HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:21 PM
R C NUT
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Discussion
Airbrush for a beginner

My wife wanted to know what I wanted for my B-Day and I have always wanted to have a airbrush set-up. Problem is I don't know what type or brand to get, or tell her to get. Basically I will just be working with med sized planes and a few cars. something that will put the base coat and maybe a little trim work. I can't draw real good and am not artistic so the trim work would probably be taped off to start but later I may develop some skills. Maybe!!! Any suggestions on a set to get me started?? By the way, she said to go on and pick a good one. She has been saving!!!!
J C Harrell is offline Find More Posts by J C Harrell
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:07 AM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
517 Posts
Hoping to read some replies on your subject as I am in the same boat. I was looking at the Harbor Freight set up, but the reviews on their site were 50/50. Did I quick scan through the painting section here and now have mixed feelings on whether to use the compressor that comes with the kit or to buy a separate 3+ gallon compressor.
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:25 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,403 Posts
This is the brush that I use. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDD38&P=ML

It is higher quality than some, lower than others. In my opinion, it is a good place to start.

I would never paint a model with an air brush, however, unless it was a plastic version. I believe that it is to small.

For painting models, I suggest an automotive touch up gun, or a full size HVLP gun.

I use my air brush for smaller things, like painting cockpits, trim, etc.

I also would not purchase an air brush type compressor. Larger units are available in the same price range, and they are more versatile.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:50 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
517 Posts
So an airbrush is for smaller detail work? I thought I could use it for painting the fuselage, wing and such, but apparently I was wrong. Thank you for the info.
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:26 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,403 Posts
Some do use them for painting larger areas. My opinion is that there are better options to do so.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:34 PM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyinff View Post
So an airbrush is for smaller detail work? I thought I could use it for painting the fuselage, wing and such, but apparently I was wrong . .
It depends on the specific model of airbrush. There are airbrushes for the smallest details, for airbrushing scenes on people's fingernails. There are airbrushes for temp tattooing, for 'spray tanning', and for makeup; other airbrushes are used for pastry decorating. Then there are airbrushes for car and truck art; more area than any RC needs.

Then there are airbrushes that have interchangeable tips and needles so you can change from small detail painting to large area coverage. For a start, read throughIf still in doubt, call a manufacturer and ask for some guidance. Badger is a US manufacturer where the president still talks with customers.

Keep in mind that a good compressor —along with moisture trap and regulator— is needed as well. Cheapo compressors might provide enough air, but will be noisy . . . or in other words, compressor prices rise steeply as they get quieter!
jcpatrick is online now Find More Posts by jcpatrick