Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:07 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz2460 View Post
Hi folks,
would somebody please point me in the direction the above.
Mine is ready to go as soon as the weather clears. The field I fly in is not suitable for ROG so I will leave the UC off but place some weight in the slot for the UC to maintain the CofG it weighs 30gm.
Thanks

Ray
I don't think that would be advisable. The gear is also for support on landing. Without it the AG would be more unstable and prone to tip over on it's side and strike the blades on the ground.

To add tooth picks I took an exacto #11 knife and from the top of the hole twirled the blade to enlarge the hole until a round tooth pick would fit in the hole.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Last edited by Rickochet; Feb 16, 2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:42 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Battery Question

What is the largest battery pack anyone has used in the AG and how did it fly?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:29 PM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
936 Posts
Nice FPV air to air video

Auto-G (1 min 23 sec)
Jockadopolus is online now Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:47 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockadopolus View Post
Nice FPV air to air video
Nice video. What kind of aircraft was doing chase?

And, wow what a nice flying field.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:59 PM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Nice video. What kind of aircraft was doing chase?

And, wow what a nice flying field.

A tricopter see end of this video

Tricopter FPV (4 min 10 sec)
Jockadopolus is online now Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:03 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Gave the auto-g another test today

being on my own i had the hand lauch it myself which wasnt as bad as i thought it would be with no wind,
had a nice flight and got it upto about 500ft which is higher than ive ever had it in the previous flights,
definately flew better than with the rigid epoxy glass plate but on landing it tipped forward due to long wet grass (even with the bigger wheels)
broke two of the blades off and left the cocktail sticks in place lol

still loving this autogyro though once the head plates sorted itll be awesome!
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:37 PM
Certifiable
USA, CO, Dacono
Joined Aug 2009
1,822 Posts
Another Auto-G lurker here, I just recieved mine in the mail today and everything looks in order. I have read the entire thread soooo I'm off to do the necessary modifications to get this thing airworthy.
I ordered this from the USA warehouse early last week and at the time they had 3 in stock, I checked back the fallowing day and the stock was -1. I did freak a little because the last thing I wanted was to get caught up in the infamous HK backorder loop, but all is well!
Some poor soul out there has the unlucky number -1....good luck!
Thanks for all the tips and tricks in this thread Guy's it will assure me of a uneventfull maiden (hopefully)
Dacono Air is offline Find More Posts by Dacono Air
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:40 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,685 Posts
Mark
That's good news....I am sure that the blade holder is a big problem on that model. on a lot of my models I even omit the pins. When you hand launch ,you will be able to feel the blades settling into position.
Chris.........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:01 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz View Post
Mark
That's good news....I am sure that the blade holder is a big problem on that model. on a lot of my models I even omit the pins. When you hand launch ,you will be able to feel the blades settling into position.
Chris.........
Can you still hand launch it in a no wind situation? Since I usually fly by myself I am trying to figure out the maiden on how to spin it up by myself and hand launch.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:34 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Can you still hand launch it in a no wind situation?

I have, but I didn't think it flew as well in zero wind.

The spin up & launch required some trotting/fast walking across the field with the rotor head tipped rearward 45*.

Once I could hear/feel the rotor get up to speed I just leveled the nose, powered the motor up to 3/4 and she flew away...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:56 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
I took the AG outside for the first time this afternoon. Cold, but the wind was at 8mph and I wanted to see how the blades would spin up in the wind. I pointed it into the wind and held it nose up at at 45 angle as suggested and the blades quickly spun up. I could feel it wanting to lift out of my hand and I got a good idea of what kind of blade speed it needed to fly. It was very educational. I also tried to taxi it around my bumpy yard. This puppy can scoot at full power and without proper rotor speed isn't very laterally stable (broke a couple of toothpicks on roll overs). I hope to get it to the park next week and attempt the maiden. Extra parts are due in Friday.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:09 PM
Just John
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
2 tries each time too fast left turn at lift off. 2 broken props, blades good. where can I get 3 blade 10x8 props quick and cheap or is there a two blade subsitute?
thanks
Just John is offline Find More Posts by Just John
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:16 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Mine Arrives Wed!!

Fellas, count me in...tracking says mine will be here Wed!

Great thread, btw...really informative. I started rc with heli's and have always been intrigued by the auto's, but never saw one with enough mass-mkt appeal and support...til now

And the HK "alert me when back in stock" thingie worked... I was able to p/u 3 grips & 3 blades in the nanoecond they were in stock

What I think would REALLY be cool on the AG would be to have control of the pitch axis in addition to the roll axis!!!!
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:46 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just John View Post
2 tries each time too fast left turn at lift off. 2 broken props, blades good. where can I get 3 blade 10x8 props quick and cheap or is there a two blade subsitute?
thanks
Sorry to hear 'bout your 2 flights. Were you flying in 0 wind conditions? And did you hand launch both flights? I'm guessing the rotor blades were not spinning fast enough since your scenario is exactly what happened with my two tries. Good luck with the prop, I ended up putting the ParkZone BF109 3-bladed prop on her.
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut