Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Aug 2011
220 Posts
Discussion
HK Multiwii 328p throttle problems

So I bought this board http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...DSM2_Port.html to get started in the deep waters of Multiwii but Im running into problems with my throttle.
I've uploaded 2.1 and activated gyros and acc, everything works in the GUI while the board is connected to the USB. All stick commands on TX binds to the correct value in the gui but when Im arming the quad the motors spin up and at the slightest movement of the throttlestick the motors go to almost maximum rpm. I cant figure this one out, I've also tried the 1,9 fw.
What could be the problem here? I've tested different minThrottle settings but with little to no result.
The ESCs are calibrated since I used a KK board.
Im using these ESCs with SimonK: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_1A_UBEC.html
xardinen is offline Find More Posts by xardinen
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:13 AM
Bitten by the RC Bug....
India, Andhra Pradesh, Hyderabad
Joined Aug 2011
789 Posts
Which Tx are you using?
Is your throttle curve on the Tx very steep?
vineet_p is offline Find More Posts by vineet_p
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:17 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Sep 2012
51 Posts
I had the exact same problem, and it was on a KK board as well. I had to calibrate the ESC's To the multi wii board, everything showed fine on the PC screen, but when i throttled up, it went all wonky on my. Took me a bit, and then i realized I didn't calibrate to THAT controller.... Once I did, it flew perfectly.
And all I did was change the FC to the multiwii, thats why I couldn't figure out what the issue was. Check that if you haven't
hobiej is offline Find More Posts by hobiej
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:31 AM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,137 Posts
Maybe leave off the ACC (or at least assign it to AUX1 so you can turn it on or off). I've had great troubles with this board using the dev 1177 so I went back to 2.1 and all is well.

Also - the suggestions on the HK site for the config.h are wrong. It leaves the MAG about 90 degrees off.

Here is what I'm using now:

#define I2C_SPEED 400000L
#define ITG3200
#define HMC5883
#define BMA180
#define BMP085
#define ACC_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {accADC[ROLL] = -X; accADC[PITCH] = -Y; accADC[YAW] = Z;}
#define GYRO_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {gyroADC[ROLL] = Y; gyroADC[PITCH] = -X; gyroADC[YAW] = -Z;}
#define MAG_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {magADC[ROLL] = X; magADC[PITCH] = Y; magADC[YAW] = Z;}
#undef INTERNAL_I2C_PULLUPS
macinr is offline Find More Posts by macinr
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:16 AM
Joined Aug 2011
220 Posts
Im using the Turnigy 9x with stock FW. I solved some of the problems by setting the maxThrottle also, I somehow overlooked this part of the code. My next problem is that when I only define the gyro sensors in the code I cant read the PID settings in the GUI, this is very strange. If I define both gyro and acc then reading the PID settings from the GUI is no problem.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:58 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,934 Posts
you need to check MINCOMMAND, MINTHROTTLE and MAXCOMMAND pieces in the code. if you calib escs to 1000-2000, min command should be ~995, min throttle should be 1000, maxcommand should be 2000. you can see the throttle range by looking at the gui.
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Aug 2011
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiej View Post
I had the exact same problem, and it was on a KK board as well. I had to calibrate the ESC's To the multi wii board, everything showed fine on the PC screen, but when i throttled up, it went all wonky on my. Took me a bit, and then i realized I didn't calibrate to THAT controller.... Once I did, it flew perfectly.
And all I did was change the FC to the multiwii, thats why I couldn't figure out what the issue was. Check that if you haven't
What do you mean by calibrate to that controller? I recon the ESCs being calibrated independently and not based on which controller you are using? Or am I missing something here?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:18 AM
making crashing a lifestyle!
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
well.. some controllers do.. MWII doesn't though.
but still it could use some other end points.

i had the same problem, i re calibrated my esc's coming from a FF controller quad. (FF needs calibration through controller)
i have a dedicated mix in my TX that puts throttle on all channels (1-8) and used that to calibrate my esc's.
and behold!... they started beeping as soon as i put them on the MWII indicating throttle is not idle..
i took the easy way and used trim on my TX to get throttle idle a little lower and did calibration again. and it all works like a charm now.
the other way to tackle this problem is to change the endpoints in the MWII firmware..
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando