HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:09 PM
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
SC Winter and the mud hole.

Temps in the 70's today and little to no wind. Good day to have spare batteries.

I've amended my Sharpie job on the HK model. Also replaced the dead stock elevator servo. Disassembly shows bad solder/stripping job inside the stock HK unit. I used a wing servo from my orphaned PZ parts bin.

The lake scum takes a good bit of work to remove. I tried to boat it off. No luck.

Still a fun little plane.
Renfield is offline Find More Posts by Renfield
Last edited by Renfield; Oct 19, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:55 PM
Fly Freely, Fly Responsibly
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
This is the thread for me, Ren!

This way I don't "spam" the main A5 forum...

I'll have my PKZ5880 real soon. I can buy it any time I like, I just want my CC billing cycles to "mesh" so I'll pull the handle near week's end, most likely.
I've got the part number for the BNF memorized - sure sign of addiction - so you know I'm a 'goner!' I could use an extra AR600 Rx that comes with this particular combo, and will resist the urge to swap the Power 10 and 40A ESC from my PZ T-28 in there. It seems like it's quite adequate with the 960kV 480 provided the prop is installed with the numbers in front. Lol!
LOVE that T-28, which is why I'm confident in the A5's (similar) performance.
And.....WATER too!!!

This plane will be my go-to everything plane, from all I've learned so far - and the way I like to fly.

We have some 'nappy' water here in DFW area too, but not so muddy.
Maybe a little paint in your case? I love this Z-foam! Easy to paint, CA, gorilla-glue, etc.

All I can think about is getting the A5!!!
I'm in uncharted terrain, here, with this hobby (been in it for about 3 years now).

CAVU, my friend, and keep the noisy bits in the back and right-side up!

If you come up with a de-stain solution (cleaning or painting) I'd like to hear about it.
WhirlyBits is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyBits
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:59 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhirlyBits View Post
This is the thread for me, Ren!

This way I don't "spam" the main A5 forum...

I'll have my PKZ5880 real soon. I can buy it any time I like, I just want my CC billing cycles to "mesh" so I'll pull the handle near week's end, most likely.
I've got the part number for the BNF memorized - sure sign of addiction - so you know I'm a 'goner!' I could use an extra AR600 Rx that comes with this particular combo, and will resist the urge to swap the Power 10 and 40A ESC from my PZ T-28 in there. It seems like it's quite adequate with the 960kV 480 provided the prop is installed with the numbers in front. Lol!
LOVE that T-28, which is why I'm confident in the A5's (similar) performance.
And.....WATER too!!!

This plane will be my go-to everything plane, from all I've learned so far - and the way I like to fly.

We have some 'nappy' water here in DFW area too, but not so muddy.
Maybe a little paint in your case? I love this Z-foam! Easy to paint, CA, gorilla-glue, etc.

All I can think about is getting the A5!!!
I'm in uncharted terrain, here, with this hobby (been in it for about 3 years now).

CAVU, my friend, and keep the noisy bits in the back and right-side up!

If you come up with a de-stain solution (cleaning or painting) I'd like to hear about it.
Welcome to the Betty Ford Center for the Icon A5 afflicted! I'm still trying to read through the main PZ Icon post. Much good info there.

When it comes to amphibian aircraft, the Icon stands head and shoulders above the competition. Just like that line from the old James Bond film/song, "Nobody does it better. Makes me feel sad for the rest."

Lake muck comes off the foam with a spritz of Fantastic or 409. Not as fun as flying, but it's a bonding experience.

You're in for a treat, my friend. Keep us posted!!

P.S. A spare room is helpful.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:15 PM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
It's practically a hurricane outside today. Plenty of sunshine and water, but the trees are dancing. Aaarrrggghhh!!! That's what I get for bragging on the weather. Sheet. I wouldn't fly the full-sized Icon in this miserable stuff.

But I'll cherish thoughts of Monday-Tuesday.

So that's what the video is for.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 05:21 PM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Done.

As much fun as it is, I'm increasingly dissatisfied with the HK Icon. It's nothing like the ParkZone version. It was cool at first. Even at second. But the terrible hull design and the shoddy electronics are "urinating from afar" me off.

I'm done peeling stickers and waterproofing a "seaplane".

As for the 71 inch version (1800mm to the rest of the world), it's basically the same design. And it's a ghost ship with no ship date.

So Horizon has my undivided attention. I'd never find a place to take off from land and water anyway. And the 1800 NFD model has shoddy nose gear to boot.

So it goes.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 09:40 PM
Gone Flying
United States, IN, Covington
Joined Dec 2012
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfield View Post
As much fun as it is, I'm increasingly dissatisfied with the HK Icon. It's nothing like the ParkZone version. It was cool at first. Even at second. But the terrible hull design and the shoddy electronics are "urinating from afar" me off.

I'm done peeling stickers and waterproofing a "seaplane".

As for the 71 inch version (1800mm to the rest of the world), it's basically the same design. And it's a ghost ship with no ship date.

So Horizon has my undivided attention. I'd never find a place to take off from land and water anyway. And the 1800 NFD model has shoddy nose gear to boot.

So it goes.
Sorry to hear your trials with the HobbyKing. It makes me glad I bought the Parkzone ICON A5. I was looking at the HobbyKing and the larger 1800 but decided on the Parkzone version. I guess I liked the fact that Parkzone was licensed to model theirs after the real ICON so I figured they would work hard to get it right.

I am glad you like your Parkzone ICON as well. I have read your trials and successes on this thread and the Parkzone ICON thread.

I can say that as a newer pilot I am thrilled with my ICON. I fell asleep at night dreaming of what it would be like to fly it if or when I got one. At my age you seem to have fewer things you are truly excited about. This was one of them. The Parkzone ICON has not disappointed me. It has been as much fun to fly as I imagined. I have had several fights, all successful but all from the gear. I now have access to water that should work but the promise of a different location, closer to home, just popped up and I hope to have permission to fly there this week. If so my water maiden is just days away.

Keep the ICON love going!

TechJunkieRC
TechJunkieRC is offline Find More Posts by TechJunkieRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2013, 07:32 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJunkieRC View Post
Sorry to hear your trials with the HobbyKing. It makes me glad I bought the Parkzone ICON A5. I was looking at the HobbyKing and the larger 1800 but decided on the Parkzone version. I guess I liked the fact that Parkzone was licensed to model theirs after the real ICON so I figured they would work hard to get it right.

I am glad you like your Parkzone ICON as well. I have read your trials and successes on this thread and the Parkzone ICON thread.

I can say that as a newer pilot I am thrilled with my ICON. I fell asleep at night dreaming of what it would be like to fly it if or when I got one. At my age you seem to have fewer things you are truly excited about. This was one of them. The Parkzone ICON has not disappointed me. It has been as much fun to fly as I imagined. I have had several fights, all successful but all from the gear. I now have access to water that should work but the promise of a different location, closer to home, just popped up and I hope to have permission to fly there this week. If so my water maiden is just days away.

Keep the ICON love going!

TechJunkieRC
Great news on your better water access!

Oh I'm still head over heels for the Icon. As you say, at my age there aren't too many things I daydream about anymore. Perhaps that's why I'm currently down on the HK version.

I've been following Shige's build - having to redesign the hull and sponsons from scratch, etc. Then it still flies like dreck compared to the PZ. Of course he's built three HK's for not much more than one PZ. It's a clear case of you get what you pay for.

When flying wingman, the PZ is too fast for our boat. I have to do lazy turns out front while we play catch-up in the boat. So I was keen on using the HK for that task as it handles well at slower speeds. It's also fast enough that the boat won't outrun the plane, as it does with the Super Cub.

But Paul's flaps on the PZ Icon would cure that itch, and I would have a SCALE Icon that handles great in the water. Gotta get off my lazy butt and cut some flaps!

