Old Dec 06, 2003, 11:49 AM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
Question
Red Tail Hawk using spoilers?

I was driving yesterday on a Georgia Highway, when a red tail hawk went cruising by. The highway was descending pretty steeply, so the hawk was actually just a little below me, about 100 yards out, heading the same direction, going about my speed. It too was descending, intending to land in the top of a pine tree. It was motoring along a bit to fast for an apparent landing, when it suddenly "flaired", curved in its wings, and slowed dramatically. Just before it "touched down" its wings were in a V shape, and just as it "lighted" I saw the tips of the V on both sides "deploy" a rectanular, "control" surface, that appeared to be on the front of the wings. I was still slight above, and directly behind, so this was a unique, at least for me, view of a bird flying to a landing. Attached is a crude drawing trying to depict what I saw, along with a URL of a photo real hawk showing what I am talking about.

This was very cool, figured folks here would be intrested.
Later
Jerry
http://www.ronausting.com/redtailp1.htm http://www.ronausting.com/redtailp1.htm
jah is offline Find More Posts by jah
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2003, 06:05 PM
St. Catharines, Canada
Joined Mar 2003
260 Posts
pretty cool...i hear they do in-flight refueling/dumping too.
nupeswv is offline Find More Posts by nupeswv