HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
830 Posts
Question
ice rotation direction change via manual programming?

I have a field link card that has always worked fine. After a firmware upgrade on a ESC the field link no longer works. A quick search shows that it has older firmware than the esc and the field link needs a software upgrade to work again with that esc?

I got the manual programming directions for the ice esc - but in manual programming there is no rotation direction option! The esc is buried and soldered in place with very short wires and I don't want to remove it to swap wires.

Can I change rotation direction via manual programming? If so how?

PS. I knew I should have said no to a firmware change when the esc was working just fine!
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:48 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,785 Posts
Use the Castle Link. Go to the motor tab and change to reverse.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:53 AM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
830 Posts
I'm really not that stupid, If I could run the software I would just update my card. I can't run the software which is why I asked the question.

I spent nearly two hours swapping wires but I still wonder if you can change motor direction?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:35 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,785 Posts
Is it possible that you can install a Castle Quick Connect? That’s what I do and you will always have easy access for programming and firmware updates. I suggest that you do what’s necessary to install one. It may be a lot of work now but it’s an excellent long-term solution.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZYU2&P=7

Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:16 AM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biskit View Post
I'm really not that stupid, If I could run the software I would just update my card. I can't run the software which is why I asked the question.

I spent nearly two hours swapping wires but I still wonder if you can change motor direction?

Well two things---one, according to the User Guide, you don't have the option to change the motor direction via the transmitter, and two, why not upgrade the firmware in the card?

I recall there were some issues with Windows driver incompatibility (for the USB part of the link) between XP and Vista/W7+. I thought a fix (updating the link via XP) was the way to go for that problem, but not sure that is your problem.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
830 Posts
I realize the instructions do not say how to reverse with a radio. I do not have a computer to run the software. I could go borrow a computer but that takes time I don't have. I bought the field link to do this and now can't use it. It was quicker to just spend two hours and swap wires.

I'll rephrase the question: since you can change motor direction with a card/computer why can't you change it with a radio? This is a significant feature that I think should be addressed.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:39 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,785 Posts
Quote:
I realize the instructions do not say how to reverse with a radio. I do not have a computer to run the software. I could go borrow a computer but that takes time I don't have. I bought the field link to do this and now can't use it. It was quicker to just spend two hours and swap wires.

I'll rephrase the question: since you can change motor direction with a card/computer why can't you change it with a radio? This is a significant feature that I think should be addressed.
You could suggest that they have that feature on future firmware upgrades but that does not help your problem. Sounds like you need to start saving for a computer.

If itís an airplane you could try to find a reverse pitch prop.

Looks to my like you are just going to start cutting and dig out the ESC and swap the motor wires.

Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:41 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,698 Posts
Quote:

To be honest, this is one of the "frill" features. Almost no one uses it. They simply have setups where they can easily reverse two of the wires.

The only time I ever used it was on my TRex250 where I got lazy and soldered the motor wires to the ESC wires (rather than change connectors types between the ESC and motor), and of course it turned backwards. I was also too lazy to unsolder two of the wires, so I used the feature.

I say it is time to stop spitting into the wind. CC has a lot more important fish to fry than this, at least IMHO.

Obviously it sounds like you updated your ESC with some computer, why not go for it and update the Card too?
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:46 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
830 Posts

Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
830 Posts
A castle guy helped me at a fly-in with the datalogging and updated the firmware in the process with his computer. I didn't know the programming card had software too, I only found that out after I installed a different motor - I didn't check the direction because I had my handy programming card to change it!

I know it's minor, but the fact that the feature is already written means it would be a simple software change to allow it. Why have some features accessible only with the card/software? Some people like me are simpletons and don't want to have to plug everything we own into a computer to be able to do basic things! I'm just mad that I had to waste two hours to fix it, but I've gotten over it. Lesson learned: don't update the firmware on anything unless you have to!
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:01 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Quote:
A castle guy helped me at a fly-in with the datalogging and updated the firmware in the process with his computer. I didn't know the programming card had software too, I only found that out after I installed a different motor - I didn't check the direction because I had my handy programming card to change it!

I know it's minor, but the fact that the feature is already written means it would be a simple software change to allow it. Why have some features accessible only with the card/software? Some people like me are simpletons and don't want to have to plug everything we own into a computer to be able to do basic things! I'm just mad that I had to waste two hours to fix it, but I've gotten over it. Lesson learned: don't update the firmware on anything unless you have to!
The card does not have all the features of the Castle Link... Stick programming does not have all the features of the Card... The card can double for a Castle Link and the Card can be updated with a PC and the Castle Link Software... Stick programming is very limited but you can use it to get a model flying... I personally prefer the Castle Link as I have all the features and capabilities...

I don't recommend updating the firmware unless there is a specific new function or correction you need.
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone