Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by SkyCadet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:22 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Discussion
Update on ORX 3AS system in Decathlon

HI all!

I was able to fly a couple of times yesterday and today in slightly higher wind.

Wind yesterday was ~10km/h today 20-22km/h. During the first flight, I noticed VERY smooth control responses, and the plane flew well, esp. on TD where flares could be held really nicely.

However, the aeorbatic performance of the plane suffered a bit, esp. on snap rolls. They widened out to the point where they were no long snap rolls, more like a "half-barrel" roll. Loops were fine, but slightly wider than without the 3AS in there. I dropped the gains down slightly, about 1/2 of what they were.

Today, I could do snap rolls (slower than nominal but still about 75% of full rate) and they weren't bad. Loops fine. The wind definitely affected the plane still, esp. on pitching. So, I tweaked the elevator channel and gave it a touch more rudder. Approaches still had some rolling behavior this morning although MUCH dampened.

I think I'll have to relegate myself on THIS unit to the fact that if I want full stability, sport aerobatics are not fully possible, unless I tune the gains down significantly. Sort of makes sense, but at the same time, the AS3X system in my Beast micro 3D seems to handle aerobatics and stability VERY well. Maybe a more expensive rate gyro system might be better suited to this application. I rarely do aerobatics with skis on during winter months, so I am not too worried. Maybe a touch more playing will find that true sweet spot.

So far, I am reasonably impressed with the unit, except for the VERY non-linear potentiometer trim behavior. Gains go up a LOT after 1-o'clock...

SC
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Oct 28, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts