HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Jun 2008
22 Posts
Discussion
Anomalous current drain from datalogger

Hi all.

I have looked around but I could not find the answer. I have 2 dataloggers, V3 and V4.

I buyed V4 because at a certain moment I thought that V3 was damaged as it was inducing an additional consumption of mA that was falsing the readings. I am speaking about a 20 - 25 % of addtitional consumption; I was really surprised when I discovered that the behaviour of V4 is exactly the same.

I use to fly with small foamies, and I barely override the 20 A of consumption: so, I am able to measure A drain also with multimeters, and this is the reason why I am sure of what I am writing. It is not a big problem: I use the datalogger in live mode just to avoid burning controllers or motors so multimeters are sufficient to me.

But anyhow I would like to know what's the matter with my dataloggers, because, as you may understand, without the datalogger current drain all the A go through the system, and could cause me bad surprises.

Any explanation ?
paologiusy is offline Find More Posts by paologiusy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,906 Posts
Hi, the eLoggers will typically draw about 35mA, without any ET accessories connected to them.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Jun 2008
22 Posts
Hi Bill. Thanks for your reply

Actually I did not explain well myself: I connect the datalogger to the computer (and only it), than to esc and batteries. I put a multimeter between the battery and the DL. I fix the A reading in order to read the same from multimeter and from the screen.

I read letīs say 4 Ampere, both, DL and multimeter. Then I remove the DL leaving only the multimeter: the RPM and power significantly encrease and I read 5A on the multimeter.

I think is more clear now. This happens sistematically, with DL V3 and V4, whichever combination of motor - esc - battery - propeller.

It seems that the DL reduces the power of the whole system, but it does not show it.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,906 Posts
Hi, the DL should not be reducing the power in any way, aside from the tiny amount of power it uses internally. If you are seeing a power loss when inserting the DL, it is most likely one of these issues:

a) there is a weak/poor solder joint on one of the connectors somewhere. Are you using the wire leads version with your own connectors?
b) the connectors are not mating well. On the connector version of the logger, we use genuine deans connectors. I've seen posts occasionally that knockoff connectors don't always mate will with deans.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:24 AM
Joined Jun 2008
22 Posts
Hi Bill, thanks for your answer, even if I am not completely convinced.

Actually I am using various wires / connectors / extensions, my versions of DL, 3 and 4, both are with connectors

I will try some more tests verifying the connections. Iīll let you know.