HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:22 PM
United States, UT, Hurricane
Joined Aug 2012
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63 View Post
I've had a lot of success with ungluing with acetone.

Seems to be ok on EPO too.

Maybe just test try a drop on the bottom of the fuse first to make sure its not going to damage the foam.

Also remember some PPE!

Finally got it taken care of.. they must pay their employees by the hour not buy the job.. LOL

Whats PPE?
metalwizard is online now Find More Posts by metalwizard
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:18 PM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwizard View Post
Finally got it taken care of.. they must pay their employees by the hour not buy the job.. LOL

Whats PPE?
That's great you got it out.

How did you manage to do it in the end?

PPE stands for Personal Protective Equipment (safety glasses, gloves etc).

As you probably know, that acetone can be nasty stuff!!
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:08 PM
Joined Aug 2012
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63 View Post
That's great you got it out.

How did you manage to do it in the end?

PPE stands for Personal Protective Equipment (safety glasses, gloves etc).

As you probably know, that acetone can be nasty stuff!!
Nope its not out yet. I tried splitting the fuse in half but there are some foam blocks in there thats why I ordered a new fuse more to see how it goes together
than to replace it... unless I end up messing this one up LOL

Question did anyone else have trouble with orientation??? it was late in the evening but to me it seemed REALLY hard to see which way I was going.

I fly Helies and fixed wing so I figured I know which way it was turning/leaning etc but tha twas not the case..

I am sure when it goes back together its getting half flourescent and half black paintjob... my old eyes just could not keep up LOL
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:18 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Nope its not out yet. I tried splitting the fuse in half but there are some foam blocks in there thats why I ordered a new fuse more to see how it goes together
If you look at the top of the fuse between the tower bases there is a square foam block glued in. Have you tried cutting that at the seam and try pulling it out? If you can get that block out it may give you a good view of the inside where the wood is attached.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:41 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Quote:

Question did anyone else have trouble with orientation??? it was late in the evening but to me it seemed REALLY hard to see which way I was going.

I fly Helies and fixed wing so I figured I know which way it was turning/leaning etc but tha twas not the case..

I am sure when it goes back together its getting half flourescent and half black paintjob... my old eyes just could not keep up LOL
I'm lucky to fly in the mornings when the visibility is usually good, maybe an overcast day but that's when I bring out my planes with LED's for better orientation against the gray sky.

Did you see Nightflyer's vid where he placed flourescent tape on his rotor blades? I'm sure that may help but not sure how much may help when flying at dusk?

Fast forward to 6:50 and you'll see how the tape looks on his gyro:

Durafly Auto-Gyro Copter Mods, Tips, and Heavy Wind test. (10 min 0 sec)
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:53 PM
Joined Aug 2012
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
If you look at the top of the fuse between the tower bases there is a square foam block glued in. Have you tried cutting that at the seam and try pulling it out? If you can get that block out it may give you a good view of the inside where the wood is attached.

I have tried cutting it loose I think I need a longer blade. becaus it wont budge!

Rcoconut..

I am seriously thinking about lights on the thing just because.

I fly CP helis and never have I gotten that turned around before.. Yeah the lighting was bad so my fault.. no biggie the tower was less than $4.00 I call it part of the learning curve.

Heck took me 3 tries to get it off the ground the first time LOL
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:10 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
474 Posts
Lights are a good idea although I havent done this. I mainly fly RC helicopters from a little brushless Blade Mcpx I built all the way up to my big gasoline monsters swinging two 710mm CF blades. What helped me alot was this. I don't wear glasses [but lately use drugstore glasses to read small print etc] . When I had my eyes checked he said use drug store glasses for reading ,,thats it. I didnt need glasses to drive and passed the eye test easily when I renewed my drivers license. I then told him I fly rc and want to see like an eagle at far distances. He checked my eyes and I got an RC lens prescription!! The difference is rather dramatic. You can see much more detail of the aircraft which could make all the difference. I highly recommend it!
TURBOOMNI is online now Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:07 AM
Joined Aug 2012
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOOMNI View Post
Lights are a good idea although I havent done this. I mainly fly RC helicopters from a little brushless Blade Mcpx I built all the way up to my big gasoline monsters swinging two 710mm CF blades. What helped me alot was this. I don't wear glasses [but lately use drugstore glasses to read small print etc] . When I had my eyes checked he said use drug store glasses for reading ,,thats it. I didnt need glasses to drive and passed the eye test easily when I renewed my drivers license. I then told him I fly rc and want to see like an eagle at far distances. He checked my eyes and I got an RC lens prescription!! The difference is rather dramatic. You can see much more detail of the aircraft which could make all the difference. I highly recommend it!

imteresting...
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:23 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Amazing what a little wind can do!!!

