to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:20 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozvooky View Post
Can someone help me?
This is a scan of them, hopefully you can enlarge or decrease the size in your printer. Exact measurements aren't necessary almost anything will work within reason. Check the Ember thread and you'll see mine aren't anything like the stock ones and another member has a couple different designs.
TODD
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post22458025
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:15 PM
Concorde :D
Joined Jan 2012
59 Posts
Oh my god!!! Thank you soooo much
Ozvooky is offline Find More Posts by Ozvooky
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:00 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,537 Posts
Made some changes to the Mini Vapor.

Removed the "bread tie" used to secure the motor and battery wires to the fuselage stick. Removed all the velcro from the battery and battery tray. Removed pull tab from the battery leaving only the top label. There was a bit of extra adhesive here and there that got scraped off the air frame.

Installed a set of nice "indoor" wheels. Made a battery sleeve from heat shrink and secured it to the stock battery tray with UHU Por. The battery is much easier to get in and out and stays put. No dangling battery half way through a flight. Moved the rudder push rod to the inner hole (I kept finding myself at full stick flying in the basement).

No change in flying weight. Still 9.2g
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:18 AM
Senior Moments...I forgot
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
I would strongly urge you to secure the battery wires with some thread. reason if you keep on flexing the wires near the attach point on the receiver that will break the wires inside the insulation.

I found out the hard way. I had resolder the wires back on to the board and used a small glob of silcone adhesive. I then use thread to tie the wires to the fuslage frame.

I used the shrink tubing on the battery tray on my original vapor for the same reason.

John F. Clarke
JohnC is offline Find More Posts by JohnC
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Sep 2002
6,537 Posts
I may have to tie off the wires as you suggest. But having the wires break would force me to shorten the battery leads to a more reasonable length.

Any significant weight savings on this model is going to have to come from the sum of numerous small savings. But how far to go and how much to spend? It is already quite capable of the mission that I purchased it to fulfill. Flying an airplane in the house w/o damaging the plane or the environment (walls, furniture etc).
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:58 AM
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
Good point on the length of the battery wires. I to want to fly in the house. I have a mini Bapor but have not flown it yet Ehrn I can get to my usual flying site I will fly it. I want to feel it out first. It is hard to not try it. I have been try to build a 3.75 gram biplane but so far the second build is 4 grams. I may try again to get it lighter.

John f. Clarke
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:14 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
Made some changes to the Mini Vapor.

Removed the "bread tie" used to secure the motor and battery wires to the fuselage stick. Removed all the velcro from the battery and battery tray. Removed pull tab from the battery leaving only the top label. There was a bit of extra adhesive here and there that got scraped off the air frame.

Installed a set of nice "indoor" wheels. Made a battery sleeve from heat shrink and secured it to the stock battery tray with UHU Por. The battery is much easier to get in and out and stays put. No dangling battery half way through a flight. Moved the rudder push rod to the inner hole (I kept finding myself at full stick flying in the basement).

No change in flying weight. Still 9.2g
Tim,
I suspect the main way to lighten the plane would be to recover it with WES clear film. I removed the film from a Vapor wing once and weighed it and calculated weight per square inch. It was substantially heavier than WES film. I can't find my records on that, but I think the WES film was less than 1/5 the weight of the Vapor covering.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
Tim,
I suspect the main way to lighten the plane would be to recover it with WES clear film. I removed the film from a Vapor wing once and weighed it and calculated weight per square inch. It was substantially heavier than WES film. I can't find my records on that, but I think the WES film was less than 1/5 the weight of the Vapor covering.

Gordon
How strong is the WES film?

So far the Mini Vapor can bounce off the floor lamp and go down inverted behind the TV w/o issue

And I'd lose that wonderful factory paint job LOL
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:18 PM
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
I have the "WES" film from Homefly and it not as tough as the Vapor film. I used the flim on my Dave Roeblem "Walker".

My two cents

John F. Clarke
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:06 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,041 Posts
I like the wheels, Tim.

Dont get to do much RC stuff these days, but when I saw this one, I had to carve out some time. Fun little plane, slows down well or zips along, very maneuverable. I used its box to make a ramp for super short take offs, making a U turn and trying to land on the ramp is a fun game, as is buzzing the ceiling fan, or loops or attempted inverted flying.

I've got the push rods in the lowest hole for both the elevator and rudder, swapped out the connectors so I could use the batch of 5 30mah lipos I got from bidproducts a while back. They weigh .1g more than the stock one, but I can get a ten minute flight if I stay off the throttle.

The covering art leaves a bit to be desired IMO, I've got some esaki tissue, but dont know if that'll end up being lighter or not. A fourth channel could make things interesting. Great plane, perfect for LRF'ing...time to make some floats, or find some SMD LEDs.

Nick

Parkzone Mini Vapor fun (5 min 42 sec)
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,537 Posts
Some video of the Mini Vapor in the basement.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post23361578
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:05 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
How strong is the WES film?

So far the Mini Vapor can bounce off the floor lamp and go down inverted behind the TV w/o issue

And I'd lose that wonderful factory paint job LOL
The WES film is "strong enough." I've covered my Aileron Vapor, Air Bender, and others with it. When a plane hits a wall the covering doesn't shatter. That's not the direction that impacts would harm covering. What's more likely is that WES covering won't hold up as well in mid-air impacts, particularly with a prop. But, I built my Aileron Vapor from a Vapor I got my daughter for Christmas, and the first time she flew it someone with a Sukhoi was out of control and shredded the covering off pretty much just about the entire Vapor. So, I wouldn't worry about the strength of the WES covering. Anything that shreds it is likely to also shred the standard covering.

Very nice video of the Mini Vapor in your basement. Mine arrives in a couple of days and I'm guessing my boys will be all over it flying it in our house. I also have two spare wings coming with it.

Gordon
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:29 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Got mine today- It's marvelous!

Removed .2g worth of stickers and some plastic.

Flies well, even with a 70mAh cell!!
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:10 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,428 Posts
Mine came today. Here is its first ever flight, right out of the box, in our family room. What a great plane.

Gordon

Mini Vapor 1st Flight (0 min 52 sec)
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Nov 26, 2012 at 08:21 PM.