SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:16 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,817 Posts
Sorry, I meant if you figure it out for bottom of wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamama View Post
Pete, Before i reconfiger my second one. I put 6400 and motor on top of the black one. Did you leave motor on the bottom of wing?

Razor, 6400 for 6i mounted on top of wing.

act. elevon

mix 1 mix ele to rudder -100 -100
mix 2 mix ail to rudder +100 +100

aile R

JCS
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:27 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
@Miatamama- Yes, motor and batt on bottom, RX on top, with motor socket facing rear.
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:15 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,817 Posts
mine is almost rtf

question

Does it need reflex?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:48 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
mine is almost rtf

question

Does it need reflex?
Nope!

Just get the CG close if not right on.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:54 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,817 Posts
Awesome

QUOTE=dz1sfb;23253044]Nope!

Just get the CG close if not right on.

Ken [/QUOTE]
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:52 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,211 Posts
Got mine in the air and I was surprised in how well it flies considering it's a wing. She's very durable in construction too. I took her up and at first she would loop and dive into the ground ,with a little down trim and a tweak on the ailerons she flies rather tame. But like I said she is fidgety and hyper but can maintain a level comfortable flight and still be a handful of fun. Might look into the bigger StingRay. Thanks for the plans and a great little wing to fly around
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:15 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,817 Posts
Straight motor angle on this?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:06 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,817 Posts
I agree, mine was the same at first too.

Burns up space in our indoor area real fast.

I think I may scale up this design.

Maybe with more wing it'll slow it down lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEFLYER View Post
Got mine in the air and I was surprised in how well it flies considering it's a wing. She's very durable in construction too. I took her up and at first she would loop and dive into the ground ,with a little down trim and a tweak on the ailerons she flies rather tame. But like I said she is fidgety and hyper but can maintain a level comfortable flight and still be a handful of fun. Might look into the bigger StingRay. Thanks for the plans and a great little wing to fly around
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:41 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
668 Posts
Mine flew very easy when upsidedown, Better than when right side up. Right side up was a little touchy. I think it may have to do with the low thrustline. I reconfigured mine with the 6400 on top and one with the brick and motor on top. I will know friday if thrust line has to do with the better upside down flying.
I liked the way the small one flew flat and straight out of my hand that I built a 24 incher right away. It is a 24 incher. I will try it friday also.
This is the answer for 1 cell combat. We have been combatting with 14" pi yaks and having a ball. 10g motor and 180 2 cell. The stingrays may obsolete our pie yaks.

JCS

Razor, how slow do you want them? Ours fly as slow as the champs. These were designed to combat and do it well.
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Last edited by miatamama; Nov 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: addition
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:09 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,817 Posts
lol

Mine was fast even at quarter throttle

I had a 5043 prop on mine though which may have influenced it

Also, It may be a suk xp motor

so it really rips hehehe

I wanna take mine outside and try it

I'll definitely be building a bigger one of these for next summer and make it a screamer with k4 airfoil likely

Also

a person could also use the j3 cub motor/gear box/prop on this bird as well for even lighter weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamama View Post
Mine flew very easy when upsidedown, Better than when right side up. Right side up was a little touchy. I think it may have to do with the low thrustline. I reconfigured mine with the 6400 on top and one with the brick and motor on top. I will know friday if thrust line has to do with the better upside down flying.
I liked the way the small one flew flat and straight out of my hand that I built a 24 incher right away. It is a 24 incher. I will try it friday also.
This is the answer for 1 cell combat. We have been combatting with 14" pi yaks and having a ball. 10g motor and 180 2 cell. The stingrays may obsolete our pie yaks.

JCS

Razor, how slow do you want them? Ours fly as slow as the champs. These were designed to combat and do it well.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:45 PM
Imlay City, MI
Joined Dec 2006
94 Posts
Hey guys, Do you think an AP05 brushless would be too much for it? Also, what kind of foam is everybody using, MPF, 6mm depron?
icsteve is offline Find More Posts by icsteve
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:10 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
668 Posts
IC, plans say 3mm depron but one poster used dollar store rediboard. As far as an ao5, if you fly jets maybe you could control it. It only needs about 1/8 inch movement to turn with elevons. The champ motor is roughly 30 g thrust and the 4site motor makes it very fast so I would say too much motor with the brushless unless you go to the 24" and 2cell. Just my opinion.
JCS
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:05 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,817 Posts
if you made a bigger version on 2S then yes it'd be a blast

but unlikely indoors

mine is fast and its only the suk xp motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsteve View Post
Hey guys, Do you think an AP05 brushless would be too much for it? Also, what kind of foam is everybody using, MPF, 6mm depron?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:48 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,467 Posts
Okay, just for clarification. The 24" model was designed for indoor combat, and while it can go quite fast, it is also capable of very slow flight as well. It was designed for a 10g 2000 kv outrunner, but has been setup with a Park 250, which can be rather ballistic, still well for indoors and out.

Steve, the AP05 would work well. I would go with the 7000 kv one. These motors turn relatively small props (GWS 0302). This model is designed around 3mm Depron, and presents very little frontal area. Going up on thickness, say to 6mm will double the frontal area and impact flight speed as well make it difficult for the brick to move the control surfaces.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:46 AM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Going to maiden the final version of the Mini-mini Stingray tonight

The 13.5" version, with a AA 6mm motor, Parkzone GB and 3.5" CF prop making 12g thrust at something like 400mAh, with a 160mAh cell and an AUW of 16.5g.Wonderful design, a bit slow at times. Flutters at half throttle cruise- Unsure of cause. Did not bother to paint and finish, just a preliminary model. Flies for ever on a full charge.

The new 12" version, with a 7mm "Red" motor, trimmed white 2.4" x ~1" prop making 11g thrust at 600mAh with a 125mAh cell, 15g AUW, could be a bit lighter with thinner wing sections. Using a "Mosquito" brick for long throws. Should be very nimble!! Also, beautifully silent. I think I'll do a red/blue color on the tail (left/right), and some stripes on the wings.
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P