3 flights today with winds blowing steady at 3mph peaking at 4.6mph per the anemometer.

Walked 2 steps forward & she was airborne!!!!! It was fun flying with the wind at that speed but also a little nerve racking! The downwind legs the wind seemed to "lift" her tail up & she would wheel barrow along. Turning I needed a wide birth 'cause she was getting pushed further down wind while in the turn before heading right into the wind!

She was flown at just over half throttle & slow flight was really NEAT! Facing upwind she hovered there, even getting pushed backwards a few times!

Took her up to altitude, throttled off, and she did a vertical descent, reminded me of my F27Q Stryker doing an Elevator/Parachute landing!!

And landings were so fun with some wind blowing!! Touch down was with zero airspeed!!

Total of 10 flights so far with 1hr 3mins of flight time. Having a lot of fun with her!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:32 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Amazing what a little wind can do!!!

3 flights today with winds blowing steady at 3mph peaking at 4.6mph per the anemometer.

Walked 2 steps forward & she was airborne!!!!! It was fun flying with the wind at that speed but also a little nerve racking! The downwind legs the wind seemed to "lift" her tail up & she would wheel barrow along. Turning I needed a wide birth 'cause she was getting pushed further down wind while in the turn before heading right into the wind!

She was flown at just over half throttle & slow flight was really NEAT! Facing upwind she hovered there, even getting pushed backwards a few times!

Took her up to altitude, throttled off, and she did a vertical descent, reminded me of my F27Q Stryker doing an Elevator/Parachute landing!!

And landings were so fun with some wind blowing!! Touch down was with zero airspeed!!

Total of 10 flights so far with 1hr 3mins of flight time. Having a lot of fun with her!!!!!!!!
Nice report and great to see you having fun. Looks like hand launches will be no issue for me since the wind blows here most everyday. The wx is warming soon so I hope to do the maiden next week.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:08 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Flair View Post

It shouldn't be necessary to break into a sweat.

Hold the model vertical, prop facing up. The blades may need a little flick to get them going.
Walk forward slowly
The blades will increase slightly in speed
Change attitude of the model to 45 degrees, keep walking slowly, the blade speed will increase and when the blades are up to speed, noted by a distinct change in sound, apply half throttle, move the model to straight and level, a little more throttle, keep walking slowly and gently push the model forward into the air

Be ready on ailerons for a slight dip to the left or a little more power if the climb out slow

Enjoy the flight without being out of breath

Malcolm
Followed these EXACT instructions Rickochet & with the wind blowing the way they were no pre-rotation was needed!

Looking forward to your report of your maiden!!!
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:12 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Followed these EXACT instructions Rickochet & with the wind blowing the way they were no pre-rotation was needed!

Looking forward to your report of your maiden!!!
I hope to maiden my hatcam also although it may take me a few months to figure out the video editing. But then, the maiden may only be a 10 second clip.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:44 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
474 Posts
Sounds like fun! Can't wait for spring so I can fly mine! I also have the HobbyKing Cierva C30 .. I have never run it off the ground,,only hand launch and I was amazed at how little wind it took to hand launch. You will hear that sound when it is in real auto rotation and give her a toss!
TURBOOMNI is online now Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:29 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOOMNI View Post
Sounds like fun! Can't wait for spring so I can fly mine! I also have the HobbyKing Cierva C30 .. I have never run it off the ground,,only hand launch and I was amazed at how little wind it took to hand launch. You will hear that sound when it is in real auto rotation and give her a toss!
Awe man!!! If you have the C30 this thing will be a piece of cake!!!

A buddy of mine has a C30 & it sounded like a lot more "work" to put her together & get her airworthy compared to our Auto-G?!?

Hope Spring comes fast for ya!
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:46 PM
<<x USMC
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jun 2010
667 Posts
I shot this aerial video (point and shoot) for rcoconut this morning enjoy!

AERIAL VIEW - Durafly Auto-G (2 min 19 sec)
r0beert0 is offline Find More Posts by r0beert0
RCG Plus Member