HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:32 AM
Россия, Самарская область, город Самара
Joined Jun 2010
8 Posts
my balsa blades for auto-g
converted from hobbyking cierva c-30 3 blade pack (7.5$) and school ruler (10 RUB, 0.3$)

overall view

and short video...
blades lives more that 15 flights now, all OK.

00173 (0 min 48 sec)
jakonezumi is offline Find More Posts by jakonezumi
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:44 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
982 Posts
What length are those blades, was wondering if there were other blades out their that could be adapted.
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:15 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,648 Posts
FINALLY!! After 3 months the maiden was a SUCCESS!!! Winds were light & variable & we went with a hand launch to get her airborne. Had a blast & after the first flight flew 2 more batts. The video is a little long but it's a good laugh:

Durafly Auto-G Gyro from HobbyKing (7 min 32 sec)
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:48 AM
Россия, Самарская область, город Самара
Joined Jun 2010
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
What length are those blades, was wondering if there were other blades out their that could be adapted.
450mm
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Blade_Set.html

i simply cut out mount plate of blade. and replace covering film.
overall blade length (with mounting ruler) for dufafly auto-g must be 400mm.

width of cierva blade - 35mm
jakonezumi is offline Find More Posts by jakonezumi
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:20 AM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,101 Posts
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:27 PM
Joined Feb 2012
680 Posts
rcoconut .

Congratulations on the successful maiden . After the first attempt you made it look easy .It just highlights the need for first timers to do the home work ,and or get some help from the forum . Well done for not giving after the first attempt.

Tom.
Tom Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tom Wright
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:33 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
rcoconut .

Congratulations on the successful maiden . After the first attempt you made it look easy .It just highlights the need for first timers to do the home work ,and or get some help from the forum . Well done for not giving after the first attempt.

Tom.
Thanks Tom!! Today was another GREAT day!! My Crew Chief balanced the rotor blades last night & today she had 0 vibration!!! WOW what a difference!! 3 awesome flights!! And on my last flight I tried a hand launch with 0 rotor blade rotation. Not a problem, I just had to run a little bit further than my previous flights, LOL!! But she's a show stopper for sure!!

2 local workers stopped by & wanted to know what it was, LOL. They weren't sure if it was an airplane or helicopter. It was funny!

Thanks again for all the help!!!!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:57 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Congrats on the maiden rcoconut. I am waiting for winter to depart before trying mine. I did the high speed taxi runs and found that full throttle with insufficient rotor speed is not a good combo but only broke some tooth picks.

Being an old geezer with bad knees running to hand launch isn't an option. So I guess waiting for some wind to spool up the head for a hand launch is best but I have always wanted a no wind day to maiden an aircraft. A bit of a dilemna, eh?
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:03 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,648 Posts
Awe man, sorry 'bout the knees, there's a "seasoned" gentleman where I fly & he would love to get this, but as soon as he saw me run he exclaimed, "Forget it, it's not for me"

The winds were light & variable again 0-5mph, I was going to try the "brisk walk" but instead I ended up running.

I understand your dilemma, but I think with this aircraft you'll want to go with that "windy day". It will help tremendously with your hand-launch!!

Good luck & hope it works out for you as she did for me!!

She's so fun to fly!!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:12 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hemel Hempstead
Joined Feb 2010
61 Posts
lol, there are going to be a lot of fit helpers trying to fly these Auto-G's.

It shouldn't be necessary to break into a sweat.

Hold the model vertical, prop facing up. The blades may need a little flick to get them going.
Walk forward slowly
The blades will increase slightly in speed
Change attitude of the model to 45 degrees, keep walking slowly, the blade speed will increase and when the blades are up to speed, noted by a distinct change in sound, apply half throttle, move the model to straight and level, a little more throttle, keep walking slowly and gently push the model forward into the air

Be ready on ailerons for a slight dip to the left or a little more power if the climb out slow

Enjoy the flight without being out of breath

Malcolm
Flying_Flair is offline Find More Posts by Flying_Flair
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:23 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,648 Posts
Here's flight #5 with the balanced blades. A bit lengthy video so you'll have to forgive me (i'm still learning the iMovie software & i'm still a newbie as far as posting vids on YouTube) But if you have a few minutes to kill have a look.

Durafly Auto-G Gyro Day 2 (6 min 6 sec)

Was hoping to fly today but the winds are blowing too much for me (known as Santa Ana Winds in Southern California). Steady 9mph gusting to 20mph per the anemometer. I was tempted to try a RTO but I chickened out!!! I'll stick with the sprinting hand-launch 'til I feel a lot more comfortable with her, LOL!!
Old Mar 01, 2013, 01:26 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
473 Posts
Great stuff there and congrats to you. Looks like your having alot of fun with the AutoG
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Old Mar 01, 2013, 01:46 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,648 Posts
Thanks Turbo!

She really is a lot of fun!! I just hope newbie gyro pilots have a read here first before their maiden flight! I think I'd still be trying the RTO with her & snapping rotor blades off or breakin tons of toothpicks, LOL!

But I have to admit, I did not do the toothpick mod yet. Another thing to add to the To Do List!!
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:35 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,698 Posts
I finally maidened mine today. Bought this way back in October, I think, but I've been distracted with my aerobats. The auto-g is a big baby! Only tricky thing is take off, which this thread warned me about. Now I need to balance the prop and the rotor... you could tell there was mucho vibration in the air.
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:37 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
473 Posts
Mine is ready to go but the weather here in New England is not!! I balanced the rotor blades and the prop,,,not too happy with the clevises and the pushrod length but it is workable . Thank goodness for computer radios.....
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI