HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:45 PM
Bulgaria, Sofia-grad, Sofia
Joined Feb 2012
1,282 Posts
So, here is a compilation of a couple test flights with the new wing span (from 30cm to 43cm). There was quite a bit of wind, but the plane behaved amazingly well. It was quite stable up wind, down wind and sideways. I hope the weather will be calm tomorrow so that I can trim it right and enjoy it.

Scratch build 35mm EDF jet flight test (after wing expansion) (6 min 1 sec)
Arxangel is online now Find More Posts by Arxangel
Last edited by Arxangel; Nov 23, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,282 Posts
Well, lets say that the plane didn't make to a calm day. This week the new servos arrived so I decided to rebuild the jet and fix some issues. I really hope this v2.0 will be better. We will know tomorrow after I try to fly it.

I am adding some pictures now, and will add the video later, if the plane flies.

This is an Orange 6ch DSM2 Rx. I've removed the housing. It will be held within the wing to eliminate any air resistance that it could create otherwise.

The new servos are much more powerful and accurate than the original ones. The EDF unit is mounted further back than in the previous version and there is less space at the front and the back of the unit.

The ESC is also within the wing in order to avoid addition wind resistance.

This is how I will be mounting the batteries, so I wouldn't have to tape them down on every flight. The velcro strap goes under the carbon rod and wraps around the battery.

The nose turned out good and solid, I hope it will be able to handle some nose first crashes (but I hope there will be none). The 15mm fiber tape is a good size for 6mm depron since it goes from side to side without being too much and adding to the weight.

The ESC is now fixed in place with some fiber tape, a small opening is left for cooling.

On the other side, the Rx is also fixed with fiber tape. The new servos had really short wires, so I had to make an extension for the right servo.

The battery mounted with velcro, which has been cut to size.

I expected it would be heavier than the previous version, but was really surprised when it turned out that it weights only 100 grams (6 grams less than the previous one). The difference comes from the battery - the Zippy 2s 500mah is 3 grams lighter than the Turnigy 2s 500mah. Also, the Rx without the housing weights about 3 grams less than my Graupner Rx (the one in the previous version) with the housing. There is also considerably less tape on hinges and edges.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,282 Posts
Sadly, I did not manage to get a video of the plane flying. On Saturday there were only crashes. It turned out that the new elevons were too short (only 2cm) and the plane was doing some strange maneuvers before crashing. Thankfully I made the nose extra tough so it too all of that punishment without even wrinkling all that much.

So Saturday evening I made new elevons, 3.5cm in length, and that made a REALLY BIG difference on Sunday. The plane flew amazingly before one of the servos gave up due to all the crashing. Soooo, the servo is already replaced, but the flight video will be delayed will next weekend.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,282 Posts
The first successful flight after the rebuild happened today. After I fixed some servo issues the plane behaves really nice. It is quite controllable, it is capable of quite a lot of stuff and it does it quite good. I think stall speed it quite low. I am really happy with how it turned out.

The flight portion of the below video is a little over 2 mins. The rest is the time lapse build.

Scratch build 35mm EDF delta wing jet (Successful flight, build log) (15 min 44 sec)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:14 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,282 Posts
Here is a recent video of me doing some inverted Harrier maneuvers with the EDF. It is surprisingly stable this way. Only problem is, on a 2s it does not have enough thrust to keep its altitude and drops slowly.

35mm EDF Delta Wing doing inverted Harrier maneuver (4 min 9 sec)
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:28 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,282 Posts
Hi, guys.
I finally got around to upgrading the plane to a 3S set up.

You can find all the info and details on my blog: ArxangelRC.blogpost.com

Amp draw at full throttle is around 9.3amps. It was 4.2amps with the 2S li-po. After a 20 sec test, the ESC was at 65 degrees centigrade (which is understandable since there was no cooling).

Will take some flight video this weekend.
Last edited by Arxangel; Jan 18, 2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:50 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,282 Posts
Last Sunday I managed to crash the plane, nose first at full throttle, into the ground while attempting some made up maneuvers at low altitude (It was my mistake for not flying a bit higher). Anyway, the nose is quite bent and the vertical stabilizer is almost torn off, but it could be repaired.

However, I've been looking for an excuse to rebuild the model and try and shave off a couple more grams, if possible. So, this crash provides me with a great opportunity to do so.

Here's the damage: