HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Sep 2012
32 Posts
Discussion
Fixing elevator on ailevator turning to side on a Futaba T12Z

I have a flying wing type jet (radjet from hk), that has the combined aileron and elevator. When I apply up or down elevator, it has some "aileron" in it too.

The radio I have is the Futaba T12Z, which I am pretty sure has some intelligent feature to compensate for this, other than a manual mix from elevator -> aileron. I am pretty new to this radio, so please tell me where to look for it.

I also think this has propably been discussed before, but because of my lack of knowledge of the right "terms" the searching is really hard.
varesa is offline Find More Posts by varesa
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:19 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,380 Posts
http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/12z-manual.pdf
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Sep 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
I have the manual, I just wished somebody who has done a similar thing could have hinted me on the name of the function or something.

I guess I'll have to start reading through the plane-part then...
Thanks for the help anyway
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:36 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,380 Posts
You are just trying to figure out how to mix aileron with elevator?
Most just create and elevator to aileron mix for that type of setup.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Sep 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
You are just trying to figure out how to mix aileron with elevator?
Most just create and elevator to aileron mix for that type of setup.
The tx did the elevon mix automatically after choosing the right wing/tail types. The problem I am having is the elevator "not going straight up or down". For example if I pull the plane up, it banks a bit to left.

I am wondering if there is a way on the 12Z to correct this, other than creating a mix manually.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:39 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,380 Posts
On my radio brand I would simply adjust servo travel for that channel.

Using a deflection gauge I would measure so that both are equal. Then it becomes a matter of trim the two elevator channels so there is no roll when you pull up.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:01 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,773 Posts
This first thing to do in any such situation to look at the monitor screen on the transmitter to see if the mix is doing its job properly and whether the signals to the two servos are clean and linear. Do elevator and aileron stick movements produce symmetrical output signals? If so, the next issues are with the servos and/or linkage.

Connect the two servos with a Y-cable. Are they centered? Do they respond with equal angular throws? If not, and they are digital, can you reprogram one or both?

When you've got that sorted out, measure the control surface throws and adjust the arm, horn and linkage setups to get everything equal and symmetrical.

Finally, it's time to see how the model responds in the air and introduce adjustments to correct for aerodynamic issues. But you should do this only after you have worked out the other potential problems.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Sep 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Do you know if there is an updated version of the manual? For example my system menu has a few options more than the one in the manual.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:23 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,380 Posts
I don't have a futaba radio but if you check the manufacturers website where you get downloads, there might be a pdf of added features for your radio.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Sep 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
I don't have a futaba radio but if you check the manufacturers website where you get downloads, there might be a pdf of added features for your radio.
The only thing I could find on the futaba website was the release notes for the newest update, but the only things in it affected some helicopter gyro functions and the servo test function. I guess I could try sending the futaba tech support an email asking for it.

Daedalus66: I'll take a closer look at your instructions when I get to the jet. Thanks for posting.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Sep 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
On my radio brand I would simply adjust servo travel for that channel.

Using a deflection gauge I would measure so that both are equal. Then it becomes a matter of trim the two elevator channels so there is no roll when you pull up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
This first thing to do in any such situation to look at the monitor screen on the transmitter to see if the mix is doing its job properly and whether the signals to the two servos are clean and linear. Do elevator and aileron stick movements produce symmetrical output signals? If so, the next issues are with the servos and/or linkage.

Connect the two servos with a Y-cable. Are they centered? Do they respond with equal angular throws? If not, and they are digital, can you reprogram one or both?

When you've got that sorted out, measure the control surface throws and adjust the arm, horn and linkage setups to get everything equal and symmetrical.

Finally, it's time to see how the model responds in the air and introduce adjustments to correct for aerodynamic issues. But you should do this only after you have worked out the other potential problems.
After all it seemed to be caused by the other servo moving more than the other. I didn't have an Y-harness, and I wanted to go flying, so I just adjusted travel for the other channel and trimmed the plane again.

Then I did a full-speed "landing" (not intentional). It ripped of one of the wings, and snapped off the motor's shaft. I did not find the prop + adapter either. Just as I got the plane trimmed...

At least there is a good reason to go for a bigger/faster motor + prop
Just if the HK orderds wouldn't take a few months to arrive...