HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:38 PM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Fellas, I need a prop and the oem one is only avail from Asia.

So which GWS prop would be the most suitable replacement for the stock 10x8x3 one?

10x6, three-blade:
http://gwsprops.com/10x6x3.JPG

10x8 SF:
http://gwsprops.com/1080.JPG

10x8 Direct-Drive:
http://gwsprops.com/1080HD.JPG

Other things equal, I'd prefer 3-blade; but I'm hesitant since going from the stock 8-pitch to 6-pitch might not work....

Thoughts / tips / advice?

thx
Jeff

btw...this thing is a T-R-I-P!!!!!!
Hi Jeff,
Your profile says you are in the U.S. if so the props are available in the U.S's warehouse!!
Here:-http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=35789
If you didn't know all parts should be there. I did check on the props and they are not on backorder.

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:56 AM
Montville Queensland Australia
Joined Jul 2005
149 Posts
Different props

I have had my AG for 3 weeks and the weather has been shocking. We have had 2 low pressure systems hanging about . One moved away and the other decided to come and visit. In the last day we have had 150mm or 6 inches. When the rain stops the wind blows. There are extreme weather warnings out for almost all the eastern coast of Australia. I have managed only one flight of about 4 minutes without damage apart from the tooth pics.
With the rain tumbling down I decided to have a play with a range of props.
10x8x3 original 17.8 amps
10x8x4 P51 prop 25 amps
9x5x3 13.9 amps
19x4.7x2 slowfly 20 amps
10x8x2 P51 minus 2 blades 17.8 amps
The Hobby king P51 runs a 4 bladed prop and they are not strong. I have re balanced them as 2 blades and they are quite efficient. I was surprised to see that the 10x8x2 blade was pulling the same amps as the original. I could not do an RPM check as there was insufficient daylight to activate the rev counter. Going by the feel at full power it would appear that it has more grunt. I will have to wait until the weather changes and that will not be until Saturday.
Ray
fritz2460 is offline Find More Posts by fritz2460
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:00 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,968 Posts
How many watts where they making??

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:36 AM
Joined Feb 2012
680 Posts
Lurch.
Just multiply the the current in amps by the the lipo voltage eg 17.5A X 11 V = 192.5 Watts.
My AG goes well on a two blade APC 10X6 .which returns 190 Watts.

Tom.
Tom Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tom Wright
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:05 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,019 Posts
Finally had a few successful flights yesterday after the first attempts broke my blades when it tipped over.

My advice for first flights is hand launch, get your helper to hold it 45deg up into the wind and let the blades spin up to you hear them whirring, then launch level as possible after a little run. Get it flying and trimmed out first, it will make ground take off's easier.

Rudder is the primary control, so unless you are competent with rudder I would suggest mix it with the aileron control, ail-rud mix on your radio, for the last flight I experimented with it and it made it much easier to fly, I found the best setup was 40% (JR radio) rud mix with aileron.

Very rewarding to fly and a different sort of flying, heli men will find it easier than aeroplane only pilots, turning seq is apply some up elevator, rudder then bit of aileron, but as said the ail-rud mix is recommended.

I made a new set of blades from balsa and spent a lot of time balancing them and it paid off as they were very smooth and generated a lot of head speed, made landing/slow speed very easy.

As I also broke the prop I fitted a 9x5 3blade GWS it flew it ok but was under powered.
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:01 AM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
Hi Jeff,
Your profile says you are in the U.S. if so the props are available in the U.S's warehouse!!
Here:-http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=35789
If you didn't know all parts should be there. I did check on the props and they are not on backorder.

LURCH
Lurch, thx, pal...I put a couple in my basket but shipping choice came back "EMS post" or something...appreciate the tip

Jeff
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:04 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
So, anybody tried any of these?

10x6, three-blade:
http://gwsprops.com/10x6x3.JPG

10x8 SF:
http://gwsprops.com/1080.JPG

10x8 Direct-Drive:
http://gwsprops.com/1080HD.JPG

Thx...I need to get a blade order going...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:19 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Well, I just ordered all 3 from GWS for like $6 shipped...just a single stock prop from HKUSA is like $10.17...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:20 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,019 Posts
A few people sent me a PM to ask about making the balsa blades, this is what I done.

First when you break them make sure you have all the black plastic bits as you can stick them back together again on the new blade..

Clean out all the foam and glue from the plastic leading edge.

Get some 1/8th balsa sheet (4” width gives you more blades) if you have no 1/8th you can also get away with 3/32nd

Cut the 1/8th sheet to 40mm wide by 368mm long for each blade, cut the taper near the root of the blade like the original which is approx 38mm long by 15mm.

The Leading edge of this blade needs to be chamfered slightly to fit into the black plastic Leading edge, just sand it away until it fits nicely inside.

Fit the new blade into the leading edge and then run in some thin cyno.

Cut two (six in total) 1/16th sheet 30mm wide x 368mm long balsa for each side, they need to be cut to suit the shape of the plastic leading edge (see pic below), you can do this by using one of the black plastic leading edge pieces as a guide (best to mark/cut all six now before you glue up any more blades).

Glue the 1/16th balsa, each side of the 1/8th sheet with medium cyno or pva if you prefer.

When set, sand the blade so it tapers to the trailing edge as the original (see pic below).

When each blade is roughly to the shape you can then mount them and check dynamic and static balance (as detailed earlier in this thread P51) sanding more off the heavy one.
I brushed on some clearcoat to seal the wood, you could paint white or leave as is up to you.
Use thin cyno if bit of the finely sanded edge starts to lift especially on the top of the blade where you sand most of the top 1/16th sheet away to get the shape.

I used a thick clear plastic tape for the final balance, might be able to be seen in pic with blades folded back below.

As I also broke the end of one blade I cut them all off and drilled new holes through the blades, you will need longer bolts M2x15mm

But this is not necessary until you break them off!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:34 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,687 Posts
Looks nice!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:34 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Well, I just ordered all 3 from GWS for like $6 shipped...just a single stock prop from HKUSA is like $10.17...
Two good online places with quick and cheap shipping are www.headsuprc.com and www.valuehobby.com. HURC has $2 flat rate shipping.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Two good online places with quick and cheap shipping are www.headsuprc.com and www.valuehobby.com. HURC has $2 flat rate shipping.

Thx Rick I'm a big fan and loyal customer of both sites...but...I didn't think to look for alternate AG props on either...have you?

thx
Jeff
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:42 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Thx Rick I'm a big fan and loyal customer of both sites...but...I didn't think to look for alternate AG props on either...have you?thx
Jeff
I really haven't looked for an alternative. I ordered some extra parts for my AG and tossed an extra prop in on the order. Plus, I have a pretty good stash of various sized props in my bin.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:45 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,019 Posts
HK UK have the props and other spares apart from the blades and flex plate
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:39 AM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
399 Posts
HK USA also has props in stock so no need to try to find substitutes. Best Aero
Aeronut41 is offline Find More Posts by Aeronut41
Last edited by Aeronut41; Mar 03, 2013 at 05:28 PM.