The more I fly both planes back to back, as I've been doing from the dock all week, the more I appreciate the brilliantly executed Park Zone Icon.

We launched the boat yesterday for the season. Unless the winds keep me grounded, I can't imagine adding flaps anytime soon.

I need to move to Canada so I can have some forced build time!

Loving the PZ Icon!!!

-George
Old Apr 03, 2013, 08:38 PM
Gone Flying
United States, IN, Covington
Joined Dec 2012
790 Posts
Quote:
Great news on your better water access!

Oh I'm still head over heels for the Icon. As you say, at my age there aren't too many things I daydream about anymore. Perhaps that's why I'm currently down on the HK version.

I've been following Shige's build - having to redesign the hull and sponsons from scratch, etc. Then it still flies like dreck compared to the PZ. Of course he's built three HK's for not much more than one PZ. It's a clear case of you get what you pay for.

When flying wingman, the PZ is too fast for our boat. I have to do lazy turns out front while we play catch-up in the boat. So I was keen on using the HK for that task as it handles well at slower speeds. It's also fast enough that the boat won't outrun the plane, as it does with the Super Cub.

But Paul's flaps on the PZ Icon would cure that itch, and I would have a SCALE Icon that handles great in the water. Gotta get off my lazy butt and cut some flaps!

The more I fly both planes back to back, as I've been doing from the dock all week, the more I appreciate the brilliantly executed Park Zone Icon.

We launched the boat yesterday for the season. Unless the winds keep me grounded, I can't imagine adding flaps anytime soon.

I need to move to Canada so I can have some forced build time!

Loving the PZ Icon!!!

-George
Yea, I am figuring Paul cost me more money with the whole flap idea. His YouTube videos sell this mod if nothing else. I am considering buying another set of wings to install flaps and lights into. I figure this way I can fly and tinker at the same time.

Today my boss and his wife offered my family their lake cottage for a week in June. I can't wait to sit on the dock and fly my ICON. The charger will be pulling extra duty that week!

If you do install flaps please provide pictures. I also saw you had installed lights on your wings. Did you cut them in or just tape the wires on? I am considering my installation options. I want the green and red lights on the wing tips but want the wires hidden. I intend to run the wires with the servo wires and then cut them in to the tips. I need to do this so I can remove and re-install what I cut out. I am hoping for a quality looking outcome if I can do it right.

I am also thinking about cutting hinges for flaps like the ailerons. I watched a video the other night of a guy showing how he does it. It looked great and if I tape the hinge area it should hold up well I believe. That or I have considered using plastic hinges. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

BTW: as I was reading the post I had to laugh a little. I was thinking "how would that conversation go with my wife? Honey my plane is faster than my boat, I need a new boat!".

Ok just thought about it again. I know what she would say and it isn't funny!
Let's just say I would have a slower plane!
TechJunkieRC is offline Find More Posts by TechJunkieRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2013, 07:15 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJunkieRC View Post
Yea, I am figuring Paul cost me more money with the whole flap idea. His YouTube videos sell this mod if nothing else. I am considering buying another set of wings to install flaps and lights into. I figure this way I can fly and tinker at the same time.

Today my boss and his wife offered my family their lake cottage for a week in June. I can't wait to sit on the dock and fly my ICON. The charger will be pulling extra duty that week!

If you do install flaps please provide pictures. I also saw you had installed lights on your wings. Did you cut them in or just tape the wires on? I am considering my installation options. I want the green and red lights on the wing tips but want the wires hidden. I intend to run the wires with the servo wires and then cut them in to the tips. I need to do this so I can remove and re-install what I cut out. I am hoping for a quality looking outcome if I can do it right.

I am also thinking about cutting hinges for flaps like the ailerons. I watched a video the other night of a guy showing how he does it. It looked great and if I tape the hinge area it should hold up well I believe. That or I have considered using plastic hinges. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

BTW: as I was reading the post I had to laugh a little. I was thinking "how would that conversation go with my wife? Honey my plane is faster than my boat, I need a new boat!".

Ok just thought about it again. I know what she would say and it isn't funny!
Let's just say I would have a slower plane!
LOL. Thus my search for a slower plane.

Hey congrats on the lake cabin deal!!! Nothing spoils you like a short walk to the dock to fly.

I'm not the guy to watch for a careful build. But I'll happily post pix. The wingtip lights you saw were on my first PZ Icon, which I've since retired. I didn't bother hiding anything because those wings had already been bashed many times. Even still, having the nav. lights and the headlights gave the Icon a whole different personality.

As for the cut, I haven't settled on that detail just yet. Since flaps only deploy downward, it seems logical to only cut the underside wedge, just like the ailerons. But I'm not sure how the cut might affect airflow. Probably can't go wrong just following PaulRC's lead. He did a beautiful job on his flaps.

My flap servos are in hand. If this wind keeps up, I might get out the xacto. We'll see...
Old Apr 05, 2013, 08:39 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,511 Posts
Still enjoying my box stock small Icon. Sorry you are having issues with the stock electronics, but I am at about 70 flights (half off water) with no issues on mine. Not shipping any water to speak of.

Given that our water runway does not scale to match our model size, smaller versions of seaplane models can always be a little problematic. Hulls don't scale well and need to be optimized for the model size. I think the little Icon does ok in the water, especially considering it's very small size.

That is on of the reasons the large Icon does do well...not suffering from scale effects as much.

Some of us enjoy improving and tweaking and optimizing models as part of the fun of the hobby. Sometimes I go there and sometimes I just enjoy a model box stock and ignore the small warts on it...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Apr 05, 2013, 11:35 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Still enjoying my box stock small Icon. Sorry you are having issues with the stock electronics, but I am at about 70 flights (half off water) with no issues on mine. Not shipping any water to speak of.

Given that our water runway does not scale to match our model size, smaller versions of seaplane models can always be a little problematic. Hulls don't scale well and need to be optimized for the model size. I think the little Icon does ok in the water, especially considering it's very small size.

That is on of the reasons the large Icon does do well...not suffering from scale effects as much.

Some of us enjoy improving and tweaking and optimizing models as part of the fun of the hobby. Sometimes I go there and sometimes I just enjoy a model box stock and ignore the small warts on it...
Hi Thomas. My second HK Icon is running on stock electronics. No problem there. THIS time.
But all the wooden structure is uncoated. So it gets soaked and rots. It should be sealed before the fuse is assembled.
If you check my posts there's a side by side with the PZ Icon that clearly shows the HK Icon is no where near stock design. Neither is Shige's, though it might be a better guess.
Even with a bigger version, a bad hull design is still a bad hull design. The PZ Icon is fantastic on water, and it's only a 53" span. Between the water cannons and the spin out tendency, the little HK pales by comparison.
The large NFD Icon might be excellent, but it is not available so who cares?
Park Zone did it right. They're available, they require no water prep, spare parts are everywhere, and unless you're into wild aerobatics it simply flies AND boats better IMHO.
Some people would rather fly than fiddle. If I had wanted a kit, I wouldn't have bought PNP.
I'm glad you're still enjoying yours. I will fly mine and use it for what it is. But I wish I had bought another PZ instead of my two HKs. Big time.
Cheers,
George
Old Apr 05, 2013, 02:03 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,993 Posts
Once it's on-step, my small Icon boats perfectly, no hint of trying to spin out or anything like that. I figured the best way to get it on step is to give full up elevator and some right rudder, then smoothly but quickly increase the throttle. Gives a little water cannon and then jumps up on step, no problems after that. Sometimes I get some small drops of water in the hull, but nothing to be concerned about, and I can't find any fault with its slow speed handling. (I did smooth the leading edges and tape over the servo wire cutouts and flap cutouts to ensure the underside of the wing was smooth.) I find I have to really try to get it to stall. Goose the throttle and it is reasonably aerobatic as well.
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Apr 05, 2013, 02:43 PM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
822 Posts
Bygones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
Once it's on-step, my small Icon boats perfectly, no hint of trying to spin out or anything like that. I figured the best way to get it on step is to give full up elevator and some right rudder, then smoothly but quickly increase the throttle. Gives a little water cannon and then jumps up on step, no problems after that. Sometimes I get some small drops of water in the hull, but nothing to be concerned about, and I can't find any fault with its slow speed handling. (I did smooth the leading edges and tape over the servo wire cutouts and flap cutouts to ensure the underside of the wing was smooth.) I find I have to really try to get it to stall. Goose the throttle and it is reasonably aerobatic as well.
Hey, Firehawk. I wasn't trying to disparage your fun. And it IS a very fun plane. Still miles ahead of any waterplane I've seen. I just really prefer the advantages of the PZ, dollar for dollar.

You're right about horsing it up on step. It can, and must, be done. Every time. My method is to turn into the sunken sponson and do a quick 180 while adding throttle. Once on step, sure it works. But side-by-side, pack after pack, I really appreciate the solid, graceful and flipping amazing-in-the-water-even-without-a-keel PZ Icon.

My biggest thrill with the HK is that it's cheaper and it does aerobatics all day long like crazy. Stuff I know, stuff I make up, whatever. I've never done so much inverted flight. It'll likely stunt until the wing separates where the rotten balsa ply holds it in place. Or I pull out at the wrong spot and hit another tree

To each his own of course! And when they're whizzing by, you don't so much see any differences. Still a very cool Icon A5 - more or less. And in the end, I don't think it gets any better than that for an Icon addict.

But my next will come in a box from Horizon.
Old Apr 05, 2013, 03:32 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,993 Posts
Quote:
Hey, Firehawk. I wasn't trying to disparage your fun. And it IS a very fun plane. Still miles ahead of any waterplane I've seen. I just really prefer the advantages of the PZ, dollar for dollar.

You're right about horsing it up on step. It can, and must, be done. Every time. My method is to turn into the sunken sponson and do a quick 180 while adding throttle. Once on step, sure it works. But side-by-side, pack after pack, I really appreciate the solid, graceful and flipping amazing-in-the-water-even-without-a-keel PZ Icon.

My biggest thrill with the HK is that it's cheaper and it does aerobatics all day long like crazy. Stuff I know, stuff I make up, whatever. I've never done so much inverted flight. It'll likely stunt until the wing separates where the rotten balsa ply holds it in place. Or I pull out at the wrong spot and hit another tree

To each his own of course! And when they're whizzing by, you don't so much see any differences. Still a very cool Icon A5 - more or less. And in the end, I don't think it gets any better than that for an Icon addict.

But my next will come in a box from Horizon.
Yes, it does seem like PZ got the hull design nailed, except for a bit of protective plastic on the bottom. I may still try to duplicate Shige's approach to fixing the small Icon float setup.

And you're right, they're both still awesome planes either way! Now if only I could get a full size Icon!
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Apr 05, 2013, 04:35 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,511 Posts
Have never had or seen any "spin out" on water takeoff on the little Icon. Describe when it happens and what happens when you get a chance.

Still think the little guy is fun for the money.

The PZ does have the advantage of being an officially licensed product and that does make it easier to be more accurate when you are getting factory drawings vs faking it up from a few pictures and simplistic three views as the manufacturers in China undoubtedly did.

Not having a plywood rotting problem I do leave my hatch off after water flying until the interior is bone dry. If it ever becomes an issue, it would only take a little bit of effort to pull it and mount the servos, RX and batt another way.

I would rather have four different Icons to play with than just one, even given their individual issues on the non PZ versions. I will say the Guanli one is so bad I would not consider it at all, so make that three Icons....

I scored a spare large Icon from a flying buddy that decided not to build his, do the shortage of large ones does not affect me for a good while....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel