Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, AZ, Cave Creek
Joined Jul 2012
370 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone Mini-Vapor!

http://parkzone.com/Products/Default...odID=PKZU1280:
Mustang Racer 9 is offline Find More Posts by Mustang Racer 9
Last edited by Mustang Racer 9; Aug 09, 2013 at 10:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:52 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,263 Posts
Can't fly as slow as the original vapor to much wing load for it's size. Heavy for it to. Parkzone re-hashing out same planes just different in color and size ...guess they're running out of new ideas for different planes.
NEWBEFLYER is online now Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:18 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,438 Posts
Just curious how you know the wing loading since Horizon doesn't give wing area in their specs? Did you estimate the wing area?

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:23 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,438 Posts
There is a huge thread in the Micro RTF forum on this plane. Here is a repost of my post #35 over there.

================

Ok, here goes. This in no way is knocking Horizon. But, my guess from eyeballing the motor and gearbox in the picture is that they may be using a 6x10mm motor similar to the one Ares is using in their Nano-Stik. Ares uses a 30mAh cell with Parkzone style end and identical plug. Horizon's specs list a 30mAh cell for the Micro Vapor.

Here are weights of the original Vapor, and its 6mm gearbox with prop and rubber spinner, and its 70mAh cell and 3.3g Vapor brick.

To the right is the stated weight of the Mini Vapor. If we assume they use a gearbox and prop (3.2 inch) similar to the one in the Ares, and if their 30mAh cell weighs about the same as the Ares 30mAh cell, then we can calculate implied airframe weights for both planes if they use the same Vapor brick.

As can be seen, the Vapor airframe weight is about 5.5g. To achieve the 8.6g weight of the Mini Vapor they would have to reduce the weight of the airframe to a mere 1.6g, which I think is highly unlikely. My best guess is that they do save weight on the airframe, but also have a new brick that is lighter than the original Vapor's 3.3g.

Here is a picture of a Vapor motor and gearbox with 70mAh cell next to the Aers smaller 6mm gearbox and their 30mAh cell, as well as the official picture of the Aeres plane (which I got for my daughter and she flew at our indoor yesterday).

Hope this helps. And, I hope my guess of a lighter brick is correct.

This is all predicated on the 8.6g weight being correct.

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Oct 30, 2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Jan 2005
768 Posts
My version of Mini Vapor

Last year I developed a 2 Ch. Mini Vapor that flies real slow and weighs in
at 6.3 grams flying weight. I used Plantraco Electronics and motor.
Motor = GB05 with CF 3222 Prop
RCVR = Micro 9
Actuator = 0.22 gram hinge Act
Battery = FR 20mah/20C
Wing: Span = 9.75" Cord = 4.25" Covering = Clear Wrap
Ribs = 3mm Depron Wing Frame = 0.5mm CF Rod
Fuselage = 1mm CF Tube, 11.5" long
Horz Stab: Frame = 0.5mm CF Rod, Covering = Clear Wrap
Vert Stab/Rudder = 1mm ProFormance
scharlach is offline Find More Posts by scharlach
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Nov 2008
514 Posts
I might be a good time for Parkzone review their product as a respected company. I 've seen way many scratch built mirco here in this forum looks and fly better than the new mini vapour, the colour may be good for children but look at the cover of the wing loose like a rain jacket....This new plane didn't even fly better than a airhog bi-plane.

Edmond
Edmond Y is online now Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:09 PM
state college, pa
Joined Aug 2002
326 Posts
From the top view in the user manual, the wing area is very close to 35 sq. in. Weight is stated at 8.7g, which brings the wing loading to 1.26 oz/sq. ft. Rx is listed as the following:
http://parkzone.com/Products/Default...rodID=PKZU1252
RC_AV8R_181 is offline Find More Posts by RC_AV8R_181
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:52 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,438 Posts
Ben,
I hadn't thought about estimating it from the drawing in the user's manual. I skimmed it quickly looking for part numbers before Horizon had them up on their site, and didn't think to use that drawing. Thanks. Notice that the new brick doesn't have any specs, such as weight. I have one on back order and have my fingers crossed that it's lighter than the 3.3g std Vapor brick.

Your estimate of 1.26 oz/sq.ft is pretty close to what I was guessing. I think I beat that by a mile with my new LRF Dr.1 triplane's 0.35 oz/sq.ft loading.

Gordon
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:36 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,606 Posts
I got to eyeball one of these at the JR Indoor Fest. The brick is smaller than a std. Vapor brick. My son was able to test fly one when one of the Horizon guys was demo flying in the micro area. He says it flies like a Vapor, but can easily turn smaller circles than a std. Vapor.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:10 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
964 Posts
HorizonHobby.com On the Horizon 10-25-12 (19 min 38 sec)

About 5 minutes in Mike McConville presents the Mini Vapor
Pouncer is online now Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:13 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,455 Posts
I agree with Tim's observation. I'd love to try one in my house but I suspect it will be a true living room flyer as long at it's in fairly high alpha. I was very impressed with it at JR also when I got a chance to fly it.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:25 PM
Senior Moments...I forgot
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
I just ordered a Mini Vapor. Now for the wait. I can fly my present vapor in a very small area and in fact i can get it to chace its tail in a very tight turn with full up elevator, fun to do. I hope I can fly this one in my back room of my house. I hope I not will be dispointed. I watched the video. Hard to really get a feel of the speed. With the camera close it makes it looks fast. I bet it can be slowed down a lot. I am sure some guys will take the wheels off and change the covering to clear etc..

. John F. clarke
JohnC is offline Find More Posts by JohnC
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:52 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
Im betting they had to keep the plane close to the camera as it is so small which would be perceived as flying faster than the vapor. Sounds like it has a lighter brick which may open up more small light scale planes, yet another plus

I will see if i can get my hands on one this season.

Edit; i cannot believe he said that actuator planes do not use remote trims, total sales garbage and not true whatsoever. They should do a little research before making claims like that!
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Last edited by derk; Nov 05, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:44 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
If you can't fly the original vapor in a living room, you need more practice. Buying a smaller plane will not magically make you not hit things.

The most exciting thing about the mini vapor are the electronics. A new non-AS3X board that would be great for peanut scale. I hope they offer other "mini" ultra micro planes.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:57 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7 View Post
I hope they offer other "mini" ultra micro planes.
I think our future is full of them, just not as fast as we'd like them. I'm hoping the Embers next.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv