SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:28 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
just picked up a secound hand, never flown, CG Piper Cub, with an magnum 80fs.
SWEET! Just a quick note, in case you've never flown a Cub before, be SURE you have sufficient airspeed before liftoff. To many people throw the power to them and either ground loop or stall it just after liftoff. They're generally not happy being horsed off the ground. I fly an 80" H9 on electric with Robart landing gear and it's just a beauty in the air. I really think you'll enjoy it.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:21 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,427 Posts
I don't really count it as a cub! but I did own a sureflite 48" foamie, that I had a 20fs on, it was a blast ta fly on ski's!

I think at one time or another, everyone should own a cub!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:02 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,578 Posts
landing gear

This is what happens when your flying/building buddy is old, or at least has been building forever. I got them from him. Dubro could take a lesson in learning here. Couple these with the Sullivan S889 wheel pant mounts and I'm Golden for mounting wheels & pants. These fit almost PERFECT in the CF landing gear. Maybe 1/64" difference in hole size. Look at the price tag.. These sure beat the supplied bolts/nuts/collars.

Dan
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:45 PM
Lathrop, Missouri, United States
Joined Oct 2004
476 Posts
set up

Would something like this work??
gjhinshaw is offline Find More Posts by gjhinshaw
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Oct 2004
476 Posts
YES, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! It's NOT HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!! And IF YOU don't like it... GO BACK TO YOUR OWN COUNTRY!!! Just is what it IS!!!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:28 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Thats a great price for those axles
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:29 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhinshaw View Post
YES, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! It's NOT HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!! And IF YOU don't like it... GO BACK TO YOUR OWN COUNTRY!!! Just is what it IS!!!
Damn Gerry, I didn't know you were that old... MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Oh my! Shocked, yes shocked I am! I like the way you think..

and no I don't think that'll work.
I pulled an idiot thing with yer buddies from Bennet tho. I kept trying to order via the link you gave me and kept hitting a brick wall. Two days? later I figured out the link was just for tank sizes. I wrote them, chastized them but then had to apologize. They had the stupid 'add to cart' option on the tank size page. Why the 'add to cart' link is still up as of today is beyond me. I'm guessing the lack of a web site designer else damn little concern for the customer.

Dan
Last edited by deckert; Dec 19, 2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:22 AM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,427 Posts
hey deckert!

you ever get the feeling we should be building an ark not airplanes!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Oct 2004
476 Posts
LOL... Dan, yea... Ima old guy. Sometimes anyway... I get told that I still play with toys...haha!
I am working on solving this issue.. I think what can be done is to move the servo. I am drawing it up so you can see it.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Oct 2004
476 Posts
Dan

What about this??? I think this will work!!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:06 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
hey deckert!

you ever get the feeling we should be building an ark not airplanes!
Your side is getting dumped on and my side is getting blown away. I'm thinking a sailboat at least.
Yesterday @ 5am...
(Wind Speed - 49mph, Todays High - 83mph @ 4:33am)

My tank arrived and I'll pick it up today. I sure hope the sucker fits. I'm just about ready to make one from tin like the olden days. I'll throw up a pic when (if) I get it in the framing.

Dan
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:26 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,578 Posts
Well, the new tank doesn't fit like it could/should. Good news is there's enough room for the throttle rod/cable to go past the tank. The exit hole, for the tank spout, in the firewall is to high. It can't be cut lower as it would cut the bottom motor mount in two. So I'm left with cutting the canopy cross-framing in two & beefing it up in order to keep the tank sitting flat. Moving the tank rearward, and sitting flat on the existing floor plate, (there's room to do this) leaves the tank tubes bending/looping/laying over the hole in the firewall, recessed way back and not doing anything in the way of helping CG. I'll know better after installing more equipment and getting the wheels mounted.

In the FWIW dept. This stupid tank, some new softer Dubro tires & the Sullivan wheel pant mounts cost me about $245.00 before I left the store.

Fortunately, the $$ spent included a NIB EFL4625 So now I have 2ea. J3 in 80", 2ea. in 62" and a regular Cub in 68". Lordy, I must be stupid! In some sense of warped thinking, the 2nd 80" & 62" are still NIB for a just in case...
Whiskey tonight and build in the morning..

Dan
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:07 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,578 Posts
Cowl cut for the Tank

Here's the mod. I probably should have done this to begin with and quit all my whining and sniveling. But I was just hoping for an easy solution. Although it looks as though I went overboard, I don't know for sure. This mod put the canopy back to a no twist just like the original framing. FWIW, a 14oz Dubro tank would have fit as well. But the Dubro has the extended lip on the bottom that puts the tank stopper back behind the firewall. I'll still need to build a tray or support to carry the back end of the tank to hold it level and stop it from ever sliding back.

Dan
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:41 AM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,427 Posts
ya deckert! sometimes we tend to over think some things, when the simpilest fix may be the best!

specially when your working on a multi powerd plane! it was easier back in the day, when all planes where designed for glow!

that mod looks pretty clean! keep up the great work!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:37 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Great work
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50