Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:36 PM
Air Assassin
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Thanx Walt. Had the thought about moving unit back, glad I'm not nuts.
Speaking of keeping the intakes clean, I am thinking of putting the servos for ailerons in wing to keep ducts clear . My wing is thick enough and I thought of making some skid covers for them. Also gonna go 2 stab servos. Never liked the 1 for 2 wire.
RogueAce is offline Find More Posts by RogueAce
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:12 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
or you could put the servos on the top of the wing and don't worry about skid plates. just a thought.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:35 PM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Trying not to see the servos if possible, but thanx for the thought Evo.

I'll be posting pics tomorrow after I get the next stage going....AFT FUSE and Fuse Sides and motor mount location and design. Gonna yank unit from Meteor to get a good idea of what's up. Also gotta figure out a hatch of sorts.....Hmmmm
Today the airfoils were completed. Look nice. Gonna use the masking paper and elmers glue covering method. Then primer, paint and coated. BUT ..that's still a bit down the road.

Thanx for all the input and ideas

C
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:13 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if it goes like snot, it aint gonna matter where the servos are. LMAO.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:38 PM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Something has been bugging me about this planes parts. The plans have an "exhaust tube top" piece that I believe is unnecessary. The Horz Stab has that part moulded into it.

ANYONE have a clue????
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
How are you doing the intake?
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:19 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Craig, I put my servos on top in the fuse with just the top and arm sticking out, this plane has big ailerons and it worked out great, better than putting them on the bottom of the wing, I always have trouble with them down there with belly landings.. I also have two servos for the elevator, you can slave another chanel for this to work both, but if you are out of Chanel's you can reverse one of the servos and "Y" connect them together. The exhaust tube top,,,,, throw away.. w
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:20 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
On the aileron servos, I have them pretty close to the ailerons, so I just use a short linkage wire with 2 Z bends, and when all painted, they almost disappear. Hope this helps. W
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:16 AM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
I am NOT losing it after all !! The nozzle part is left over from pusher prop plans.(just left on parts sheet) So...yes Walt.I will dispose of.
W...I have also changed my mind to go w/Aileron servos in fuse. After hearing you say that the inlets are too big I saw that by thickening the inlet sides w/1/2" foam I gain the ablility to mount servos just how you said....w/servo arm and control rod coming out. This also keeps inlet clear of wires or obstruction. I am gonna do same with twin Elev. servos.
The access hatch that I so desired doesn't look like it will be possible,so I have to build in the Edf unit. This will delay finish until I get new Edf unit. The Meteor's will only give me an idea of mount and spacings, but I like to know for sure.
I still have plenty to do, shaping inner ducts , servo set ups and other little things,until new stuff arrives.
Pics coming
C
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:52 AM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Pics from last few days progress. May cover the Ailerons and Elv flaps today as well as work on inlets and servo mounting. Still filling and sanding all areas as needed. I really like the Subterrain foam putty...works great,sands smoothe!

Foamies are a far cry from a Sterling Ringmaster U-control kit(which is how I got started YEARS AGO ) but are very forgiving and easily repaired. And at $1 a sheet for $Tree foam....mistakes dont feel like a disaster.

All your guys' input is greatly appreciated
C
Last edited by RogueAce; Nov 02, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:04 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Now since you made the fuse 2 layers, sand the ducts and make them more rounded.. I did t have access to my fan unit, it is fine, if I ever have to get to it, I'll just cut a hatch in the bottom to get to it, take a pic and measure from the end of the exhaust to the fan keep a record so you know exactly where it is if you need to get to it.. Plane looks great, don't forget to sand in some washout in the wing. W
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:48 PM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
I was hoping to hide the servos for ailerons and elev. by having them standing upright along inlet sides, almost laminated in , but it would be a nightmare.
So..I will have to do what everyone has done and stick them thru sides.
The inlets will get more work tomorrow. I have to get servo wire extensions and 2 "Y" harnesses before installing servos. There is no room in this plane for hiding things.
C
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:25 AM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
I'm afraid that I am going to have to make a harsh decision and say goodbye to the LHS !! Although I wouldn't have to pay any shipping , wait for parts or worry that my order would be screwed up, my comparison shopping for the EDF unit and some small parts, has shown me the HUGE price difference. Ex. 1 70A brushless esc at LHS is $92. On HK I can get a 70A sbec brushless esc for $29. NO BRAINER !!
Sometimes availability comes at a higher cost !!
C
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:00 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
don't worry, it's doesn't take that long. check hobbypartz. they may be the same, or slightly more, but you'de have it in a few days. worth a look anyway.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Definitely hobbypartz. Dynam escs are great and cheap. Got 80a for my cs fan for like 24
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents