HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:05 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racs View Post
The only problem is that the shouldered bearings used up more of the length of the axis than the stock ones did. After putting the rotor on with the double nuts there are only 2-3 threads left

I ditched the double standard nut arrangement and used one self-locking (nyloc) nut
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:08 PM
The 1st Sofaman
United States, NJ, Hawthorne
Joined Mar 2012
494 Posts
Nice! That will work better for sure. Damn it!!!! I want mine to show up soon!

Dave
Sofaman NJ is offline Find More Posts by Sofaman NJ
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:34 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,791 Posts
Does anyone have an idea as to how long this puppy can fly on the stock recommended 1300 packs?
Ive heard someone talk about 5 minutes, that seems a little sad to be honest. Is it true?
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:51 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hemel Hempstead
Joined Feb 2010
61 Posts
You should get 10minutes+
depends on how heavy you are on the throttle

Malcolm
Flying_Flair is offline Find More Posts by Flying_Flair
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:15 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2006
538 Posts
The auto G requires a lot of throttle especially if it is calm,in these conditions i find i am at 3/4 throttle to full throttle and 5 minutes is about it --more lift in windy conditions so you can do some hovering and get a little more flight time but on average i find 5 minutes is about it for me without over discharging the 1300 mah bat.
helichoper is offline Find More Posts by helichoper
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:25 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Joined Mar 2012
494 Posts
Autogyros produce a lot of drag thus need the amperage to pull it through the air. Nature of the beast....
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:37 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofaman NJ View Post
Autogyros produce a lot of drag thus need the amperage to pull it through the air. Nature of the beast....
Plus the motor is quite larger, they use two of these to power the dh98 mossie, also the prop is very ineffiecent, considering using a gws 10x6 instead.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:46 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2006
538 Posts
I tried a master air screw 9x6 3 blade (didn't have a 10) and it had more power than stock,i think the 10 inch would be excellent.
helichoper is offline Find More Posts by helichoper
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:52 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
I must be flying a different Auto-G than most because I didn't have to shorten pushrods, put in bigger servos, put in a bigger Lipo, add more weight to the nose, change the prop, replace bearings or trim a ton of down in. I took three of them out of the box, glued the rudders on, installed the radio, put in the recommended battery, hand launched them, trimmed them out and handed them to their owners to fly out the rest of the battery charge. I fly mine for 8 or more minutes at a time while performing touch and goes, loops and giant barrel rolls, all while flying at night with a couple dozen LEDs lit up. Recharging only puts 800 ma back to full charge. I haven't had to replace a part on it except for a toothpick due to the wind catching the rotor while taxiing back to the pits. Must be the decals I put on it that make it special.
Ain't gonna say no more here.
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:15 AM
The 1st Sofaman
Joined Mar 2012
494 Posts
All we can do is off help Don.

This kind of ridiculous...

Unsubscribed.....
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:27 AM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Dave, did you read my Olly wing post?
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:42 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,685 Posts
G'day Don
Your the man They haven't got a clue..............
Chris..................
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:47 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,059 Posts
Group hug! I CAN FEEL IT COMING ON! SQUEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZEEEEEEEE!

O.K., I feel better!
Continue on please!
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:27 AM
Cheshire, England
Joined Mar 2001
504 Posts
An update on my 'wobble'
No play in the bolt holes on the blade grips or spacers but when I removed the blades and weighed them I found 0.5g difference. One at 24.4g, second at 24.5g and third at 24.9g.
I checked the balance along the blade length and all three were as close as I could measure - if it wasn't for my digi scales going down to 1/10th of a gramme I wouldn't be any wiser - so I took some time and added tape / stickers to the lighter blades to bring them all up to the same weight.
When re-fitted, I tilted the model 90 degrees over and checked again to make sure. It was still falling slightly on two blades and I needed more sellotape on the light one before I could get to the point where no matter where I stopped the head it would stay put.
Yesterday was a flat calm day so I braved the cold and went to try it out - absolutely perfect! The smoothest I've seen it fly and I ran a couple of packs out just enjoying the calm weather
Third pack in and a quarter way through the flight I pulled into a loop but on the way, out as it came around the bottom, one of the blades departed from the head and she shook her way, 40 feet or so, to the floor landing in a puddle just off the runway! The 'Y' plastic piece had given up (most likely due to past 'stresses' or even the imbalance before today).
The damage looked quite severe but I made sure I collected all the bits and started stripping things down. The fus was split right back to the main mast, motor and folding prop assembly completely covered in mud, servo gears stripped on aileron control, fin broken and push-rods bent / clevises broken. The blades looked OK and the motor shaft was straight.
I set about re-building this morning and before I knew it I had her ready again. I replaced both head servos with some old HS-55's I had on the shelf but everything else cleaned up / glued up nicely. I re-checked the balance on the blades until perfect, re-soldered some of the LED leads which were damaged and now just waiting for another chance .
I'm finding it hard to believe, but just 0.5g out of balance has made such a massive difference, works out to about 2%?. I know I'm not the first to say it on this thread, but make sure you take the time to balance the rotor head properly and you'll be rewarded in the air for sure.
Some are looking for flight times - I've always found that this varies so much between altitude (above sea level) and flying styles not to mention the ambient temperature and wind conditions. I know we're a couple of hundred feet at the most above sea level and in the winter so it's a couple of degrees above zero mostly (if you're lucky!) and I get seven minutes on the timer with roughly 800mAh gone from my 1300mAh packs. This is usually the point where my fingers are going numb from the cold, or I get a bit bored and do something stupid!
Happy New Year all
Cheers,
Richard.
Dangerous Dick is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous Dick
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:35 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,913 Posts
A quick question from a newby!!
Could you possibly use very thin plate alluminium for the Y section??
Just thinking that it would be strong and if you get thin enough it would still flex enough.

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101