HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:13 PM
Paris (France)
Joined Jan 2006
851 Posts
Would a KF airfoil bring an improvement? Thanks.
indoor_fr is offline Find More Posts by indoor_fr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:49 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoor_fr View Post
Would a KF airfoil bring an improvement? Thanks.
It is hard to say. At this small scale, it flys so well as it is. It might be worth trying, but adding weight will reduce its already stellar performance.

The regular size StingRay benefits well from the KF airfoil, but mass was more of a consideration on the mini and micro versions.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:59 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
670 Posts
Ken, What I do for streamers. I use regular crepe paper. Cut about 4" off with scissors then reroll as tight as you can. Then use a bandsaw with fine blade to cut it into 1/4" streamers. we use 6 ft streamers which look like a 25ft on larger planes. Champs can cut the 1/4 ". This may work for you.

JCS
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:08 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,943 Posts
Firstly, I'd like to thank you for the plans, Ken.

I built my Micro Stingray by scaling down the plans from the original Stingray thread. That was before this thread was started. So my Ray looks a little different then what's on the plans that are here.

OK, here is my entry. I still have to make the control rods and the horns. Hopefully I'll have a vid of it flying soon. I'm just waiting for the Lipo's to arrive.

Foam: Elmer's Foam Board. (5mm)
Wingspan: 18"
Lipo: 200mAh (9g).
Guts: AR6400 and P51 motor.
Current weight is 20.8g without the lipo.
Glue: Fabri-Tac for everything. I'm waiting for the Foam-Tac to arrive.

You may have noticed that I left out the carbon bits. I'm hoping the little ray will fly ok without it. What do you think, Ken?

If not, I'll have to dip into the stock I'm saving for another project and put them in per the plan.

KC

KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Last edited by KC; Nov 04, 2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:53 AM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
670 Posts
Ken, Thanks for the plans. I will maiden next friday at our indoor meet. I couldnt beleive the video. Hope I can pilot mine half that good. I didnt have a champ so had to use an Msr brick turned 180 degrees and mixing with the other 4site brick.
Can you post a link to go directly to your micro stingray kit. If this flys as good in our smaller gym I may be able to send some orders your way.

JCS
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:57 AM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
670 Posts
Ken, Nevermind the link. Today I clicked on the one you gave at the beginning and went straight to the site. Thanks. JCS
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:08 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,532 Posts
KC,
Yours should be adequately stiff with the paper on, and it does not seem to be too much heavier. The only drawback if any will be the added frontal area of the thicker foam. At 18" wingspan a 5g motor might be quite suitable.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:14 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,532 Posts
This plane was quite a hit at the JR Indoor Festival this weekend, as well as the Mini StingRay.

I even participated in the combat event today (with the regular size one), and probably would have won it had I not lost an elevon servo. There were 7 of us and I had just taken out #3 when I realized on servo was messed up. Tried to keep it in the air, but just did not have enough control. The guy that won was flying a nutball, which I had already taken a bite out of. One of the other two was flying an Ember, and the other a Micro Stryker. They ran out of battery.

Good weekend,
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:21 AM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,222 Posts
My after mid night micro StingRay built

Yawn.... well it's yea ......what 0418hrs WOW! I took a whole two hours to build this little thing. Neat and I'm trying different size prop, the standard Champ,GWS 5045, and even a prop from my mosquito. 3 blade 28gr GWS 5045 29gr got it right were as planned good job plans are great thanks. Well better catch a nap and I 'll start on another plane in the late morning. Morning anyone up yet??
Another 4 yrs of let's hope for the best!!!!!
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:53 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,619 Posts
Thank you for posting the plans, added to my "to build list"

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:24 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
670 Posts
Guys! Im having a memory freeze. I used mixes with a 4site brick and a Msr brick to get the control orientation right. A Friend brought over champ gear and I cant get it right. Can anyone tell me how to program the champ brick to get the stingray to work with a DX6i. Just throwing the mix switch on the 5E makes it work right. Help!!!!!! JCS
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:02 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,532 Posts
JCS,
I use the preprogrammed elevon mix on my DX7. In fact I copied over from the full size StingRay. Just try the elevon mix with all channels in the normal position if you have not already done so.

Here are my settings;
Servo Reversing: All channels in the normal postion
Subtrims: Adjust to neutral the servos.
Expo on H and L for elevator and ailerons 25%
Rates on H 100% L 50%

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Nov 07, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:08 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,532 Posts
Finally got some paint on it

Got some paint on mine today. Only added .25g

Left the bottom white.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:20 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,474 Posts
looks great!
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:59 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,222 Posts
I used a Champ brick too. So what I did with my DX6i is : Went to set up and look for Elevon then ACT it , you may need to also go to the Reverse setting and reverse your Aileron and elevator from N to R it depends on it they're opposite to your control throws. That should give you what you want. Hope that works. Here's my StingRay naked along with my Perrytactol. Same settings.
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER