HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by troynh, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:31 AM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Nothing too exciting, it's really hard to tell how windy it was here. You can hear it on camera as well as when the motors have to compensate. I am impressed as to how little the hex is effected considering it's size.

Mike

Hexacopter test flight (4 min 25 sec)
power is offline Find More Posts by power
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:01 AM
United States, MI, Haslett
Joined Mar 2010
326 Posts
Quad,Octo,Avrotor

Thanks Power. The latest thing seems to be turning a quad into an Octo http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...V8-X650/Detail

I would think that this would be much less efficient 8 esc's and 8 motors from just an electrical esc and motor efficiency standpoint and I would think that having the props above each other would not be as efficient from an aerodynamic standpoint. It also would have more to go wrong. These are probably just marketing gimmicks . I like the idea of just putting four more powerful motors and bigger props on the Quad. I am thinking of running the RC timer 40a esc's with the avrotor and 11inch props http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...1&productname=

Larry
lklansingkiter is offline Find More Posts by lklansingkiter
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:34 AM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,316 Posts
Looking good Mike. That was windy!
troynh is online now Find More Posts by troynh
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:44 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,316 Posts
New frame pattern.
  • 3/4" 15 ply furniture grade birch plywood.
  • sized to accept 11" props

Probably a waste of time but I have to try it. It's been on my mind now for over a year.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Mar 2010
326 Posts
Cedar Hexacopter

Hi
I am almost convinced to build a wooden Hexacopter or Quad out of Clear Cedar.
Do you guys have some dimensions. Are the arms square or rectangle and what is the best width, height and length. What size/thickness ply do you make the center section from? Are you attaching the motors with just screws or bolts? If I order some aircraft cedar what is the best size to get. I have a good bandsaw and a jointer so I should be able to make the patterns. Do you have some rough plans I could use.

Larry
Last edited by lklansingkiter; Nov 19, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:44 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,316 Posts
Larry,

I kind of make this up as I go along.... My plans are in my head.

Arm length is determined by the max prop size used. (My latest hex designs have been 24" long - 22" between motor centers using 10" props.) Sometimes I use 3/4" square stock for the arms and sometimes 3/4" thick by 1/2" wide to shave some weight off.

1/8" or 1/4" ply can be used for the center disk and my diameters are 7".

Lately I've been building frames out of clear pine 1x stock from the Home Depot. However, this is a great deal on Sitka Spruce which is a little lighter and a whole lot stronger: You'd get enough wood in this grab bag to build around 8-10 frames. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...bag_spruce.php
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:20 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Use lumber yard clear cedar decking rails, Rip them down to 3/4 X 3/4.Mine have been run through a jointer to get very good straightness. Laminate 1/32 ply plates on the arm ends top and bottom. This provides a harder mounting surface for the motors. If you use smaller motors (Tiger 2216) use #4 sheet metal screws to mount the motor to the arms. You only need two (see my quad pic) If you use larger motors (Avrotos) I like to use (2) 4-40 screws that pass through the arms and lock nut them on the bottom.

This is just my method, tweak as you wish. Here are a couple pdf files of my Hexacopter frame. You are on your own for landing gear, I uae a single 1/4 20 carriage bolt that passes through and a wing nut to hold my gear on. This allows easy removal...

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lklansingkiter View Post
Hi
I am almost convinced to build a wooden Hexacopter or Quad out of Clear Cedar.
Do you guys have some dimensions. Are the arms square or rectangle and what is the best width, height and length. What size/thickness ply do you make the center section from? Are you attaching the motors with just screws or bolts? If I order some aircraft cedar what is the best size to get. I have a good bandsaw and a jointer so I should be able to make the patterns. Do you have some rough plans I could use.

Larry
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Mar 2010
326 Posts
Wood Hexacopter

Thanks Guys that is all great info. I have a good jointer and a bandsaw so I should be all set to make piles of sawdust.

Larry
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:52 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,316 Posts
Making progress....
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:59 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Wow Tim, no moss growing under your feet! Nice, very cool design.

But are you saving any builds for winter????
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:06 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Looks cool Tim! Lights on the underside would look real flying saucer like

Mike
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:40 AM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,316 Posts
Should have it up and running by Friday...

Joe, will you be flying this long weekend?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:56 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,316 Posts
Well, it flies. However, I'm still getting that surging effect after switching over to the Avroto's. Very frustrating! I'm going to take the time and switch back to the plain Jane Protrons.

-Tim
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:36 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Looks cool Tim!

Sorry to hear about the surging....It is strange. It still sounds like a connection issue somewhere.

Mike
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:52 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,316 Posts
I'm going to rewire everything tomorrow with brand new 16G as well as resetting the throttle range. Then, when that doesn't work, I'm going to order the DJI Opto 30A ESC's...