SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:25 PM
The 1st Sofaman
United States, NJ, Hawthorne
Joined Mar 2012
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taget View Post
Hi all. Got my auto-g a few days ago, went together quick and looked great. I had read that the directions were wrong in regards to the head movement. I thought i had read the picture was shot from the front and it needed to be reversed or something to that effect. well i reversed the revers and ended up doing a pretty sweet snap roll into th ground doh! i have it all put back together and was wondering if someone could confirm while standing behind the gyro if i push the stick right should the rotor go right ? I have tried searching and cant seem to come up with the right answer. hoping to get another shot at flying her this weekend. Thanks all.
Standing behind the aircraft, Right aileron....they tilt to the right and same with left.

Turn with your rudder.....compliment and or correct the vertical position of the aircraft with your aileron (Roll) as you turn.
Sofaman NJ is online now Find More Posts by Sofaman NJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:44 PM
United States, MI, Marquette
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Thank you for confirming that for me. when i finally got it to fly i had a real nice takeoff it climbed out without input, it wasn't until i touched the ailerons that it went to hell in the handbasket

No worries, its all part of the hobby.

Thanks again.
Taget is offline Find More Posts by Taget
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CNC Machine update.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:41 AM
Malaysia, Sarawak, Kuching
Joined Jun 2011
74 Posts
I think it is very easy to loose orientation at about 45deg. from our eye lever. I crash 2 times because of this! I think i need to practice more. Anyone have same problem?
ukionz is offline Find More Posts by ukionz
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:02 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2006
538 Posts
Yes i have the same problem,i did this to hopefully help some.
helichoper is offline Find More Posts by helichoper
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofaman NJ View Post
Standing behind the aircraft, Right aileron....they tilt to the right and same with left.

Turn with your rudder.....compliment and or correct the vertical position of the aircraft with your aileron (Roll) as you turn.

My directions were backwards too. So going against my intuition and common sense i followed the manual. It flew...... a very short ways before smashing into the ground Broke the rotor head plate. I just installed the spare and now going out to the field with hopefully better results.
Cheers ~
airtimeallen is offline Find More Posts by airtimeallen
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:18 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Joined Mar 2012
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukionz View Post
I think it is very easy to loose orientation at about 45deg. from our eye lever. I crash 2 times because of this! I think i need to practice more. Anyone have same problem?
Some guys paint each side a different color. I have seen other guys glue some thin Depron foam from the head down to the tail and paint that also. You may want to put a light on the nose so you know it is coming towards you.

Autogyros are tricky in the air.....I get disoriented too and I have been doing this stuff for a long time.

Keep the gyro close to you.....sunny days help and overcast days make the whole thing look like a shadow.

Hang in there guys....

Dave
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
283 Posts
That was much better. Still took half the runway to get off the ground, but pretty fun to fly. Definitely a keeper ~
airtimeallen is offline Find More Posts by airtimeallen
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:18 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimeallen View Post
That was much better. Still took half the runway to get off the ground, but pretty fun to fly. Definitely a keeper ~
Congrats Allen. I'm surprised it's not pouring down raining there! If there's no wind, it takes a while to get the rotor up to speed.

Don
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:47 AM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Quote:
Some guys paint each side a different color. I have seen other guys glue some thin Depron foam from the head down to the tail and paint that also. You may want to put a light on the nose so you know it is coming towards you.

Autogyros are tricky in the air.....I get disoriented too and I have been doing this stuff for a long time.

Keep the gyro close to you.....sunny days help and overcast days make the whole thing look like a shadow.

Hang in there guys....

Dave
Because of this, today I hardly crashed my Dag 60. I will try to put a bright led up and down the nose. While flying a plane I can orientate myself by colour scheme and passing by the sun is not a problem because of the higher speed.
Whith a gyro, instead, you can stay 2/3 seconds or more in front of the sun and all you can see is a dark silhouette. Maybe a led will tell you if the silhouette is inbound to you or outbound
ask21! is offline Find More Posts by ask21!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Joined Mar 2012
494 Posts
Ask21....now you are on the right track!!! I have often thought of putting super bright LEDs on the horizontal stab and landing gear both shining on the fuselage. I think that would help out. I have not experimented in quite some time now. This winter, I hope to get my new workbench in place and actually get some things done.

One more thing I do....if I can, I make sure the sun is directly behind me so it shows onto the gyro. Keep her close!

Dave
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:24 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Dave, did you get yours yet? You still have one more day to get it for Christmas With your flying skills, you'll find this one rather uneventful. I use mine as a warm up and thumb loosener for my more challenging gyros.

Merry Christmas to all!

Don
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:36 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Joined Mar 2012
494 Posts
Heck.....hope it does not come during the holidays......the wife will see it!!!!

Dave
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Joined Mar 2012
494 Posts
I need to keep her busy and intercept the mailman!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:01 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
I need to keep her busy and intercept the mailman!
LOL I've performed that maneuver many times. Somehow she always figures it out though. Ha

Don
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:36 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimeallen View Post
My directions were backwards too. So going against my intuition and common sense i followed the manual. It flew...... a very short ways before smashing into the ground Broke the rotor head plate. I just installed the spare and now going out to the field with hopefully better results.
Cheers ~
So the manual is wrong?.
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac