Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:49 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
474 Posts
I remember with my first autogyro the infamous Hobby King Cierva C30 I made my own blades.By the time I got the CG correct the blades that came with the kit were not up to the task,,,flew too fast,,,not enough area and cord of lift. I made longer and wider blades amongst other mods to make it work. I used the blade plan from the spiro I found on this forum. I used 1/4 inch balsa sheet. I used plumbers solder as a weight near the leading edge at the tip. I balanced the blade length wise with pins at either end of the blade to find the CG. That is where I cut the blade holes. Anyway it was a fun project. It isn't very hard and does not take as long as you may think. Balance Balance Balance!!!
TURBOOMNI is online now Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Last edited by TURBOOMNI; Jan 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:16 AM
Germany, BY, Schongau
Joined Aug 2012
18 Posts
Auto-G Parts now in DE Warehouse

Hi all,

as just discovered, HK lists now all replacement parts in de DE Warehouse (including blade grips and main blades).
At the moment all parts are available and even with buddy codes:

Blade Grip
Main Blade
Rotor Base (Head)
Head Button
Propeller
Landing Gear

Cheers, Ralph
racs is offline Find More Posts by racs
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:55 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racs View Post
Hi all,

as just discovered, HK lists now all replacement parts in de DE Warehouse (including blade grips and main blades).
At the moment all parts are available and even with buddy codes:

Blade Grip
Main Blade
Rotor Base (Head)
Head Button
Propeller
Landing Gear

Cheers, Ralph
Thanks for that!!
Just checked, all parts now in the Aussie warehouse as well.

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:50 AM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
399 Posts
Wish they would start stocking spare parts in the US warehouse! Best, Aero
Aeronut41 is offline Find More Posts by Aeronut41
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:48 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,019 Posts
Just got mine, hope top test fly on Sunday, what is the neutral setup for the head does it sit a little to the left or right when trimmed out in flight (viewed from behind)
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:48 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,687 Posts
Good luck with your maiden!!! Hope it goes well!

Let me know if you hand launch or do a rolling takeoff as well as the wind conditions if you don't mind.

My second one just arrived but it's rain for the next 3 days!!!!

Wish I could help you with an answer, but mine only made it a few feet off the ground before rolling in the dirt due to lack of rotor blade speed, rookie gyro pilot!!
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:51 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
Is there a thread for balancing this kind of rotor blades?
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:33 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty case View Post
Is there a thread for balancing this kind of rotor blades?
This is how I done it with an old brushless out runner.
Just take the bell off the motor and you have a twin ball bearing shaft with a ready made mount to screw to your bench.
To make the bearings run really free inject a little bit of white spirits into the bearing (think they call it mineral spirit in USA).

Just make sure it is a 3mm shaft motor not the 1/8" size (3.17)

The 3mm shaft is a nice tight fit on the AUTO G hub. I added clear tape to the light blades and eventually the blades will stay where you put them.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:14 AM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
Tnx xairflyer

Do you weigh the blades for common weight, first?
rc
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:02 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,019 Posts
Yes the snag is though in order to do the whole balance thing properly you need to find the CG of each blades and get them all the same. But is it really needed with something like this?

I think normal blade balancing as shown above is all that is required, and I bet loads of these are put together and flown without even doing that.

I decided to paint the mast as I think just the wood makes it look a bit un-finished.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:25 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
Yes, the mast looks far better, painted!

Well, I'm just thinking if all is balanced very well there will be less wear in the long run, and perhaps better handling/more power available...

and it costs nothing but time to fine-tune a plane.

Win Win!
:-)
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:41 PM
Joined Sep 2004
474 Posts
I balance autogyro blades like heli blades. I first check and make sure the lengthwise cg of all three are the same. Then mark the spot on all three. If not correct. Then on my heli blade balancer I weight them to find the heaviest blade of the three. Then balance the two lighter blades to the heaviest one. All weight is put on the CG marked before. I wouldn't put any weight at the tip to balance,, only on the CG point. It really doesn't take much time .
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:15 PM
Joined Sep 2004
474 Posts
I am sure many just put the blades on without any balancing and it works fine. But I bet even with the low headspeeds that if everything is nicely balanced there maybe an improvement with a smoother machine and perhaps better headspeed and better acceration of the head in wind. I do know it is not good on a rc helicopter to not care about the cg and put tape at the end of the blade to balance. When run up they will still be out of balance.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:44 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
I decided to paint the mast as I think just the wood makes it look a bit un-finished.
Looks nice!! Did you use spray or brush to paint it white, what a big difference! Looks a lot better!
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:55 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Looks nice!! Did you use spray or brush to paint it white, what a big difference! Looks a lot better!
I would have liked to have sprayed it, and did remove the servos and head, but with that foam you need to be careful and I did'nt have any enamel based spray.

So I first brushed on a coat of white wood primer then brushed on some white gloss.
The laser cut burned edges are always a pain to cover with white, probably doing it blue or even black would be easier.