SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Sep 2012
8 Posts
Discussion
The sims

Looking for a decently priced simulator that i can hook up to my new 6 ch. Spectum i just purchased. I want to learn how to fly the 4 channel planes by using this sim and my own radio. Any and all opinions would be appreciated.. thanks
gin85 is offline Find More Posts by gin85
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:51 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,775 Posts
If you're tight on cash, you can get Clearview for $40

It's not the best out there by any means but for $40 it's still a very good simulator. I've been using it for almost 2 years now and I fly on it almost every day.

Here's the link.... CLICK!

If you can spend a lot on a sim, I would recommend RealFlight for $200 or Phoenix for $130.
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,593 Posts
Free sim

Here's a free one , you'll just need to get a cable to connect your TX to your computer . http://modelsimulator.com/
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:28 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,162 Posts
The Sims? That's some kind of game isn't it. Isn't that off topic?

But just like The Sims, be careful that there are large differences between a simulator and real life, especially when you hook up a downloaded model of your chosen plane and expect to learn how to fly that specific plane. Simulators lie. They lie a lot. And if you haven't flown the plane you don't know what is true about what you learn and what is not true.

For a lot of reasons, home PC simulators are not ready to claim that kind of precision. You have a model that has been tweaked by an amateur to "that's about right" status with no connection to the real RC plane at all beyond by guess and by golly. And nobody can replicate anything that way beyond a couple of hundred 2 dimensional artists worldwide. This is 3D behavior and it is beyond human ability to replicate.

Only one thing can improve the state of computer RC simulators, and that is a minimum of hundreds of thousands of dollars. We wouldn't buy that.

As they stand now, simulators are a lot of fun. They give us the general impression of flying and are good for learning instinctive movement of the correct stick, especially when a plane is flying toward you. And they're something to do during bad weather.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:41 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
My general theory is that a sim isn't a bad thing, but spending $200 on one is probably not the best idea if you're only interested in it for training. You can get a lot of real-world gear for two hunnerd bucks, and the top-of-the-line sims don't do a whole lot better than the free or very cheap ones in terms of teaching you to fly a plane. You're still restricted to a small, two-dimensional screen. Everything tends to seem a little slower and mushier in a can't-quite-put-your-finger-on-it way.

There's a lot more you can do with a sim than just learn the basics, though. In fact, many of the world's most advanced pilots use them to hone their skills in a risk-free environment. With the higher-end ones, you can also do things like play games and participate in online multiplayer flying sessions. They DO help you transfer basic flying skills to muscle memory so that you don't have to think on your feet as much once you actually get to the field, so they're not totally useless. They just won't make you a top-notch pilot by themselves.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:58 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,783 Posts
also ask in http://www.rcgroups.com/simulators-172/
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,668 Posts
I used to use Flying Model Simulator, or FMS for short. It's free and it works with your own radio, provided you get a USB adapter for it. But do try to buy a better one if you can.

I don't have the link for FMS...you'll have to search for it.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:04 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
1,054 Posts
Clearview is pretty good for small outlay (leaving more cash for models ). Just about everything adjustable, but watch out for the wind speed ! I reckon it's about 4:1 so if you set 5mph it seems more like 20mph. That said, it's still very good since you can download 3rd party models and flying sites, the graphics are pretty good (much better than FMS) and if your TX has it, D/R & Expo work too
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:53 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWData View Post
Clearview is pretty good for small outlay (leaving more cash for models ). Just about everything adjustable, but watch out for the wind speed ! I reckon it's about 4:1 so if you set 5mph it seems more like 20mph. That said, it's still very good since you can download 3rd party models and flying sites, the graphics are pretty good (much better than FMS) and if your TX has it, D/R & Expo work too
As well as landing gear and flaps on many models. Plus they have float planes and a couple of landscapes with realistic water to fly/land.

Not too shabby for $39.95
(Especially in comparison to FMS and the "top dogs" as well.)
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:23 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,668 Posts
I finally broke down and bought Real Flight. It's expensive, but it really is an excellent flight simulator. And Tower Hobbies has a deal where you can take a few months to pay.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude