HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Apr 2012
413 Posts
Question
How long have you gone without breaking anything?

After receiving a new motor to replace one damaged when another arm broke, I went out to fly today and made it through 5 battery packs with no issues. That got me thinking – As I was tweaking my Quadrino and learning to fly, I got to counting how many packs I could go through without breaking any parts. My longest stretch is 16, so how about the rest of you? This isn’t a contest, just curiosity on my part.
CraigVMN is offline Find More Posts by CraigVMN
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Apr 2012
413 Posts
Really...noone but me do this?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:03 AM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Aug 2012
203 Posts
22 minutes
Mrhide is offline Find More Posts by Mrhide
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:15 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
went through 50-60 packs without even breaking a prop, then destroyed my quad (motors/arms/props/gopro mount/landing gear) 3 times in 5 packs recently
jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:37 AM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
1 year and a half! lol thats because I havent been flying much. I'm way more of a builder/modder when it comes to MC's but hopefully that will change once its finally done. Also MC's are pretty easy to fly so providing you dont do anything stupid or you dont fall victim to any flook glitch with the firmware you should not be crashing that much!
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Apr 2012
413 Posts
I should have known I was jinxing myself starting this thread – 3 broken arms & a broken motor today. Completely lost orientation in the wind, and BOOM!
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:27 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Weeks, sometimes months. I broke a prop today, my hexa is on the floor and the props are quite stiff. Managed to step on one. SNAP, broke off right at the motor. Meh, who cares, I have more.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:49 PM
Quad Smasher
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2012
220 Posts
I have different multirotors for different things. My primary AP quad has well over 500 flights without an incident. I haven't changed anything on it during that time just inspect and tighten as needed.

The others that I use for learning and playing don't always last so long.
DavidPDX is offline Find More Posts by DavidPDX
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Oct 2012
60 Posts
well, as a newbie, i have now flewn 6 packs without crashing! the first 5 did cost me 5 props though:P
metap0Pe is offline Find More Posts by metap0Pe
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:42 AM
not insane; Mom had me tested
Marietta Ga.
Joined Apr 2005
818 Posts
if you see my videos you know i feel like i fail if i dont break somthing
hallstudio is offline Find More Posts by hallstudio
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:00 PM
United States, PA, Norristown
Joined May 2012
631 Posts
Most of the damage done to my quads are during test flights after mods, I'm very tough on my rigs before I fly them fpv because I want to know that they wont fail.

With that said, I have over 100(200 packs?) hours my main fpv quad with no damage or signs of wear.
Jengaleng is offline Find More Posts by Jengaleng
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:17 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,539 Posts
Hey, can you guys start recording some of this? I'd like actual statistical data if that's possible. I'm just now getting into multi-rotor with the intention of carrying cameras for commercial work. My goal is to find the setup that is the best compromise of lift capacity per dollar, ease of flying, ease of setup, ease of maintenance, and longevity. If y'all are actually keeping track of how many flight hours you get per arm, motor, prop, and whatever then you really know if your setup is reliable and serviceable or not.

For instance, on my fixed wing Longhorns I keep a track of five minute flights with hash marks. Each mark represents one contiguous five minute flight, not interrupted by a damage-inducing crash (other than prop replacement), and all on one battery. Flights of less than five minutes (smaller batteries) are not recorded. Flights terminated by a crash are not recorded. #4 has 171 such marks; #7 has 42; #5 has 32. All the others are sold off, in the hands of FBs, or retired from service.

The thing is, I did not record how many times each plane was repaired, when servos were replaced, when motors were swapped out, etc. I think such info would have been useful for somebody looking at building a Longhorn, but it's a lot less of an investment to build a simple fixed wing foamy than it is to put three or four hundred bucks and many hours into a quad. Is there another repository of such reliability data on this board?
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:21 PM
not insane; Mom had me tested
Marietta Ga.
Joined Apr 2005
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallstudio View Post
if you see my videos you know i feel like i fail if i dont break somthing
this is kind of what i mean.
How I Break The Cheap Easy Tricopter (5 min 43 sec)
hallstudio is offline Find More Posts by hallstudio
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:35 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,210 Posts
last crashed when the stinkin hobbyking carona RX stopped working, other than that not for a longgggggggggggg time
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:36 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,539 Posts
HK only sells the Corona stuff, they don't make it. Now, OrangeRX is a different matter, and one that I can gladly attest to as being on the high side. I've currently got R610s in about 25 of my airplanes and I have never had a radio problem that wasn't directly traced to something stupid I did. Can't say the same about the Spektrum receivers I've used. Oh, well.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek