HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:58 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,568 Posts
Build Log
Gold Wing SBach 60"

Bird arrived today from GMP. Packaging was superb. It'll be a week or so before I can get started on this. This bird was purchased specifically to put my Saito .82 into. There's a LOT of electrics and bigger gas ones out there but this is the 1st one I found that can take glow in the .82 range. I'm guessing it's in the 20% range for scale on the WS and around 22.5% on overall length. No hurry on this as our weather has turned to trash and I have two build/reviews to complete.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:42 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,417 Posts
seriously! now your just messin with me! lol ok I'll wait a bit longer!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:43 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
we're looking forward to your build an flight report.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:45 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,198 Posts
there's a couple of 60"/DLE20 setups out at our local airfield... pleeeeenty of power, pretty solid performance and 12+min flight times.

I just got the GW 75" Edge 540 V3 kit.... gonna load a DLE30 into it.

Flyracer
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:05 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,568 Posts
Teasers

Here's a view of the guts. 1st thing that needs to go is the fuel tank, 260cc just don't cut the mustard! If my consumption calcs are correct, an .81 burns 1oz per minute. That means I'd only have about 8 minutes of run time and that just ain't enuf! Dang! But there's more then enough room to go bigger.

There are two covered openings(1 on each side) to install a split servo elevator. Looks like I'll need to make some smaller mounts because the holes are for full size servos. Just like the Pilot1 SBach, there's no cross framing support to mount the horizontal stab. Only way to secure it is via the fuselage framing on each side. I guess it would work but.. Canopy latch is the same as the Pilot1. Nary a wrinkle on the fuse and the framing sure looks solid. More to come..

Dan
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:22 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,568 Posts
Be sure to check the slots on the wings for the CA hinges. Mine were wrong on the 1st wing or aileron, which ever way you want to look at it. The supplied CA hinges are SLOW to suck up the CA. They're not super absorbent like Dubros.

Dan
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:46 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,417 Posts
ya they recomend the freshest thin CA u can get your hands on
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:08 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,568 Posts
The horizontal stab doesn't fit as well as it should. The leading edge opening in the fuse is to big on both sides. Not REAL bad but not as good as it could/should be. Then there's the trailing edge. The fuse has that huge opening cut into it. It's basically cut out for a wood joiner for the elevators. But, the manual only states using a wire joiner. My kit has a shaped wood joiner for the elevators but no fabric to cover it if it was used. Plus you'd have to cut the covering on the elevators to epoxy it on. Just a poor design on someones part. I'll wind up plugging the holes and putting in some cross reinforcement pieces inside the stab opening in order to be certain it's glued in and will hold. Just using the fuselage framing for securing the stab isn't something I'm comfortable with. I'll be using dual servos on my elevators.

The orange covering sure seems a bit lacking in spots. Lacking because you can pretty much see through it. I can see the wood grain in more then 1 place. One image included on this is the turtle deck. It looks like the bird was repaired at the factory.

Dan
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:58 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
With ca hinges, I always liked pinning them from the under neath side with tooth picks.
I put a pieace of tape on the drill bit so I don't drill thru.
A buddy of mine has the older MX plane.
I really like the way it fly's
I hope the Sbach flys as good.
It looks really light.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:04 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
I hope the Sbach flys as good. It looks really light.
It's definitely built light. There's only 2 longitudinal 1/8 or 3/16 square sticks running the length of the fuselage on the bottom. I'd sure hate to smack the belly because something would be broken.

I went through the supplied ball link gear provided but I'm not so sure I'll use it. They operate really snug. Not quite so bad on left to right but length wise they seem to 'catch'. Maybe I can squeeze them & get them to loosen up. I'll see what happens. On the plus side, oversized horns are supplied if they're needed. Pretty good deal.

Hinge slots on the elevators didn't quite match the horizontal stab hinge slots on either side. Unknown what/how they cut the slots but they are definitely tight. Not a bad thing but I did have to use the backside of the knife to open them up just to get the CA hinges into the parts. I'm really glad I added the cross pieces into the stab. I don't believe I could have got any thinned out epoxy into the stab and been confident it was secure. It's really solid now just with CA.

Dan
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:01 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
I'm sure the ca is every bit as strong as the epoxy.
I'm really anxious about your build.
I'm considering the same plane.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:53 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,568 Posts
Elevators

Need to exercise some caution here when installing the control horns. The pre-cut slot extends completely through and it's easy to damage the covering on the top side. Since CA tends to do weird things to the covering sometimes, I installed a small piece of balsa before glueing the horn in place. It sets against the top side covering and moves the horn up about 1/16". You can see it in the image.

I did a test alignment with the horn just sitting in place and my elevator servo because I thought the pushrod might bottom out against the bottom side of the elevator. Because my servos (Futaba 3004) have HD arms on them, they're longer then the standard arms and will clear. I'm not sure standard arms are long enough.

Dan
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:25 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,568 Posts
Just need to install the tail wheel bracket & hinge the rudder. I had to bend my TW wire up a bunch for a decent fit. Mostly the Z bend part so the tw sits in the center of the rudder instead of off to one side. The supplied tires are pretty much junk. Way to hard for main gear and plastic centers. My tw wire takes off at a 45 degree angle at the top and the rudder was pre-drilled for it. I put it in with thinned out epoxy.

I re-used the covering from the stab to cover the holes behind the stab. It's not 'new' pretty but better then having bare wood.

Dan
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:52 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,568 Posts
No matter whether you decide to build for glow or electric, there's no provisions in the fuselage framing to install anything like on-board glow or power switches. Meaning they cut out everything they could to build a light airframe. There is plenty of room for switches but you'll have to cut/add your own build up on the fuselage sides so you have someplace to mount the switches. I used the right side in my case and added some balsa with a ply backup over the wing.

Why these weren't built in is beyond me. The added weight is so neglible. On the plus side, the supplied servo horn extensions are sure handy. I used the one for my pull-pull rudder. I did have to drill out the center to get it to sit flush but no big deal.

Dan
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:32 PM
Lathrop, Missouri, United States
Joined Oct 2004
474 Posts
CA Hinge

OK, I have a question.... On the CA hinge I do NOT see any coloring.... Did you not color them??

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckert View Post
Be sure to check the slots on the wings for the CA hinges. Mine were wrong on the 1st wing or aileron, which ever way you want to look at it. The supplied CA hinges are SLOW to suck up the CA. They're not super absorbent like Dubros.

Dan
gjhinshaw is offline Find More Posts by gjhinshaw