HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:58 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
The LIFE is actually 6.6 volts -but a reg dropping from 7 volts to 5.5 or 6 is a very lightly loaded reg - I use my ALIGN reg for this -
It is when the BEC try to drop from much higher volts to 6 volts that they can get into possible trouble
This is only true of linear BECs, right? I don't think anyone uses those as a separate unit - you typically find them built in to speed controllers.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:04 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,343 Posts
Switchers have input voltage limits too, and they can get hot at both ends of the input range.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:13 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
This is only true of linear BECs, right? I don't think anyone uses those as a separate unit - you typically find them built in to speed controllers.
Some heli gyro setups like linear - cleaner -
They also were sold for years with the LiIon setups -
I never would use em -
just call me a chicken---
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:34 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Switch to mind control. You'll have no more issues unless someone tampers with your morning coffee.
There's a plane hanging in the AMA museum that's said to be sound-controlled.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:36 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,661 Posts
Hummm sorry to burst your bubble but I saw that actual model when it was in the AMA HQ in Reston, I'm sure those are speakers (one each side) to make an aerial loud-hailer via radio mic.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:05 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne View Post
Hummm sorry to burst your bubble but I saw that actual model when it was in the AMA HQ in Reston, I'm sure those are speakers (one each side) to make an aerial loud-hailer via radio mic.

A.
Probably true but look up reed radios... we used to control planes by sending sound waves over the radio to it.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:15 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,661 Posts
Yes I remember reeds, you could actually hear the receiver working.

A.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:17 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Probably true but look up reed radios... we used to control planes by sending sound waves over the radio to it.
still do really plug a head set in the trainer jack of any JR/Spekturm radio
Elios000 is online now Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:39 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
All RC planes are sound-controlled- call over your shoulder "Hey y'all watch this!" and watch it make a nice crater...
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:07 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,913 Posts
Sonic Glider

This glider was actually one of Jim Walker creation in 1944:
http://www.americanjuniorclassics.co...onicglider.htm
And it was controlled by sound, Jim Walker was very inventive and had a major part in the development of c/l flying at the time. That's why it is at the AMA museum.
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:56 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,487 Posts
Quote:
Hummm sorry to burst your bubble...
Apparently my bubble is intact.

Edit: Thanks to coriolan for the link. Ever since I took that picture while I was at the World Soaring Masters I've been wondering how that thing worked.
Last edited by Miami Mike; Nov 07, 2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:54 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
The LIFE is actually 6.6 volts -but a reg dropping from 7 volts to 5.5 or 6 is a very lightly loaded reg - I use my ALIGN reg for this -
It is when the BEC try to drop from much higher volts to 6 volts that they can get into possible trouble
Quote:
Yes and no. Switching regulators still have to drop some power as heat, but because of the way they work it's a lot less (15% vs up to 50%+ with a linear). As a result increasing the input voltage still increases the amount of heat to be dissipated, but by a lesser amount. If you want more info this page explains it comprehensively...
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:29 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,661 Posts
You learn something everyday. There was no explanation when the glider was on display at Reston and the "diaphragms" looked just like loudspeakers not microphones, it seemed like the obvious assumption they were for making sound nor receiving it.

A.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:00 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,487 Posts
Quote:
You learn something everyday. There was no explanation when the glider was on display at Reston and the "diaphragms" looked just like loudspeakers not microphones, it seemed like the obvious assumption they were for making sound nor receiving it.

A.
There isn't much of an explanation at the AMA museum either. All I saw was a little tag that said it was controlled by sound. You're right that the diaphragms look like speakers, and in fact they are speakers, but speakers can function as microphones. Instead of an electrical current moving the cone, the moving cone induces an electrical current.

By the way, your idea of installing a speaker in a model so that you can broadcast sound through it is interesting. I'll bet you could cause a lot of trouble with something like that.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:41 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,661 Posts
I have in fact used a speaker as a microphone but they are very inefficient in that mode.

A.