HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2003, 04:32 PM
Joined Dec 2003
15 Posts
Balsa USA of Bob Nelitz

I am considering a scratch build 1/3 J3 project. Need opinions on which plans are better Balsa USA or Nelitz?
TSuppa is offline Find More Posts by TSuppa
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2003, 06:23 PM
Joined Dec 2003
9 Posts
J3 plans

I'm not familiar with the Nelitz plans. Balsa USA usually has pretty good stuff. My opinion would be to build something other than a J3. I've had several quarter scale J3's, including this Clipped Wing version, and didn't like any of them.

Tim KS is offline Find More Posts by Tim KS
Last edited by Tim KS; Dec 10, 2003 at 06:32 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 03:51 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,005 Posts
The Nelitz plans are very accurate and have excellent detail.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Dec 18, 2003, 05:40 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
It depends on what you're looking for out of the plane.
If you want "true" scale, then the Nelitz is the only way to go. Bob designed his Cub using actual full scale drawings as a guide.

If you use the Nelitz plans only, and don't do any additional research, you'll still have a more accurate scale Cub than any other design available.

Highflight
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Aug 10, 2004, 07:46 AM
Joined Aug 2004
2 Posts
related

i am related to bob nelitz!but i dont know how far back yet!
agtstv is offline Find More Posts by agtstv
Old Aug 10, 2004, 07:58 AM
Joined Aug 2004
2 Posts
my great uncle
agtstv is offline Find More Posts by agtstv
Old Aug 10, 2004, 08:07 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
The Bob Nelitz Cub plans have become the "definitive" set of plans for building a true-scale Cub, and in 1/3 size, no less.

HOWEVER, they are NOT easy if you want to do everything yourself. There is some intricate welding of metal parts in the cabin area as well as the scale landing gear itself that needs to be done. That alone could discourage someone who is not "committed" to the project.

The Balsa USA Cub is much easier to build but don't get too hung up on scale although it DOES look nice when done.

I happen to have both, Balsa USA Cub that I'm flying now AND the Nelitz Cub with all construction finished and ready for covering with Stits.
The Balsa USA Cub will be easier to build and take less time from bench to runway while the Nelitz is more intricate (as a result of it's EXTREME scale design), more difficult and time consuming to build.
If you have the patience to build the Nelitz, you will be extremely proud of the finished product that would likely be a show winner if you detail it out correctly. You can probably find ready-made scale landing gear and maybe even the pre-welded cabin structure if you search a bit (and for a "price") that would make building the Nelitz a bit more enjoyable.
If you just want a Cub to fly that looks a lot like a cub, and you don't want to spend a lot of time building, then the Balsa USA is for you.

Highflight
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:49 PM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight
If you just want a Cub to fly that looks a lot like a cub, and you don't want to spend a lot of time building, then the Balsa USA is for you.

Highflight
Concur. I'm finishing up a BUSA 1/3 Cub in the L-4 variant, and found the cabin internal structure WAY WRONG, and their idea of an L-4 conversion is first build the J-3, then modify it to L-4. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Doesn't work, and if you want the cabin to be scale L-4 be prepared to chop out the entire upper cabin structure and start over, knowing that you have to cut out the major cabin spar structures in the process - bad idea. Bad. BAD.

OTOH if you do go for the BUSA kit and want to make it a 'stand pretty close scale' J-3, by all means snag the scale aileron kit. Way more better than the standard 'model airplane' ailerons. Pesky to get just right, but worth it.
the-plumber is offline Find More Posts by the-plumber
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:52 PM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSuppa
I am considering a scratch build 1/3 J3 project. Need opinions on which plans are better Balsa USA or Nelitz?
Um . . . . forgot . . . .

You do realize that a 1/3 scale Cub with standard wings spans some 140", or 4" less than _12 feet_, right ?
Old Aug 12, 2004, 04:04 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jun 2001
58 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

This is a 1/3 scale super cub. May not be what you are after if you want the J3.

Fred - the L4 is coming along slowly.... will send you some pics once I get some done.

Dwayne
madkiwi is offline Find More Posts by madkiwi
Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:58 PM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madkiwi
Fred - the L4 is coming along slowly.... will send you some pics once I get some done.
Dwayne
Dwayne -

I forgot - do I owe you photos of me electrical lash-up ?

Cheers,
Fred McClellan
Old Aug 15, 2004, 06:22 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jun 2001
58 Posts
Fred

No you gave me the wiring pics. Great help and I appreciate those.

Take care

Dwayne
madkiwi is offline Find More Posts by madkiwi
Old Aug 15, 2004, 09:28 PM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madkiwi
Fred

No you gave me the wiring pics. Great help and I appreciate those.

Take care

Dwayne
Okey doke.

I've had the whole system operational on the bench.

Happy camper, here.

Now for that pesky bit about filling and sanding and sanding and filling and sanding and probably some more sanding . . .

With any luck I'll have the beast ready to go in the trailer when that gets here in about three weeks.

Cheers,
Fred