SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:01 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,710 Posts
Mark
The droop is usually because there is a gap between the lower blade holders and the central plate .If they are made with a good tight fit, .then they will be OK......but to tell you the truth .a lot of my models have the blades drooping a little .I find that when the blades come up to speed .....they will level out OK.
Chris.........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:39 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
i get ya, cheers Chris
my worry was that in flight the blades tips would rise right up compared to the holders,
ill spool it up if i get chance later and see what happens

thanks,mark
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:58 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,035 Posts
You have to remember with an autogyro the blades are being turned/pushed by the air.
In a helicopter the blades are been driven by the shaft, they are spun out from the centre, not the same with a autogyro, blades have to be fixed to the centre plate, otherwise you have retractable blades
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:13 PM
Montville Queensland Australia
Joined Jul 2005
151 Posts
Having not flown one of these beasts before I have been reading the thread and noticed that to turn you need both aileron and rudder. I use rudder, aileron mix on my powered and slope. Would it work on this machine?
Ray
fritz2460 is offline Find More Posts by fritz2460
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:45 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,710 Posts
G'day Ray
Yes you can use a mix.......BUT......you will find the use of a rudder on an autogyro....will greatly improve its flying envelope........Instead of bank and yank.......using a high rudder input and opposite roll will give a very flat / tight turn.....very specky.
Happy Landings
Chris...........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:59 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
481 Posts
What Chris says is absolutely true. My first gyro to keep it from banking too hard [too far and she won't recover like a plane!} I found to keep the bird flatter in turns you use the rudder to turn the direction you want to go and opposite aileron or bank of the rotor head to keep it more level. With the correct mix you maybe doomed just from the programming before your first flight!! Do you fly RC helicopters? If so you won't have much problem as you are used to using the rudder all the time independently of the other controls.
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:09 AM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Mixing rudder and aileron for AGs is generally not a good idea. Like the other guys have said, generally a turn is initiated with rudder and then aileron is used to keep the AG flat or at the very least, keep it from corkscrewing into the ground. If you have to mix something, try a little throttle increase with up elevator. Throttle influences altitude more in AGs and elevator tends to influence speed. When you pull up, you expect a change in altitude but without the addition of throttle, it'll just settle back and descend.

Best to just fly it no frills and enjoy the hands on experience.

BTW if you guys are waiting for blade grips, they come in and then sell out immediately. I can usually get them within a week or two by simply placing and paying for an order, even though they are bk. Many times they don't even have time to post before they're gone. The paid back orders get the items first and then if there's any left, they'll go public. Don't mix them with other items because they won't split orders and your other items have to wait too.
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Last edited by skydanz; Feb 14, 2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:09 AM
Montville Queensland Australia
Joined Jul 2005
151 Posts
Hi Guys,
thank you for the advise it has saved me an embarrassment in front of the club. I have been a fixed wing man all my flying time. I will practice on the TX and get the new method of flying installed in the grey matter.
I always balance things that go round and had quite a job doing the prop. The blades I simply weighed on postal scales. There not 2 the same weight.
1 23.6 gm
2 24.3 gm
3 24.7 gm
It doesn't appear to be a lot. Would it make much of a difference?
They all now weigh 24.7gm, I have fed and glued slivers of lead into the outward end of the blades. I know from experience in the air force if you wanted to upset a grumpy helicopter pilot it only took a couple of rounds of the same colored insulation tape on the tail rotor and he would complain about vibrations. Sneak it off before some one did a check flight and there was no vibration. The more he complained the more we did it.
Once again thanks for the timely advice. I am looking forward to flying my new toy.

Ray
fritz2460 is offline Find More Posts by fritz2460
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:40 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hemel Hempstead
Joined Feb 2010
62 Posts
Hi Ray,

Tha'ts not the way to balance blades, you are right that they all should weigh about the same, but just adding tip weights will throw out any dynamic balance, and be noticable as vibration in flight.

Take a piece of 1/4" dowel about 8" long or a round pencil. Tape it to the bench at the ends. Balance the 3 blades across it, like 3 see-saws at the park, you may find that each balances in a slightly different place. Now add tip or root weight using tape to get them all to balance in the same place. Then weigh each of the blades, and add weight using tape at the balance point (ie CoG) until they are all within a gram of each other. These blades are so light that tape like benderm or 1/2" wide strips of covering material is more than adequate, you should not need lead.

