Size: 181.5 KB
Description: The motor box from Maxford USA arrived today, but it will have to be modified. Name: IMG_1646.jpg
Views: 139
Size: 212.0 KB
Description: Fuselage assembled to check fit and straightness. Tape & rubber bands used to hold into position. Name: IMG_1647.jpg
Views: 141
Size: 173.7 KB
Description: Fuselage glued up from former G to former D. Name: IMG_1648.jpg
Views: 129
Size: 190.7 KB
Description: Top formers DT thru GT glued into place along with 3/16" diameter dowels.
mustangherb is offline Find More Posts by mustangherb
Last edited by mustangherb; Nov 03, 2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Add additional onfo
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
108 Posts
Wing rib hole jig

I worked yesterday making a jig that will be used to drill 14mm holes into the wing ribs both in front and aft of the main spars. I will also drill a smaller hole toward the back of the rib. See the picture with the pattern rib for my preliminary location for holes. The jig will hold 4 ribs at a time and the ribs will face downward against a scrap piece of wood when drilling. You will also note the BT-5 Body Tubes that will routed thru the middle hole for routing the wing mounted servo leads. I am still working out the final details for the battery box, motor box, motor before I attempt to do more work on the fuselage.

Name: IMG_1653.jpg
Views: 127
Size: 135.2 KB
Description: Cardboard tubes that will be used inside the wings for routing servo wires. Name: IMG_1650.jpg
Views: 132
Size: 186.9 KB
Description: Jig that I made yesterday to hold 4 ribs at a time to cut holes into the ribs. Name: IMG_1651.jpg
Views: 139
Size: 145.3 KB
Description: Picture showing 4 #5 ribs in the jig Name: IMG_1652.jpg
Views: 121
Size: 175.8 KB
Description: Another view of the jig with ribs. The jig will be placed with the ribs facing down to drill holes.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:08 PM
mailman
United States, TX, La Marque
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
nice work dude! i'm at a standstill till i get funds for raido gear and monocoat. airframe is done.
uspsjuan is offline Find More Posts by uspsjuan
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:50 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,317 Posts
The cardboard tubes look like a good idea. I was thinking of making some out of kraft paper, to keep the weight down on my Great Planes Cub build:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1742597

Can you tell me the weight of these?
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:54 AM
Joined Apr 2012
108 Posts
I will let you know when I get home today. Oh, I like your choice of motor as I am a big Hacker fan. Estes just sent me an email about the tubes, they weigh .21oz for each 18" tube or 5.9g. So these tubes are extremely lite.
Last edited by mustangherb; Nov 06, 2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Add info
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:30 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,509 Posts
Just curious what the jig is for. When I drill holes in ribs and such, I stack them and drill on a drill press.
Also for servo lead tubes, I take a piece of paper, and cut it so the width is a little longer than about 3x the perimeter of the hole. (don't need to be exact on this). Then I wrap it around a small dowel, or pencil. Place it in the holes, and pull the dowel/pencil out. The paper unwinds and you have a perfect wiring tube that costs nothing, and weights next to nothing.
Just be sure to put the tubes in BEFORE you joint the wing.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:57 AM
wood is good
Joined Jun 2012
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
Just curious what the jig is for. When I drill holes in ribs and such, I stack them and drill on a drill press.
Also for servo lead tubes, I take a piece of paper, and cut it so the width is a little longer than about 3x the perimeter of the hole. (don't need to be exact on this). Then I wrap it around a small dowel, or pencil. Place it in the holes, and pull the dowel/pencil out. The paper unwinds and you have a perfect wiring tube that costs nothing, and weights next to nothing.
Just be sure to put the tubes in BEFORE you joint the wing.
Huh! That is EXACTLY what I thought to do. Although I was thinking that I'd have to tape the seam with Magic Mending tape before removing the dowel. My other concern is, because I intend to run floats, at times, that the kraft paper might not stand up to moisture.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Sep 2001
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Although I was thinking that I'd have to tape the seam with Magic Mending tape before removing the dowel. My other concern is, because I intend to run floats, at times, that the kraft paper might not stand up to moisture.
No need for the tape. The holes keep the shape. When it unravels it will be nice and tight against the holes, and won't move around. I hit it with a dot of glue if it doesn't seem as tight as I would like. Some are tighter than others for some odd reason.
As far as moisture and floats. It should be fine... If you get a lot of water in the wing, you may have more serious problems
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:45 AM
wood is good
Joined Jun 2012
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
...As far as moisture and floats. It should be fine...
Maybe wax paper?
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Sep 2001
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Maybe wax paper?
May not be ridged enough.... but worth a try.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
108 Posts
It is always great to listen to all the good ideas and you guys have presented a number of them. Thank you all for taking the time to contribute to this build log.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
108 Posts
More on holes in ribs

I received my 14mm forstner bit today and completed drilling the two forward guide holes along with the 3/8" guide hole at the back. I then drilled the holes in rib numbers 3 thru 6. Ribs number 2,plus the innermost ribs will also have to be drilled to allow the servo leads to be routed into the cabin area o fthe plane. Still working on which motor to purchase.

Name: IMG_1654.jpg
Views: 120
Size: 183.4 KB
Description: Wing jig with guide holes for proper location of holes in wing ribs. Name: IMG_1655.jpg
Views: 111
Size: 179.9 KB
Description: Another picture of jig with guide holes.