SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:38 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,557 Posts
Tail feathers are all rigged. Dual servos on the elevators, pull-pull on the rudder & hitting pretty close to 45 degress of throw on all.

Hit a snag today. The supplied engine mounts are holding the engine 1/4" out to far away from the firewall. Not sure what I'm going to do here short of trying a different mount. Engine is Saito .82.

Update: Reversed the mount, hacked it up a little and now have room. I just need to plug the previous holes and fuel-proof them.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
Last edited by deckert; Dec 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:33 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,557 Posts
Got the motor in & the cowl mounted. Still need to cutout for the exhaust and get a fuel tank installed. Take note if you mount the cowl with screws on the side. There's a slot on both sides with very little material for backing. I missed this & just got lucky.

Dan
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:27 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,374 Posts
very kleen install deckert!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:57 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,524 Posts
O Boy I can't wait for a flight report.
A friend of mine bought a .50 goldwing mx from GMP.
It has a 70 OS in it and I love the way it flys.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:20 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
O Boy I can't wait for a flight report.
Thanks for the kind words whiskeykid. It was a LOT of put it on, take it off with everything.
Kerwin50, if our stinking weather doesn't improve, it might be next year before I even get to fly. Ironically enough, the weather pulled the same shenanigans last year with my other Sbach.

Dan
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:21 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,524 Posts
I'll be waitning patiently.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:49 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,557 Posts
Stuck on hold. Have to wait for new mufflers and a fuel tank. I ordered the P51 tank Kerwin suggested. Unk if it'll fit or not but hoping so. I found 3 of the old style mufflers and bought all 3.

There are issues installing a larger fuel tank, at least for what I'm doing. If you look at #1 in the image, that's the actual size that 'could' be installed. But that leaves me with no room for a throttle rod/cable to be installed. #2 is the actual size for a tank that would fit ahead of the former where the canopy butts up and pins in. The 2" h on the #1 is because the canopy has a cross frame in it that would hit a tank were it any higher. I 'could' remove the canopy framing but I'd rather not if I can get a tank to fit. #2 shows where my throttle linkage needs to be. My flying buddy/builder came to see if there's another way to do this and we're seeing the same thing for the throttle linkage without hacking something to death. I hate hacking something up but it may come to that. If the new tank fits, I'll be a happy camper until I start on the axles & wheel pants.
Ever onward I guess..

Dan
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:15 AM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,374 Posts
seen it done on heli's, not shure if it would help here, but you couold use a duel tank set-up!

use a smaller head tank that fits in the nose with a larger secoundary tank behind it!

without actually seeing your plane, its just a thought!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:01 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,524 Posts
Alot of times on 4 stroke set ups I'll use a big loop. The linkage comes out the fire wall, goes to the front, the distance of the engine, gose over to the engine and then back to the carb.
bell cranks will also work.
Last edited by kerwin50; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:59 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,557 Posts
Here's what I have.. Whiskykid, that was a thought, brief, but a thought. Kerwin50, there's just no room to loop back and get a connection to the carb because it's located behind the motor. Me and my building partner just can't see a way to bell crank it. I go to him for advice because he has 30 years in building. Granted we could both be missing something but I don't know what. Sorry for the grunting in the vid. Old age thing I guess. I even grunt when I'm... never mind.

Dan

MVI 0656 (0 min 50 sec)
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:56 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,524 Posts
I wish I was good at drawining on the PC.
Picture this.
Your throttle linkage comes out the brass fitting heading towards the motor. At a 1/4 inch frome the brass fitting it makes a 90 degree bend towards the muffler. Just past the motor box it makes another 90 degree turn back to the firewall. From there you should be able to nyrod it.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:55 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,374 Posts
ok this may sound just silly!

but I "ASSUME" that you physicaly have enough room too fully open and close throttle, that being the case! sense there is no resistance I.E. spring, on the throttle!

why can't you just run a rod dwn the side off motor box, bend it 90 and striat into your easy link? just a simple one bend and done!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:09 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,557 Posts
Here's what I have. No dimensions but darn close to the actual parts. One thing to bear in mind is that I don't think I have any option except to put a Z bend in order to connect to the throttle arm. But maybe I'm wrong.
Yes, I have full open /close on the throttle as mounted.
Whiskykid, we 'kind of' looked at that but had some concerns. We're not so sure it wouldn't be binding up or flexing. I think we need to take another look at it. I have enough scrap to at least test it out.
Kerwin50, I'm guessing you had the same thoughts as Whiskeykid but run under the motorbox instead of beside it?
I hugely appreciate the ideas and will test both because they offer an option I didn't see.

In addition for Kerwin.. D/L a free program from Google called Sketchup. It's fairly intuitive and not that hard to learn. You can design in 3D. Granted it's not AutoCad but for designing in 3D and producing some pretty nice stuff, it's still super sweet. The image I attached was done in SketchUp 8 Pro and rendered as an image. I use Acad 2006 for technical dwgs but use Sketchup for rough ideas.

Last of all, my wife still loves me, the cats are fed(including the neighbors ), I'm pigged out on Schwans pork egg rolls, the bills are paid, the weather stinks and I hate holidays! Because I can say this, and defended the right for others to say it, Merry Christmas to all! If there are ANY individuals or entities that don't like it, then tough luck! Go whine somewhere else!

Dan
Last edited by deckert; Dec 15, 2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:38 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,524 Posts
Merry Christmas to all as well.
You can still use your easy link. just put a bend in it.
Usually throttles have less drag an force applied to them than say a surface. So a person can get by with bends and oddly shaped linkages.
I'm with you, I really don't like z bends on my motors.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:48 AM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,374 Posts
yes "MERRY X-MAS" ta all!!!

well now I am even more into your build! just picked up a secound hand, never flown, CG Piper Cub, with an magnum 80fs.

if I don't like the way it flys, I have several 2s that would be happy to take the place of that 4s! and leave that magum for an SBACH!
RCG Plus Member