HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:58 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
389 Posts
I had mixed in some rudder with the aileron and put it on a switch. Been too busy flying to activate the mix. Maybe next time I'll put it up high and try it out. Best, Aero
Aeronut41 is offline Find More Posts by Aeronut41
Last edited by Aeronut41; Apr 08, 2013 at 02:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:40 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronut41 View Post
Yeah, Calvin makes a good pilot and HHR totem

Did you just sketch out Calvin or did you find a PDF of him?

I too am a big Calvin & Hobbes fan and have thought about adding him to my AutoG as well.

I think the "real" Calvin would love to buzz around atop an autogyro
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:55 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
389 Posts
Sammy, Don't remember where I got the pic but I have used it for a long time. Here is a jpg that I print out. You can probably use "Paint" to scale it to your needs. Calvin and Hobbes will live on! Best, Aero
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:10 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,181 Posts
Thanks Aero!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 01:28 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,648 Posts
Looks like a lot going on since I've been away on Spring Break with the family......

Nice HD vids joseico & I'm still diggin that paint scheme as well as the few stripes on the horizontal stab for a bit of a "sunburst" scheme.

Rickochet I'm sorry to hear 'bout your maiden & glad you have some spare rotor blades for your next "real" maiden. Good luck & the wind sure was in your favor as far as the rotor blade pre-rotation goes that's for sure.

Aeronut your G looks neat with Calvin in the flight deck!! Your vertical fins look nice as well!

Happy Easter guys
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Mar 30, 2013, 01:53 PM
Lets break some props :D
United Kingdom, Liverpool
Joined Jun 2008
4,470 Posts
Happy Easter to you too

Thanks.
joseico90 is offline Find More Posts by joseico90
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:43 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined May 2007
177 Posts
Third attempt at a maiden with mine today and finally successful! Jose made hand launching look very easy, but there was not a breath of wind (for once with the weather we've been having), so I ran round the field looking like a right numpty, but finally got the blades whistling and away she went.

Was a bit of a handful, but awesome fun. Have only flown fixed wing and quadcopters previously and think the I needed a bit of expo or toned down aileron, but bloody loved it! Can see it is easy to lose orientation but it was very responsive and just adore those sweeping turns it does. Great noise as well.

Have a couple of Rich's plans and bought this to aid my skills before destroying something I've lovingly built! 1 flight in and I'm hooked.

Cheers all,
Wij.
wijwoj is online now Find More Posts by wijwoj
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:53 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,828 Posts
Just as I am sure that we folks here in the U.S. have some sayings/names that you folks in the U.K, must get a laugh about.... I love some of the ones you guys have....I had never heard of a "right numpty"...but, just the sound of it makes me laugh....

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:03 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,181 Posts
I was thinking the same thing SteveT.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:29 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,828 Posts
Great minds think alike...

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Mar 31, 2013, 07:52 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Good news - I maidended the AG today. Bad news - Flight lasted 5 seconds.

As others had suggested I opted for a hand launch. The wind was blowing 5 - 10 and I turned the nose up and the blades really spooled up to where I could hardly hold it. I moved the throttle up and let go. It immediated rolled right and hit the ground. Tooth picks saved the head but lunched two blades.
After looking at the blades I think that the two damaged blades are repairable. The spars are ok. One has the foam torn loose at tip and I can glue that back. The other has a few wrinkles in the foam. Something I am thinking about doing is putting clear packing tape on the top and bottom of the blades to smooth out the airflow and give them a bit more strength.

Has anyone covered these rotor blades?
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Mar 31, 2013, 08:40 AM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
389 Posts
Rick, Yes! After each ding I have covered the damaged area with clear packing tape and they work fine. You'll need to re-balance the rotor to avoid vibration. Best, Aero
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:17 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronut41 View Post
Rick, Yes! After each ding I have covered the damaged area with clear packing tape and they work fine. You'll need to re-balance the rotor to avoid vibration. Best, Aero
Do you just weigh the blades for balance or is there a way to balance the blades while on the head? I have always had trouble trying to balance props with more than two blades.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:44 AM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
389 Posts
Hi Rick, There is probably a better way for the really AR types or "experts" but for we simpletons here is what I do I clamp a piece of music wire horizontally in the vise and place the rotor assembly on the projecting wire so it can spin around like a fan. I add tape to the blade(s) that always stops on top till the assembly will always stay where you put it. Usually have to add weight to 2 blades to balance out the heaviest one. Good luck on the remaiden , Aero
Last edited by Aeronut41; Mar 31, 2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:04 AM
Lets break some props :D
United Kingdom, Liverpool
Joined Jun 2008
4,470 Posts
Though these blades are usually pretty close in weight and chord & span balance( just over one gram difference on my stock set).. they can be fine tuned as follows:

1-Make each blade balance length wise (span) on a edge, kind of like a seesaw, and mark the balance point, use some tape or similar till all blades balance in the same spot, this is the SPAN C of G. (Centre of Gravity)

2- Weigh each blade individually, add weight to the lighter/s one/s (to match the heaviest) using tape or a bit of piano wire, lead solder wire..etc buried and glued underneath the foam and cover with tape, till all blades weigh very closely the same, this weight has to be positioned right on the on the blade SPAN C of G where it meets the chord CG.

(The Chord C of G, (width wise) on these is already factory set, its location is where the black plastic meets the foam, around 33% of the chord) If making home made blades I recommend the chord CG in the same location on the new blades for best performance.

I'm making balsa and cf rod clone blades and also will soon repair my stock ones with Depron foam or EPP.

I found that trying to balance the blades/rotor dynamically gave poor results, perhaps its because when we add weight we don't always place it where the SPAN Centre of Gravity meets the chord C of G, but it should be done this way or the CG's on the blade will be wrong.

In general RC Autogyro blades need to balanced in:

1-Individual Blade Weight
2-Chord CG
3-Span CG

There are also other factors to consider if making new ones, like the location of the blade (hole) bolt location with respect of the chord CG.

In the photos below I'm showing the two CG locations and the way I added weight to the lightest blade on my stock set to match the others. The result is a very smooth running rotor.
joseico90 is offline Find More Posts by joseico90
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by joseico90; Apr 01, 2013 at 06:16 PM.