Malcolm
Flying_Flair is offline Find More Posts by Flying_Flair
Last edited by Flying_Flair; Feb 14, 2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:58 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,536 Posts
I Have Been Assimilated

I have been sort of following this thread since it started. I tried to stay away, but I am weak. As the Borg say, "Prepare to be assimilated. Resistance is futile." Well, my AG kit arrived yesterday. I succumbed when I got an email notice of them being in stock at the USA warehouse. I have a Kellett kit I haven't started on yet but still had to have one of these.

The motor in the picture looks like a 24g Blue Wonder. Man, was I surprised when I looked at the real one. It is a BW on 'roids.

I went through all the pages in this thread yesterday to make sure I didn't miss anything. One thing I did notice is that the pictures in the instructions have been changed to reflect proper rotor tilt. But they didn't add any narrative to say "as viewed from behind" so there is still the possibility of some confusion.

I plan on adding some 3" wheels (11g each) and do the toothpick mod. I will do a CG check with the bigger wheels.

I hope to maiden it before our weather tanks in a few days.

Has anyone flown this one and the Whirlybird Profile Kellett? It would be interesting to read a comparison of the Two. Jodini...how about a little magic here?
Rickochet is online now Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:34 AM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Has anyone flown this one and the Whirlybird Profile Kellett? It would be interesting to read a comparison of the Two. Jodini...how about a little magic here?
Rick, I have both and I usually bring both to the field. I have to say, the Kellett is my "go-to" gyro. It is very stable, ROGs predictably and can float around with few surprises. The Auto-G flies more like a yank and bank and doesn't play well in stiff wind, but it is very aerobatic and recovers from odd attitudes quite well.

They are both fun to fly but have totally different personalities. I hope this helps.

Don
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:47 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydanz View Post
Rick, I have both and I usually bring both to the field. I have to say, the Kellett is my "go-to" gyro. It is very stable, ROGs predictably and can float around with few surprises. The Auto-G flies more like a yank and bank and doesn't play well in stiff wind, but it is very aerobatic and recovers from odd attitudes quite well.

They are both fun to fly but have totally different personalities. I hope this helps.

Don
Thanks for the info Don.

I just finished assembling the blades and head with the tooth pick mod. One thing I noticed was about 1/8" vertical play (slop) in the mast. Is this an issue? I thought of taking head off, removing the mast bolt and putting some washers under it. Any thoughts on that? I remember it mentioned in a post but it didn't register until I noticed it meself.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:01 AM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info Don.

I just finished assembling the blades and head with the tooth pick mod. One thing I noticed was about 1/8" vertical play (slop) in the mast. Is this an issue? I thought of taking head off, removing the mast bolt and putting some washers under it. Any thoughts on that?
I suppose it cant hurt but I've flown four of these now out of the box and none have had any problem with the slop. Make sure the clevises are all tightly closed and have the little rubber retainer up on it. I had one fellow that didn't put them on and the clevis popped off on the second flight. Double check the blade weights. They should be within half a gram of each other, otherwise just add some clear tape to the light ones. Make sure the blades are installed correctly in the grip. Blades go on top of everything else. Hand launch!

Good Luck

D
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:17 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydanz View Post
Make sure the clevises are all tightly closed and have the little rubber retainer up on it. I had one fellow that didn't put them on and the clevis popped off on the second flight.
Thanks again for the info. I always put bands on clevises made from silicon fuel tubing. One of the mast clevices was loose out of the box.

Based on recommendations I was planning on hand launching. Since I almost always fly alone I was thinking about using a cordless leaf blower to spin up the rotor. I am thinking about a ground mounted stand with a foot operated switch. Since the wind usually blows here at least 5-10 most everyday I probably won't need it but just doing some mental acrobatics at this point. I'll try to post some hatcam shots.

Rick
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:05 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,286 Posts
Quote:
Since I almost always fly alone I was thinking about using a cordless leaf blower to spin up the rotor.

If you have a decent wind you won't need the leafblower. I take about 5-6 brisk steps into the wind while at 3/4 throttle and she just flys away without issue...
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70