HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:20 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
Mine came today. Here is its first ever flight, right out of the box, in our family room. What a great plane.

Gordon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSAgLLHaKJA
It's a blast aint' it?
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:18 AM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Anybody try an Ember prop, 100x60? Works VERY well. Thrust not down considerably, same maximum, higher revs means less power use, but I noticed only marginal longevity increase among 10 flights this afternoon, 6 with the Ember prop.
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:44 PM
220 221 Whatever it takes
USA, IL, Belleville
Joined Dec 2009
276 Posts
My wing is not glued to the rear post. Is it supposed to be like that? I assumed it was broken when I opened the box.

THX for replies!
captdave221 is offline Find More Posts by captdave221
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:44 AM
Senior Moments...I forgot
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
A drop of CA wil fix that.

John
JohnC is offline Find More Posts by JohnC
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:32 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
A drop of CA wil fix that.

John
You'll pay for that if you ever have to put a new wing on. I believe there friction fit and if to loose to stay I'd use a glue less permanent like Beacon Foam-tac or UHU-creative
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:01 PM
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
I have carved many a gearbox box to replace a landing gear on my old Vapor. Yeah CA is for keeps. Now I have to find a way to hold the battery on to the mini vapor. On my old vapor when the gear was off i used a piece of shrink tubing and that solved that problem. Just slide the battery in. The shrink was shrunk down to a snug fit.

I don't want to carve up a gearbox etc to put shrink tubing on the Mini Vpaor. My brain cells are working over time to solve this one.

John F. Clarke
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:53 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
@John- I put the felt piece from the battery tray directly on the front fuselage.
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:44 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
I don't want to carve up a gearbox etc to put shrink tubing on the Mini Vpaor. My brain cells are working over time to solve this one.

John F. Clarke
Lost me there. I added a heat shrink sleeve to the existing battery tray on mine:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=5325189

Removed all the hook and loop and attached the sleeve with UHU Por. The "wings" on the sides of the battery get spread out for an interference fit.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:40 AM
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
I think I will do the exactly the same thing. I did my original vapor with shrink tubing but when the landig gear broke I sliced off the the gearbox and slid the landing gear off. I pre shrunk some shrink tubing, slide it over the fuselage and around the battery tray. For over two years now it has worked just fine,

I have to watch out when I fly high alpha on the mini vapor not to do a very tight turn If I do it drops a wing and before I can react splat. Tough little bird.

John F. Clarke
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:03 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
954 Posts
Anyone notice that their wing is built incorrectly? On mine, the left side has less undercamber than the right. This is because the TE "rib" bracket is upside down. They are not symmetrical, and if one is inverted, the brace from LE to TE ends up bowed and the wing covering ends up nearly flat. This causes a left bank, requiring right rudder trim to fly straight. I assume it also reduces lift and changes the flight characteristics.

It also looks like the upper CF rod between the LE and the TE on the left wing is larger diameter (and stiffer) than on the right wing.

Since it does not look like it is practical to disassemble the wing to flip the bracket over, I called Horizon and they are supposedly sending another wing. The guy I spoke with did not sound surprised in the least, so I assume they have seen this before.

Which brings up the question.... anyone know what kind of glue they use to put this thing together? On mine, it looks like the wing is glued into the frame supports.... I cannot pull it off and there looks like there is a small glue fillet. Not sure what kind of solvent to try.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:26 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
I picked up one of these but the additional batteries weren't in yet so I just had one to try it with. I didn't have a lot of luck in the bedroom with the cathedral ceiling with trying to get a good CG for slower flight. I will have to take it to our indoor venue to trim it properly first.

Adam and Gordon, Auburn is open for the winter season again on fridays at this point. Hope you guys can come down again this year
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:29 AM
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
delete
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:47 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I picked up one of these but the additional batteries weren't in yet so I just had one to try it with. I didn't have a lot of luck in the bedroom with the cathedral ceiling with trying to get a good CG for slower flight. I will have to take it to our indoor venue to trim it properly first.
I'm still playing around with various ways of optimizing and trimming mine. Like you, I have limited space to fly it in totally calm air except for twice weekly indoor sessions.

That said, I have been trying glide tests, and that seems to be a decent way to get the overall CG and trim correct. When both are correct, a gentle toss slightly nose down will result in a smooth glide of about 8-10 feet from a 3-4 foot launch altitude with a steady angle of attack.... no porpoising.

Currently, I am using the factory specd 60mm CG location, which results in a level elevator trim for a good glide. YMMV since my wing is defective and that may change the CG/trim requirements vs. planes that have good wings.

Note that it seems to have a pronounced pitch up with power/speed tendency, so the power-on trim will be different. I'm playing around with mixing throttle >> elevator but haven't had the opportunity to fine tune it yet.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Last edited by pgoelz; Dec 01, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:01 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
I'm still playing around with various ways of optimizing and trimming mine. Like you, I have limited space to fly it in totally calm air except for twice weekly indoor sessions.

That said, I have been trying glide tests, and that seems to be a decent way to get the overall CG and trim correct. When both are correct, a gentle toss slightly nose down will result in a smooth glide of about 8-10 feet from a 3-4 foot launch altitude with a steady angle of attack.... no porpoising.

Currently, I am using the factory specd 60mm CG location, which results in a level elevator trim for a good glide. YMMV since my wing is defective and that may change the CG/trim requirements vs. planes that have good wings.

Note that it seems to have a pronounced pitch up with power/speed tendency, so the power-on trim will be different. I'm playing around with mixing throttle >> elevator but haven't had the opportunity to fine tune it yet.

Paul
Hadn't thought of glide tests. Good tip. yeah, I get extra batteries monday and then there is a small gym indoor session wednesday nights I might go to. House full of grandkids for the weekend so probably not a good time to try it in the main house area
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:45 PM
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
I had to get rid of the velcro as it did not hold very well.

I modded the battery tray. I removed the velcro. I shrunk a piece of shrink tubing to a nice fit for the battery. The tubing was attached to the tray with two sided tape. I then used two thin strips of clear scotch tape and wrapped that around each side and onto the bottom of the tray.The tape is also sticking to the two sided sticky tape on the shrink tubing and tray. That way the tray can still be moved foreward or aft of the CG.

So far so good. If I ever need to change a wing or landing gear I will redo the mini vapor to the same way I did the old vapor.

Now for more flying at the cradle. I will not move the tray to far back from the CG and use up elevator to get nose high. That and a little throttle mangement I should be able to fly in a very small area.

After I had have that done. I will try the living room.

John F. Clarke
Last edited by JohnC; Dec 01, 2012 at 02:50 PM.