Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Darsh, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:19 PM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Build Log
Funtura - Pusher Prop Foamie

Hello guys After years of honourable service my trusty depron Vampire finally bit it (actually, it bit a tree trunk at full throttle nose in), so i'm left with a handful of servos and a BL motor. What to do? Mmmh... Now that i've come accustomed with 3d modeling, I've decided to create my own design... well, almost. KFm2 wing (kinda sorta) one sheeter... if it flies, i'll post plans
I'm going slightly maaaad....
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Day one: layout and foam cutting.

First day. As you can see the sheet is not covered completely (sheet size is 1200x800 mm) so this is going to end up a little bugger... i love myself a good challenge. Wingspan is 750mm, lenght (without motor) is around 800mm.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Day two: begin assembly

I've started to glue all the parts together. Fitting isn't tight as i was hoping to, probably some parts will need to be adapted in order to fit nicely. But really, can't complain much... so far. I'm using polyrethane glue, so those yellow blobs you see are exceeding glue expanding... while the glue cures, i'm holding all the pieces together using clear packing tape.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Day four: starting to come together

I haven't done much over the weekend, but here's the pic of today's little progress:
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:34 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,829 Posts
Awesome Subbed

K
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Day five: stuff dat turkey

Time to install the electronics before i seal them by glueing the top of the fuselage. I intend to keep everything inside the fuse for a number of reasons, including mass centralization, streamlining etc etc.
Of course being a goof and a rush builder, I've overlooked some basic things and had to find ingenuous solutions for stupid problems I've created myself. On to the pics!
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Day seven: almost there

Ok, we're getting closer to the final goal. After sanding, cutting, removal of a thousand blobs of dry glue, and excessive swearing, I must say that the mechanical part is over. I can't say I'm too satisfied with the final result, but I'll have to fly it first before emitting a final judgement. Now it needs an adequate paintjob; i was planning on covering the top side in red, but then again it was looking like something at the same time too dull and too much of an hassle for a simple thing like this, that i'm not even sure if it will fly or not.
So i went over the internet for some "insipiration", and found a few things that captured my attention:

On to the sticker drawing board
Last edited by Darsh; Nov 09, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Day eight: 100% complete

Finally it's done. Just printed out some stickers and slapped them unceremoniously in place (i'm still not so sure this will fly as intended so i didn't have a case for an elaborate paintjob).
Alas, due to stormy weather, the maiden is likely to be postponed to next weekend (hopefully). If it flies, i'll post plans
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Post-first flight debriefing

Ok, in short:
  1. It flies.
  2. It can be pretty fast and accelerates well.
  3. The overall structure is pretty robust, with the exception of the two suspended beams before the intakes (don't ask me how i found out)
  4. I picked the wrong day to maiden it because despite the clear skies, fast winds and gusts made the ride pretty interesting, hence one landing was not top notch (my fault).

So, as promised, here are the building plans and instructions
Plans are in 1200x800mm format, A4 and letter. Only remember to install leverages and electronics BEFORE attaching the top part of the fuselage, unless you plan on carving a plethora of service hatches throughout the fuselage. Enjoy!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:27 PM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
Video

Hi just wondering if there is a flight video?sharp looking plane.
Ken
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Sorry, i did not think about making one. Will try to amend making some in flight photos as soon as the wind dies down.