HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:09 PM
United States, UT, Hurricane
Joined Aug 2012
560 Posts
Thanks Guys I will try.

Once I get it in my hands I will see if I can duplicate the hub!
metalwizard is offline Find More Posts by metalwizard
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:48 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deidfly View Post
That is what happens when your friends are challenging you for a crazy stunt:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...52677f4180b802

Regards David

Nice flying there David!
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:38 AM
Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol, Bolzano
Joined Feb 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Nice flying there David!
Thanks Sammy, the Auto-G is quite a lot of fun. Just remember one thing :

Never try to perform a roll
deidfly is offline Find More Posts by deidfly
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:51 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
389 Posts
Yahoo!! Success! Maidened my Dura G this afternoon. I have never flown nor even seen an autogyro fly in person before so it was quite a thrill Had a nice light breeze and the temp got above freezing so had to give it a try! I'm too old to run very fast so I let the wind spool up the rotor till it was whistling and then gave it a throw! It's much faster and more responsive than I anticipated. Made two nice flights using coordinated turns and then nice slow flared landings before the wind died away and I came home happy with my new toy in one piece Best, Aero
Aeronut41 is offline Find More Posts by Aeronut41
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:13 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
473 Posts
That is great news and congrats to you! I have a Dura G but wont fly anytime soon,,,,got 25 inches of snow last night
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:20 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronut41 View Post
Yahoo!! Success! Maidened my Dura G this afternoon. I have never flown nor even seen an autogyro fly in person before so it was quite a thrill Had a nice light breeze and the temp got above freezing so had to give it a try! I'm too old to run very fast so I let the wind spool up the rotor till it was whistling and then gave it a throw! It's much faster and more responsive than I anticipated. Made two nice flights using coordinated turns and then nice slow flared landings before the wind died away and I came home happy with my new toy in one piece Best, Aero
ALRIGHT!!! Congrats with your maiden!!!

Hopefully my re-maiden will be in a few weeks!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:21 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
389 Posts
Ouch!! Yeah, it will be a while!! Well, you some fun flying to look forward to when you get dug out! Hope your remaiden goes well, Rcoconut! Best, Aero
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:23 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Yay! That's the kind of success story we like to hear! Did you put toothpicks in the inner hole of the blades? It's just good insurance for those eventual tip overs. I am so glad you went with the hand launch for the maiden. Once you get familiar with the handling, then an ROG is worth the challenge.

I had an opportunity to speak to the fellas from Hobby King that flew the gyro in the demo video. They were visiting my club field. I showed them the toothpick idea and they really liked it. They said they were going to talk to their design department and see if something like that could be incorporated. I suggested possibly molding a detent button into the rotor hub where the inner bolt would normally go. That way the minimal amount of retool could be done.

Don
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:30 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
389 Posts
Yes, I put toothpicks in the inner holes. I balanced the rotor using tape and it seems to be pretty smooth. I only have the one set of blades and am hoping they come into stock in the USA warehouse soon so I can get a spare set without ordering from China! . I may put larger wheels on before trying an ROG as I fly from a grass park. The detent button would be a good idea. Hope they incorporate it in future releases! Best Aero
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:04 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Aero, where do you live? Anywhere near the west coast?
Make sure you try and get some video, if you can. We all thrive on it!

Don
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:25 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
389 Posts
Nope! Live in frigid northern Illinois I'll try to get some video when my son is around and we get another nice day! Today's gyro success is giving me spring fever Best, Aero
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:39 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
i managed to test mine again today just before it got dark,
i tried it with the glass epoxy plate- not because i thought you guys were wrong but because i like to learn myself what happens when you change things

as was mentioned the auto-g was trying to pitch up and roll to the left,
not uncontrollably but not nice to fly,
i managed to fly for around 4-5 minutes before i landed it but it wasnt a relaxing flight put it that way

gonna fit a more flexible head now and try again
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:39 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
389 Posts
I may raid my wife's Tupperware collection Best, Aero
Last edited by Aeronut41; Feb 09, 2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:56 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Lol,
i made another plate tonight out of a tupperware container but the blades seem really flexible now?
how flexible is too flexible?
the blades hang down slightly when standing still, is this ok or should i use slightly stiffer plastic?

its more like an ornithopter if you lift it up and down
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:48 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydanz View Post
Yay! That's the kind of success story we like to hear! Did you put toothpicks in the inner hole of the blades? It's just good insurance for those eventual tip overs. I am so glad you went with the hand launch for the maiden. Once you get familiar with the handling, then an ROG is worth the challenge.

I had an opportunity to speak to the fellas from Hobby King that flew the gyro in the demo video. They were visiting my club field. I showed them the toothpick idea and they really liked it. They said they were going to talk to their design department and see if something like that could be incorporated. I suggested possibly molding a detent button into the rotor hub where the inner bolt would normally go. That way the minimal amount of retool could be done.

Don
Instead of tooth picks, how about just putting a small ball bearing in between the head and the blade holder in the hole. Might need just a bit of a recess cut with a counter-sink.

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...