SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:34 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
479 Posts
That was great work by both of you guys!!! Loved it. RoBeerto is that a quad you used or a heli? Using goggles ? Nice job. You two are having Way tomfuch fun in my opinion lol.

As far as my HK C30 ,,it was my first autogyro and yes it needed a good bit of work and mods all the way to making my own bigger blades.

Again ,,Way ta go guys. That was very fun to watch!!!!
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:10 PM
<<x USMC
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jun 2010
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOOMNI View Post
That was great work by both of you guys!!! Loved it. RoBeerto is that a quad you used or a heli? Using goggles ? Nice job. You two are having Way tomfuch fun in my opinion lol.

As far as my HK C30 ,,it was my first autogyro and yes it needed a good bit of work and mods all the way to making my own bigger blades.

Again ,,Way ta go guys. That was very fun to watch!!!!

Thanks! I'm using a DJI F550 Hexacopter running a Wookong-M controller as the main and gimbal stabilization (still fine tuning as I barely got this thing last Saturday). no FPV/goggles just line of sight and guestimating the view angle on the camera from the ground. Good luck with your C30!!
r0beert0 is offline Find More Posts by r0beert0
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:54 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,471 Posts
Very Cool!! Is that a "Flame Wheel" frame by chance?

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:59 PM
<<x USMC
Joined Jun 2010
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Very Cool!! Is that a "Flame Wheel" frame by chance?

SteveT.

Hi Steve, yes it's the Flame Wheel, with the AG550 gimbal and landing gear combo, currently using a GoPro but may end up putting a GH3 on there... I still have to see how she will handle the extra weight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:02 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,471 Posts
Very nice setup you have there!! I want a larger Quad or Hex, but the funds just aren't there right now...So right now, just playing with a small Hubsan quad (basically a toy, but fun to chase the cat around the house with)...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:09 PM
<<x USMC
Joined Jun 2010
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Very nice setup you have there!! I want a larger Quad or Hex, but the funds just aren't there right now...So right now, just playing with a small Hubsan quad (basically a toy, but fun to chase the cat around the house with)...

SteveT.
LOL, all in good time! my first quad was a Gaui 330X was pretty discouraged at the lack in performance so I set it a side for a couple of years then I sold it, this here is my second multi-rotor, good stepping stone to get in to AP/V.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:06 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
403 Posts
We have about a foot of snow pack which has curtailed any RC activity for a few weeks. The weather report is for above freezing temps and rain for the next few days so hopefully the snow will go away and I can fly my Dura G again! Meantime Calvin has volunteered to be the pilot Best Aero
Aeronut41 is offline Find More Posts by Aeronut41
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:23 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronut41 View Post
Meantime Calvin has volunteered to be the pilot Best Aero

Very COOL pilot!

Always loved Calvin & Hobbes
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:45 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
403 Posts
Yeah, I was sorry when the strip ended but his memory lives on Best, Aero
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:46 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Very COOL pilot!

Always loved Calvin & Hobbes
Agreed....and....Me too!!

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:51 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
403 Posts
Heh heh! Small world! I don't have Calvin and Hobbes stickers on it but I do have a black HHR Aero
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:54 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,471 Posts
I love my HHR, I carry planes as large as my 89" Slick in it......and If you want a set of the Calvin stickers for your HHR, contact Nick at Nachoscheese.net...tell him you want a set of the stickers like did for SteveT.

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:01 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
403 Posts
Yeah, the HHR is a great airplane hauler. Lots of useable space and a good road car. My son and I pack our planes and luggage to go to contests with plenty of room! Thanks for the tip on the stickers. I may drop a line to him Best, Aero
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:32 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Sep 2011
66 Posts
After comprehensively demolishing a couple of blades,I thought it was time to make my own.
They are made from a balsa/cedar/balsa sandwich.
The cedar strip is from old window blinds.Beautiful stuff.
They are about 3/4" wide,so a 3/32 balsa strip was glued to the back to bring the width up to size.Then 1/32 balsa on the bottom,and 1/16th on top.
Glued with aliphatic resin glue,and weighed down with old phone books to ensure a flat blade while drying.
When dry,the top surface was lightly shaped into an aerofoil section with a small plane and sanding block.
The bottom is flat,apart from a rounded leading edge.
Here's how they came out:

One blade has a minor imperfection on the top,where the plane gouged the wood a bit,but a blind man would be glad to see that.
Finally,a pic of the blades as covered with orange covering out of my scraps box:

They have now been fitted to the gyro,but due to circumstances beyond my control,I won't be able to test them for a couple of weeks.
beaverbuddy is offline Find More Posts by beaverbuddy
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:56 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,871 Posts
Successful Maiden - Shame about the last flight!

Well had a rather unsuccessful hand launch maiden last weekend in rather windy conditions. Had to much up elevator trimmed in and I couldn't get the nose trimmed down in time (and when you add rather windy conditions and a cricket match in progress) it ended with a rather heavy landing.

Not much damage though - just a broken blade grip and a bent blade after it fell over on the ground.

Move to this weekend when I did my 'real' maiden.

Cos I had a rather steady breeze I took it off from the ground and gotta say it flew great. Had a tendency to want to climb into the 15 knot breeze but apart from that no real issues. Was only using rudder sparingly too cos it seemed happy to bank around with 'aileron' control.

Landing was also great. Basically slowed down to a hover in the breeze and was a good 3 pointer.

2nd flight as well went great.

Unfortunately the 3rd flight ended in tears. Simply lost orientation with the overcast sky and gusty conditions (I let it get too far downwind from me). It went in nose first.......HARD. Even left a divot in the grass

But actually got away with it pretty lightly. Broken blades (but not the blade grip), broken engine mount (at the base, already epoxied back together), and a broken prop.

I was amazed how well the rest of it stood up to it ok. Even the motor shaft is still straight!!

I've collected lots of spares already as well so it'll be ready to go again tomorrow.

Anyway the main thing I learnt was to make sure to keep it in close. I'm also going to paint the fuse a brighter colour (stickers fell off after the crash anyway) and to keep it in closer during flying!!

Definitely a keeper though!
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63