HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:44 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,789 Posts
Discussion
RS-Ten and Viper Marine 10 questions-problems

I have both of these that I am installing in my Marlin. Before I cut off the power ends on these to connect them into the boat I am bench testing them. The radio combination works fine with servos.

On the ESC, I press the setup button and move the transmitter sticks to set the forward and reverse endpoints. My problem is when I move the stick forward to operate the motor, the drive motor is jumping around like its getting interference. I do have the capacitors on the motor. Reverse seems to work OK.

And for the RS-Ten, when power is turned on, the LED and motor go on. But when I move the stick either way, the motor does not operate.

Any ideas???? I did send an email of to Mike at Mikes Subworks, were I bought them.
ken_nj is online now Find More Posts by ken_nj
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:01 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,789 Posts
I swapped the motors. So now the drive motor is on the RS-Ten and the ballast motor is on the ESC. The problem stays with the RS-Ten and ESC. So maybe they are bad?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:28 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
882 Posts
I experienced interference issues when using another esc in combination with an Mtroniks ESC. I have an Mtroniks sub 8 esc, and I tried fitting another make of ESC to control the onboard ballast tank pump, this replaced a relay switcher. I suffered from glitching and intermittent failsafe triggering. I tried many things to try and narrow down the cause, eventually I exchanged the Mtroniks ESC for another make, and the problem disappeared. Therefore I concluded there was some kind of clash between the devices, and this may be what you're experiencing too.
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:10 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,789 Posts
I removed the RS-Ten from the setup so now I am testing only the ESC. The ESC works fine, forward and reverse.

If I test the RS-Ten by itself, and use the Futaba battery for the receiver, the RS-Ten still does not work.

Maybe there is a problem with the RS-Ten that causes some kind of interference with the ESC.

I'll have to wait and here back from Mike and see what he thinks.
Last edited by ken_nj; Oct 27, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:24 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
882 Posts
That sounds like a duff unit to me.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:35 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,789 Posts
Since the last post I changed nothing, powered everything up, the motor ran. The stick is spring loaded so when the stick was centered the motor came on. I moved the stick to the left, at the half way point, the motor stopped. When the stick was full left, the motor went in the other direction. Nothing happens when the stick is full right.

So now the RS-Ten is working with the stick only to the left. Sounds like something is messed up with it. I might try it again and get different results. I think it defective as well.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:43 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
882 Posts
One thing I'm wondering about- some of the older futaba sets didn't conform to the standard 1.5ms centre point, they used 1.3ms. Your set is pretty old, so perhaps this could be causing problems if the unit isn't designed to work with that.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:56 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,789 Posts
Very well could be. This radio is a 75Mhz AM radio. Not sure what the pulse would be though.

That does not explain the two different results I was getting. Unless the pulse is just making it to inconsistent.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:06 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
882 Posts
The frequency modulation has little to do with it. It's the way the encoder board is configured. Usually you can adjust the centre point, but it involves opening up the case and having a tinker in the back.

I'm not sure what date/year Futaba crossed over and adhered to the 1.5ms standard. The old style plugs were a bit of a red flag that this may be an issue.

Course it could be something else entirely- difficult to nail these things down by correspondence.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:22 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,789 Posts
Ah, ok. I know just enough about electronics like that to get myself in trouble. Maybe with the old & new mix I may have to come up with another method. I'll test it some more and wait to hear from Mike.

Since it would use one full channel, it should be easy enough to fashion something as a reversing switch.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:40 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
882 Posts
Okay. I take it you don't have another radio set of newer vintage you could test this theory with? Failing that a servo tester is a worthwhile gadget.

If it turns out your radio is to the earlier standard, I would think the unit uses a microcontroller inside to decode the signal and operate the transistors. This chip maybe flashable, so the device could possibly be reconfigured to operate with the older equipment.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:53 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,789 Posts
I do have newer radio's I can try. All pre-2.4 GHz.

The radio I want to use is a Futaba FP-T4L 75MHz with an FP-R4F receiver. This is wide band and uses the older G series style plug.

A newer, I think newer, is Futaba FP-4NBL (also AM) with an FP-R114H receiver. Only this one is 72MHz and has the Narrow band sticker on the back.

At least the 72MHz radio has the same connector as the ESC and RS-Ten. Once the batteries charge I'll see what happens.
Last edited by ken_nj; Oct 27, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:57 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,789 Posts
Bad news for me. The RS-Ten and ESC work fine together on the 72MHz radio. This radio was given to me basically new and unused. I was thinking of having it converted to 75MHz anyway. I think RadioSouthRC charges $50 for conversions. What do you think Sub Culture? Or anyone else?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:07 AM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
882 Posts
I would be cautious investing $50 in an old AM set. AM is much more prone to interference than FM, plus you can't benefit from many of the advances made in receiver technology made in the past few years.

There is a Polk Hobbies set for sale over on the Sub Com board at the moment- http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpB...hp?f=8&t=11225

This is a well regarded set over in the States, but I believe is now out of production. I can't speak from personal experience as that set was never available here in the UK. It looks like something that was built in the early 80's, with that retro case, but inside is a fully synthesized transmitter, so it's quite an advanced bit of kit. No crystals to worry about. I believe the radio was designed by ex-Hitec engineers.

Mike Caswell distributes the Wfly range of transmitters, and also sells the Sombra labs receivers if you would like to purchase a new rig. Some modellers have 72 mhz radios converted. Multiplex is a really good range of kit, as is Futaba. These last two options are likely to cost more than the first two however.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Mar 2005
245 Posts
Ken - I keep telling you to call whenever you have a problem.

The problem here is, as Subculture already pointed out, early Futabas used 1.31 ms as neutral whereas everybody else uses 1.5 ms. It's a relatively simple fix. Send me the tx and I'll fix it for you. There's no sense buying another radio just to get over this hump.

Skip Asay
Skip Asay is offline Find More Posts by Skip Asay