Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by troynh, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:45 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,315 Posts
Looking great Mike! Sorry I can't be of any help on the gain settings.... I just don't know the difference. If this was a Wii flight controller, I could help. :-)

94 ounces is nothing on those Avroto's! Well done on the weight as the hex I just crashed was 101 ounces with just the GoPro. 3/4" pine has it's disadvantages...

I've got to weigh my new hex but I just maidened it this afternoon and it handles like a dream. I'm using Cobra 2217/20's on 4s 4000mah and I'm seeing over 10 minute flights. I absolutely need that Quanum! I'm sooo gun shy now with voltage. This weekend would have been beautiful to shoot video and stills and I blew it with that stupid crash.

Here are some shots of my new hex. Built this in a day and a half. Not bad! Lol...
troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh
Last edited by troynh; Nov 11, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:28 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Hi Tim, I am trying to figure something out and I am wondering if you could try something for me on your hex.

I have been trying to get my hex to fly as rock solid as my quad and there is a slight wobble I can't get rid of. I had been flying with my gains at 225 and it seemed like it could use more. Just for kicks I jacked the gains up to 325 and did a test fly in my garage. While it seemed tighter in flight the little wobble was still. Any chance you could jack your gains up until you see oscillation and let me know when it happens? I honestly think I could max this thing out to 400 and still fly it around.

Are you seeing any little wobble in dead calm? I can fly my quad in the garage and it is so solid it's scary. I can't see an arm even flit. This hex is always moving slightly.

I may have to order up some more Rapid drives and swap them. Man...more soldering....

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:45 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,315 Posts
Mike,

Yeah, I can do that but it'll have to be tomorrow. I just cranked my gains up to 210 including Attitude and I'm loving it! I happened to film a flight right after I turned up the gains as I am so impressed with the response time to return to center stick. (i.e., rapidly banking left and right - front and back and letting the stick self center....) So let me cook that video and I'll post it.

-Tim
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:11 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,315 Posts
So, here's a clip of it flying just in attitude mode with the pitch and roll gains set at 210 as well as the attitude pitch and roll gains set at 210.

Testing the gains in attitude mode (1 min 12 sec)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:03 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Looks solid Tim. Did you order the 25 or 35 amp Rapid drives?

Mike
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:27 AM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,315 Posts
35's
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:39 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,315 Posts
Mike,

I went up to 230 on the gains and couldn't even get off the ground. The ESC's were flipping out. So, I'm back down to 210.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:38 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Thanks Tim, that's just what I suspected. My Castle Creation ESC's are the culprit Don't get me wrong, they do work. They have come a long way with their firmware since the stand alone gyro days (remember those )

I just got in from more testing and comparing and my quad will squash this hex like a bug when it comes to wobble free flight. It is so solid with the Rapid drives I can't see even a little twitch in the arms in a light breeze. Even in my garage the Hex still has small bumps. I am placing an order for more Rapid Drives. This sucks a bit as I have $300.00 worth of ESC's on this hex that I don't really care for

Oh well, that's the way it goes. Thanks a lot for the test, I had a good feeling you were not going to get up to the gain level I had. It's almost like the Castles get so far and thats it.

Mike
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:52 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,315 Posts
No problemo on the test.

Yup, that sucks! Hopefully you can recoup a little by selling them. So, are the Rapid Drives still in stock?

All I can say is that I'm loving this set up. Get those ESC's swapped out!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:00 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Yeah, the 35's are in stock. I will get an order going tomorrow. I would go with the 25's but I want to get this flying better sooner. A little more headroom is always nice anyway.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh View Post
No problemo on the test.

Yup, that sucks! Hopefully you can recoup a little by selling them. So, are the Rapid Drives still in stock?

All I can say is that I'm loving this set up. Get those ESC's swapped out!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:06 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Holy crap! Did Hobby Lobby charge you $16+ for shipping??

They say the order is maxed for priority mail. What a crock.... That's the first time I ever had to select fed ex ground to ship a pile of speed controls

I am going to call them and chew a bit

Mike
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:16 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Ok, they are on the way....Now any chance you could tell me which direction your Avrotos were spinning when the wires were hooked straight on? It would save me some soldering trial and error

Mike
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:32 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,315 Posts
Lol! Negative... it's already torn apart. I've been flying these things since day one with bullet connectors. I know i'm not going to persuade you to make the switch. So, I'll just stop there.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:10 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,315 Posts
So, I had to correct my yaw gain this afternoon after I realized what was happening. First, I had my yaw set to 190 but never really tried yawing like I would normally with the Wii FC. I found out that 190 was too high as while doing a quick yaw left or right caused the ESC's to cut out and the hex would drop like a rock causing my reaction to squirt the throttle where it would climb like a banshee.

Needles to say, my yaw gain is now set at 140 with no weird effects when yawing fast....

Be warned!

-Tim
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:06 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Tim, I have never been that high with yaw. I have always prefered the yaw a lot less (120) it responds so well even at 120 the panning requires steady input.

Mike