HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by troynh, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:47 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,375 Posts
Never mind.... I couldn't hear the beeps due to my music playing. Turned the music off and I heard what my others do.

1. Throttle up
2. Plug it in and wait for the beeps
3. Throttle down and wait for the beeps

The beeps are quiet!
troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Ghetto Tank
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:49 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
You are going to like them...

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:41 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Wow, that was a quick and efficient build! Looks great. The landing gear looks to be very sturdy which should make for nice smoorh landings and takeoffs.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:24 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,375 Posts
Maidened it this afternoon. It still needs some tweaking but so far so good. The onboard video is from a version 1 GoPro in the R5 setting. Not bad! Can't wait for version 3!

Maiden flight of the DJI Naza M - GPS HEX (1 min 9 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:18 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Very very nice! Nothing wrong with that footage

What did you have your basic gains and atittude gains set at. It looks solid as a rock.

My plywood came today , I will be gluing things soon.

Mike
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:51 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,375 Posts
I can't remember Mike. That's what I have to tweak as they're not too far off the generic 100 settings. It's not as stable as Joe's (u2builder) at this point.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:16 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Tim, look at page 41 of the latest Naza manual. They list the default settings for each size machine. The ones that come on the Naza are for the small 330 machine. 170 is the default for many of the hex parameters.

BTW, it sure "looks" plenty stable! And the video is rock solid, I am sure the wood structure does a better job than the plastic one in absorbing the vibrations. I think it is a really good photo platform.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:14 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,375 Posts
Joe and Mike,

Just got back from a business trip and made the changes stated on page 41 for their hex and WOW! what a difference! I'm going to keep tweaking as I'm now within the ballpark.

It's almost not fun to fly as I'm barely doing anything. The Naza definitely has only one purpose and that's for AP/AV. It's a no-brainer.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:18 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
It's almost not fun to fly as I'm barely doing anything. The Naza definitely has only one purpose and that's for AP/AV. It's a no-brainer.
Yep, tis true. It kind of flies itself. Good for AP/AV and also as an FPV trainer cause you can just let up on the sticks and get your bearings. I can finally actually do FPV flying with this rig.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:59 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Holy smokes!! 170 on basic and 170 on atittude???

You dont see any rapid oscillations?? I am upgrading my firmware today and I will give the defaults on page 41 a go. With the older firmware I could get to 150 before things started to jiggle. Things are a bit different as this is a hex so I will find out. The 170 on atittude surprises me a bit. I am flying at 90.

BTW I have my cedar hex finished and ready to roll. I will share some pics later today...

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh View Post
Joe and Mike,

Just got back from a business trip and made the changes stated on page 41 for their hex and WOW! what a difference! I'm going to keep tweaking as I'm now within the ballpark.

Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:14 AM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,375 Posts
I'm actually on 175 now Mike. No oscillations!

Can't wait for the pics!

I had a controlled crash landing yesterday when I "stared to close to the sun" and let my battery work a little too long... Broke the landing gear and bounced it off my Canon A490.

My new lighter hex frame is almost built where I'll be using the Cobra 2217/20's on 4s. I've Almost shaved 2 lbs off this frame and switching motors!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:58 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Holy smokes. Your are a building machine Tim. Amazing.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:57 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Cool! are the atittude gains still 170?

You need to order the Quanum

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh View Post
I'm actually on 175 now Mike. No oscillations!

Can't wait for the pics!

I had a controlled crash landing yesterday when I "stared to close to the sun" and let my battery work a little too long... Broke the landing gear and bounced it off my Canon A490.

My new lighter hex frame is almost built where I'll be using the Cobra 2217/20's on 4s. I've Almost shaved 2 lbs off this frame and switching motors!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:35 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,375 Posts
Ha! Thanks Joe. I've been known to crank'em out.

Mike,

Basic Gains:
Pitch: 175 - Roll: 175 - Yaw: 140 - Vertical: 135

Attitude Gains:
Pitch: 175 - Roll: 175

Below are some shots from today's build. Oh and BTW Mike, The Quanum order was placed on Thursday. I should see it middle of next week. Lol!

-Tim
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by troynh; Nov 10, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:11 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Well here's my clear cedar Hexacopter.....

I like it so far, really stable. I had to test fly in some pretty healthy/cold winds but I have settings were I like them now. I am at 225 on the basic gains and 100 on the atittude gains. I had the atittude gains up high but I don't like the way it snaps back to level so fast. I prefer the softer leveling especially in the winds.

I am still a bit puzzled as to how high the basic gains can go without oscillation. I did upgrade to the latest firmware and this might have something to do with it. All I know is that there is no way I would be able to get up to 225 on my quad without the jiggles. This thing is a big pussy cat to fly, a lot bigger than my quad. It falls with very little wobble when I cut the throttle back even with the high gains. I need to get it out in some calm air sometime and tweak it further but for now I like it

I am getting 6.5 min on my 4s 3600 pack before my Quanum beeps at 3.5 volts I am quite pleased with this. My AUW with the NEX 5n is 2670 grams. 2245 grams without camera.

Mike