Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:28 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
665 Posts
Ken and newby, Tried both but didnt work. Cleared memory and still didnt work.
The elevator function worked but aileron was backwards. Tried reversing aileron and then only one side or the other would work. Tried all combinations of reverse and none before frustration set in. Buddy had to leave so took his stingray home to try with his own DX6i. He may have better results than with mine.

Thanks JCS
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:58 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,313 Posts
I believe with a DX6i you may have to flip the brick over or reverse it front to back to get the orientations correct. It's elevon mix is limited. See this (huge) thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146395
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:39 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,384 Posts
If thats the case for the Dx6i, then you can manually mix the elevators to the ailerons, and vice versa.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:28 AM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Thanks for the plans!! I made a 14" version, with a CF 3" prop and an Ember gearbox/motor, it has a 1:1 thrust ratio at 14g with a 70mAH cell. Pictures once I'm sure it flies- Weather in New England here has been lousy.
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:16 PM
M16 CIII/AR15/FN 2000 and PS90
United States, AR, Waldron
Joined Jan 2005
521 Posts
On the 6i the rcvr needs mounted on top of the wing. You can mix vtail to use the 2 board servos as elevons ( no rudder ), or use elevon mix and an extra servo and include rudder. It does work either way...
Denile is offline Find More Posts by Denile
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:35 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Denile- I'm using a DX6i and and I have normal elevon mixing, with E reversed. Works perfectly, RX on top, motor facing rear.
Last edited by Pete P; Nov 10, 2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Advice fixed.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:07 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
665 Posts
Pete, are you using the champ brick? Or is the brick elevator on left, rudder on right servo from the back with the servos facing up?

JCS
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:53 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Bad advice on my part, redacted.
Last edited by Pete P; Nov 10, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:57 PM
M16 CIII/AR15/FN 2000 and PS90
United States, AR, Waldron
Joined Jan 2005
521 Posts
Pete Im glad to hear of another option that works good, Thank you for the info. I had always mounted my 6400's to the top and well it worked so looked no farther.
Denile is offline Find More Posts by Denile
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:47 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
665 Posts
Pete, I am scratching my head and trying to figure what is different. Ours are built according to plan and will not work the way you described. We tried with 2 different DX6i radios. Here is how I had to program to work with champ brick.

Mix 1 AIL to Ele
-100 -100

Mix 2 Ele to AIL
+100 +100 No reverses No wing tail activations.

This plane is a winner. Flew out of hand straight and level, turned rolled on very low rates but needed speed to loop. Flew even better upside down. This will be great for anyone wanting to do indoor combat.
Mine would loop very quickly from level but has the mustang motor. It was a little sensitive to control but everyone was impressed with it. once I get it dialed in it will be Awesome. Thanks Ken for sharing the plans.

I would still like to have an answer as to why our transmitters program differently than everyone elses?????? Anybody

JCS
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:55 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,171 Posts
My friend Jin Choe from the Sopwith Triplane kit here on this site(you should order one they're the best kit ever I've seen built) I'm using the mustang 4 chn brick. Anyway he and I sat for the LONGEST time try to figure it out on the DX-6i and lord and behold he did it just amazing. I'll post the setting later. The DX 7 would be better d oyou have the extra mix settings to work with.
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:34 AM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
665 Posts
Newby, there is part of the answer, You are using a mustang brick not a champ.

These bricks are mapped to different transmitter sticks depending on the plane they are to be in. The 4 channel bricks are mapped to put the rudder stick on the left stick. the 3channel is mapped to put the rudder stick to right stick where the aileron normally goes which messes up the elevon function. On a normal receiver you use all external servos so you can plug them in where where you need them to work. On the bricks you have a left and right servo that cant be moved so if the right hand servo is software mapped to the aileron stick it changes the way you have to use it. Just my observation.

Now does anyone have the micro stingray with the champ brick that flys, programmed any differently than I do. I think it is too soon to know. Everyone has them built but not flying yet. I am curious and have a mix that works but I need to know how many other guys were having trouble with the 6i?

Thanks for the help to everyone that tried to help. Just didnt work that way with mine.
JCS
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:59 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
My apologies- Bad advice on my part. My directions were off- This only works with the brick on TOP and the E reversed.

Creative application of the control rods may resolve the brick position issues.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:14 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,947 Posts
MAMA is it possible to reverse the servo at the RX and not the TX like the 6400? Look at the 6400 manual and try to reverse the servos at the RX then try elevon mix and play with the TX reverses if needed. I don't have a Champ brick but it is based on the 6400.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:49 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
665 Posts
Pete, Thanks, Yes I Have used crossed control rods. brick turned 180, brick upside down , different mixes etc. to get the control surfaces to move the right way. What I thought would be very simple with the 6i because it was only a flick of a switch with the cheapie 5E caused me a lot of frustration and thinking my transmitter may be faulty but i prevailed and we do have a way to use the 6i with the champ brick on the bottom. This may help others that have tried elevon controlled planes or are going to be using the champ brick.
I had an msr brick working but doesnt now and I didnt write it down. I am going to try it on top now and see if I can use it.
If anyone is interested I will trade an msr brick for a champ brick.

Irv, I have the 6400 manual saved, will look at it next but the way i remember is you can reverse the external ones but not the onboards on rec programming. I will go read it again and see if you can. Thanks JCS